Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Oooohh...

I'm getting excited now!

Houllier in France but Villa to announce his appointment as manager

Sep 8 2010 by Mat Kendrick

Aston Villa are still set to announce Gerard Houllier as their new manager today after it was confirmed that the Frenchman has been in Paris for talks with French football officials.

Houllier is believed to have met with Fernando Duchaussoy, president of the French Football Federation, to resign his position as France's technical director and will remain on the Continent until tomorrow.

Villa officials hope to release an official statement by this evening. And Houllier will meet with the players at Bodymoor Heath tomorrow before a press conference.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Villa Insider on twitter had this to say 5 minutes ago:

#AVFC Here we go. It starts. Houllier is in town.

And now:

#AVFC Gerard Houllier is Aston Villa's new manager, replacing Martin O'Neill on a 3 year contract.

Probably said already but Houllier had the right idea about that prick Ginola, that alone endears me to him.

What did he say about that prick Ginola? If it was suitably derogatory it further endears me to him too.

Starting to like him now

I'm very pleased his first game will be an away one. From my experiences away fans are generally much better. We all know how fickle home fans (of any team can be). Houllier is gonna need 100% support from the fans for the first game.

What would be fickle about the home fans? Surely by definition it would take at least two games for fans to be fickle about the new manager?
I wouldn't put it past a few idiots to start booing the team if we're not winning at half-time for Houllier's first game if it were at home.

What would be fickle about the home fans? Surely by definition it would take at least two games for fans to be fickle about the new manager?

This is the thing really - fickle is a word that gets used a lot but generally incorrectly. 'Fickle fans' is generally another way of saying 'arseholes' when really it's just people who change their minds easily and don't show loyalty.

It amazes me that we even have to debate whether our new manager will get 100% support to be honest. What would be the advantage to be gained by not supporting him?
Some people just enjoy not giving somebody a chance. I know it's only the small minority of Villa fans that are like that but it's still really annoying.

It amazes me that we even have to debate whether our new manager will get 100% support to be honest. What would be the advantage to be gained by not supporting him?

None.

There's never really an advantage to not supporting the team but try telling that to the people who continually slagged off a man who showed improved results, year on year.

I'm very pleased his first game will be an away one. From my experiences away fans are generally much better. We all know how fickle home fans (of any team can be). Houllier is gonna need 100% support from the fans for the first game.

I dont think there is any doubt that he will do?

People respond to speculation, and why not? We all have an opinion on certain managers. I did not rate MON that highly, but it never stopped me backing him, or singing his name.

Now Houllier is our manager, you will find that he will be backed, and he will be for a while. If we start losing on a consistant basis, then he will lose support, but thats the nature of being a manager at any club in the world.

None.

There's never really an advantage to not supporting the team but try telling that to the people who continually slagged off a man who showed improved results, year on year.

Without getting into a MON debate, I think the issue could have been that those improved results could have been even more improved.. if he hadn't been so stubborn with some of his choices.