Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got home and seen Donadoni has thrown his name in. If it happened we could have some players with amazing names for the back of the shirt. I think I'd rather have a cool name on the back of my shirt than some french clown buying Frode Kippe and Bjorn Tore Kvarme every week. Oh the choices Villa have at the moment none of which come down to management.

Well I am watching the Ireland game , dont know where the commentrary is from, although the guy is English.

They said about 10 mins ago, speaking about Dunne, that Houllier is the clear favourite for the job, and that reports are that he will be announced shortly.

If this is true, much much happier.

There are worries with it, one being a dodgy heart (I nearly collapsed on Sunday so god knows how he'd get on) , and some dogy players signed.

However, these arent as bad as people make out - Cisse was a great player, just never worked out for Liverpool. He is still in the France team 10 yrs on, when they have Anelka and Henry so he must a bit useful.

He took a Liverpool side that were similar to now, up to 2nd, 3rd and at worst 5th, he won cups at home and abroad, and he blooded youngsters like a 19yr old Steven Garrard, slightly older Carragher etc...

Yep - I'd take him !

Put it this was I'd take Gerard Houlliers heart surgeon ahead of bloody Curbishley !

I've got to admit that I have never liked Houllier ever since he tried to defend Gerrards two footed lunge on Boateng, but I would support him if he became manager(none of this DOF shit please though). I had hoped that we would find a manager that would get some good football on show but if we can't find a man to do that then I suppose we may as well have one that can make the team win ugly.

I agree paul. With Houllier we are at least aiming high. We are signing someone who has actually won things; and won them in England. He may or may not work out at this stage - like all potential appointments - but he has at least done well previously. Whereas with the likes of Curbishley you are absolutely guaranteeing mediocrity IMO and are not aiming high at all. All we can do is try and push on after O'Neill; and with Houllier I think we have one of the few who have been there, done it and actually succeeded in the Premier League. Not to mention being available.

I agree paul. With Houllier we are at least aiming high. We are signing someone who has actually won things; and won them in England. He may or may not work out at this stage - like all potential appointments - but he has at least done well previously. Whereas with the likes of Curbishley you are absolutely guaranteeing mediocrity IMO and are not aiming high at all. All we can do is try and push on after O'Neill; and with Houllier I think we have one of the few who have been there, done it and actually succeeded in the Premier League. Not to mention being available.

I dont want curbishley BOF but im interested to hear why you think he would guarantee mediocrity. You only have to look at Charlton now to see he must have been doing a half decent job.

West Ham - well there was defo summit goin on ther then wasnt there?

Serious question (and I know Im not Moyes' biggest fan) but can people honestly say that David Moyes has achieved more at Everton than Curbishley did at charlton?

I've just posted this on the Gens thread, but I am gonna put it here as it is apt. I had stick yesterday from people when I went berzerk over Curbishley.

Now just coz I am 40 and someone who is 20 - doesn't mean I am a better fan. But I think I put it well below - why - I do not want Curbislhey under ANY circumstances. hope it shows why some of us are so anti him

-----

I read your response and to be honest, can't disagree. However, this is why I myself am angry (and, yep - it's all media speculation).

You yourself keep saying things like "left the club high and dry" "left us in the lurch" - and things to that effect. So, presumably, you ain't very happy with martin O'Neill at the momet (and I will say I told you so , coz I told you many many times !)

So think of my dismay when I hear that we have interviewed a guy who did exactly the same to us 25 yrs ago, leaving us to get relegated, then when we did, was all over the TV, press with a smug grin on his face saying "Joining Villa was the biggest mistake of my career"

And THAT is why I was / am angry ! and yes, it was 25 yrs ago. But this club was dying at the time, I am sure you can associate with this. Some chose to stay and fight - the likes of Allan Evans, some chose to run away, the likes of Steve McMahon - and some, chose to run, join the enemy and tried to kill us - and sorry, would you trust a guy who did that to you - no matter how much time passed ?

Just coz I am older, doesn't make me more of a fan. But what it does do is I / some others have longer memories, and can remember the people who took the pee out of this club (Curb / Hodge - sorry wash my mouth out / Collymore / Curcic / and the most, McNeill !) and the ones that bled claret and blue (Graham Taylor to name one that often gets slagged off on here. Believe me, if it wasn't for him, Randy wouldn't have a tattoo, as there would be no football club !)

We have a motto Proud History / Bright Future - I just wish (again, if it is true of course) that someone had looked at the history before we interviewed ! (and I apologise if he never was interviewed and it was media crap !)

I dont want curbishley BOF but im interested to hear why you think he would guarantee mediocrity. You only have to look at Charlton now to see he must have been doing a half decent job.

Serious question (and I know Im not Moyes' biggest fan) but can people honestly say that David Moyes has achieved more at Everton than Curbishley did at charlton?

Charlton were mediocre though weren't they? The job he did in getting them here and obviously their demise after he went suggests how well he did there but they were an average, boring and mediocre side.

He, despite escaping blame, is one of the reasons West Ham are so financially ****, we moan about MON and his control of wages here but Curbs was awful at hammers in that respect, money spent on crocks like Upson, Boa Morte and Dyer, not to mention Llungberg, pretty unforgiveable record of signings there actually for me. True things were going on behind the scenes that were out of order and I feel Curbs was right to mantain his integrity and leave, but he has a record of producing mundane teams. I just think he has all the same flaws as MON...a bit of a paupers version of MON if you like. That's just my opinion though, I mean, I truly am dead set against him as an appointment.

I do think Moyes has done a better job, I mean, he broke the top four with barely any money, only Spurs have done it since and on a huge budget with a much better squad, remember Moyes team of that year cruising up to Villa for a 3-1, he got them playing above themselves as well, people like Osman played big parts in that. I think Moyes signings have been better, Everton more money than Charlton but then it shows doesn't it, Everton until last season had been 5th for two years running I think it was. Moyes is a much better manager than Curbishley, don't think many would dispute it really.

I've just posted this on the Gens thread, but I am gonna put it here as it is apt. I had stick yesterday from people when I went berzerk over Curbishley.

Now just coz I am 40 and someone who is 20 - doesn't mean I am a better fan. But I think I put it well below - why - I do not want Curbislhey under ANY circumstances. hope it shows why some of us are so anti him

-----

I read your response and to be honest, can't disagree. However, this is why I myself am angry (and, yep - it's all media speculation).

You yourself keep saying things like "left the club high and dry" "left us in the lurch" - and things to that effect. So, presumably, you ain't very happy with martin O'Neill at the momet (and I will say I told you so , coz I told you many many times !)

So think of my dismay when I hear that we have interviewed a guy who did exactly the same to us 25 yrs ago, leaving us to get relegated, then when we did, was all over the TV, press with a smug grin on his face saying "Joining Villa was the biggest mistake of my career"

And THAT is why I was / am angry ! and yes, it was 25 yrs ago. But this club was dying at the time, I am sure you can associate with this. Some chose to stay and fight - the likes of Allan Evans, some chose to run away, the likes of Steve McMahon - and some, chose to run, join the enemy and tried to kill us - and sorry, would you trust a guy who did that to you - no matter how much time passed ?

Just coz I am older, doesn't make me more of a fan. But what it does do is I / some others have longer memories, and can remember the people who took the pee out of this club (Curb / Hodge - sorry wash my mouth out / Collymore / Curcic / and the most, McNeill !) and the ones that bled claret and blue (Graham Taylor to name one that often gets slagged off on here. Believe me, if it wasn't for him, Randy wouldn't have a tattoo, as there would be no football club !)

We have a motto Proud History / Bright Future - I just wish (again, if it is true of course) that someone had looked at the history before we interviewed ! (and I apologise if he never was interviewed and it was media crap !)

Think your taking this far too seriously tbh

For me, Curbs has a glass ceiling. I think he is capable of getting any club to 8th in the Premier League. That club could be Charlton or it could be Manchester United. I just think that is the level of Curbs' ability regardless. I'm sure, as someone so succinctly put it in here earlier, that Curbs would turn us from a top 6 side into a top 8 side.

If we were bottom half, Curbs would be a good appointment because he would achieve exactly that - top 8. But we're not. We need someone who knows what it takes to finish in the top 4. Even if he doesn't end up achieving it, we will have at least tried to do so and we will have someone of that calibre at the helm and for me that's important. We need to be continuing our attempts to climb up the league otherwise what's the point?

-----

Think your taking this far too seriously tbh

I think he is just being passionate about the club, fair enough IMO.