Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a question...

I posted this earlier but it didn't get responses.

What if, when DOL left, RL picked Houllier instead of MON?

I'm really curious what the reactions would have been from Villa fans AT THAT TIME with an appointment like this, considering where we stood under DOL.

Just remember back, ignore the intervening years under MON, and imagine, immediately post DOL, along comes Houllier to take over.

Thoughts?

cheers, Gary

i wonder is he in a birmingham hotel.

I just saw Zahia Dehar come out of the Hyatt

And I just saw Luke Moore going into Dado's Tattoo shop on Station road in Erdington !

What you on about? I saw him five minutes ago asking Northfield Town's manager if he could play for them! Other side of town so can't be right! :P

Here's a question...

I'm really curious what the reactions would have been from Villa fans AT THAT TIME with an appointment like this, considering where we stood under DOL.

Just remember back, ignore the intervening years under MON, and imagine, immediately post DOL, along comes Houllier to take over.

Thoughts?

cheers, Gary

After O'Leary the Yorkshire Ripper would have had a rousing reception :lol:

Here's a question...

Thoughts?

cheers, Gary

In all honesty I'd have lost the plot. His reputation was damaged by his terrible signings at the end of the liverpool reign, we had a squad in tatters after DOL and no way I'd have had confidence in Houllier to rebuild it even with Randys money.

But taking over the squad we have now he'll do a fine job and hopefully do better in the transfer market this time round as there is no surgery required.

Here's a question...

Thoughts?

cheers, Gary

In all honesty I'd have lost the plot. His reputation was damaged by his terrible signings at the end of the liverpool reign, we had a squad in tatters after DOL and no way I'd have had confidence in Houllier to rebuild it even with Randys money.

But taking over the squad we have now he'll do a fine job and hopefully do better in the transfer market this time round as there is no surgery required.

i would have been worried before and i am worried now,imo i dont think he'll do much better this time around either.when he was at Liverpool they had a much better pull to get players there than what we have even now..as much as i'd like to have manager here that i think would do a good job,i think this appointment will fail..

I think this is a shrewd appointment by the board, one which I'm warming to.

Does he have premiership experience? check

Did he win trophies during said premiership experience? check

Does he have continental experience of winning? check

Is he widely respected within the game? check

I also think he's probably learnt from his mistakes in the transfer market, but as many have said for every Salif Diao you have a Dietmar Hamman, also it's easy to forget that the whole Liverpool team when he took the reigns needed rebuilding, we're different we're two or three players short of ruffling a few feathers in the top four, and hopefully Gerard can unearth these. I'm looking forward to what the future holds.

Gratitude my arse.

If when Houllier's manager we lose a game, despite the fact that all the best/ in form players are on the pitch and we don't make any glaringly obvious mistakes. I'll always clap the team as the final whistle goes.

I'd like to think that a lot of other Villa fans would do the same.

However.. if Gabby and Ash get left on the bench and we play Heskey on the wing and James Collins upfront, I won't boo.. but I will feel a bit robbed of points.

Because that applies to MON how..?

You mentioned "try telling that to the people who continually slagged off a man who showed improved results, year on year".

I was mentioning a side of O'Neill's criticism that I thought was justified.

Maybe we have our wires crossed. But I think that criticising a manager who leaves your best rightback on the bench and plays an attacking partnership of Heskey and Carew is deserved.

I was a MON fan, I always backed him and gave him the benefit of the doubt. But having blind faith in the man and ignoring any faults would have been pointless.

I'm not saying that people should have had blind faith in him or indeed in anyone else. The fact is, they didn't appreciate what he did for the club. They focussed solely on the negatives and would flatly refuse to acknowledge his positive points which in reality, far outweighed his negative ones.

FWIW MON rarely played Carew and Heskey together and leaving Luke Young on the bench did not have a significant effect on the season whatsoever as with Cuellar at RB we had the best defence in the country for a long portion of the season.