Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

And what if someone employed like Moyes is No 1 target but they won't resign... and the said club won't let him go?

Then Villa will have no choice but to go with what is available.... and I for one will support whoever it is they choose,

I'm certainly not going to rubbish the guy before he sets foot inside the door!

All I'd like to see is the homegrown mainly British core of the squad remain as a policy.. I don't want to watch a load of foreign

mercenaries playing in the famous C & B, but I'm not against some obviously....That is a personal opinion though...others may disagree.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what if someone employed like Moyes is No 1 target but they won't resign... and the said club won't let him go?

Then Villa will have no choice but to go with what is available.... and I for one will support whoever it is they choose,

I'm certainly not going to rubbish the guy before he sets foot inside the door!

All I'd like to see is the homegrown mainly British core of the squad remain as a policy.. I don't want to watch a load of foreign

mercenaries playing in the famous C & B, but I'm not against some obviously....That is a personal opinion though...others may disagree.

If they won't resign then at least we've tried. I've got a gut feeling that our appointment is going to shock/surprise a lot of us (and I'm excited in that respect.) Does anyone else not feel, that if it was someone that was un-employed it would have been tied up by now?

It is said that Villa want a manager who can build a dynasty. Houllier and Sven are aged, what? 62/63. Hardly here for the long term. I'm surprised that they're being mentioned so seriously and will be surprised if they get the nod unless they are working alongside Kev Mack.

It is said that Villa want a manager who can build a dynasty. Houllier and Sven are aged, what? 62/63. Hardly here for the long term. I'm surprised that they're being mentioned so seriously and will be surprised if they get the nod unless they are working alongside Kev Mack.

Agree. Also makes me wonder about premiership experience. If we get someone in who doesn't have it, K-Mac can get them upto speed as first team coach.

... Who is this Donadoni guy - he's put his application in.

Having done some Wikkying, seems life we'd be better off with Donatello !

:crylaugh: Thank you for that! At least with Donatello we'd know we were in the Renaissance Age and not the mist of the fall of the Roman Empire!

I genuinely haven't got a clue who I would want as manager. Moyes and Jol would possibly be my favourites. Hughes would have been a good choice I think but that's about it. Some of the names mentioned are just not, er, sexy enough. Such a tough choice for Randy and the board. Every name put forward gets slagged by certain parts of the board. Not one single, sensible suggestion has been universally accepted.

http://tinyurl.com/2va7n94

Surprised no-one has picked up on this. The General confirms we are looking at managers that are currently employed! Shows the media know naff all.

How amusing, it all stemmed from him in the first place

Yep it did with his loyalty comment.

Although he did later clarify this was his view as a fan, not a board member

Did it ever occur to you that I, speaing as a Fan and former Marine who values loyalty, may not want a Manager who would up and desert his Club for additional money? I may well think that such a Manager might not be "right" for our Club. Again, I am NOT saying that is a criteria, I am just saying AS A FAN, NOT A BOARD MEMBER, I am not sure that getting someone who has bailed from their Club is something I would feel comfortable about. It is for this reason that discussing the Manager and the criteria is NOT something I am going to do. There is NO value in such a debate...for the Fans or for me. Randy has said he will announce the name...and I will just wait for that to happen.
:confused: :confused:

At the end of the day IF the Club can't get the Manager we really want then what do we do? Give it to Kevin who will still need to bring in new staff, or another out of work Manager with experience? We will have to decide & accept it like it or not.

Of course we hope that the Board can come up with something to excite us but maybe it is time to lower our expectations of getting the man we want and come to terms with the clubs choice.

The Daily Mail have published a story stating that Houllier will be manager. They seem very certain of it and papers don't usually state things like this as fact unless they are pretty sure of it.

Was that he one earlier where the headline did not match the article?

Also it is the Daily Mail...

Houllier - yes , as long as he signs a contract that he WONT bring Phil Feckin Thompson with him !!!!

You mean the bloke that got LIverpools highest finish in the Premier League whilst Houllier was off sick (only time Liverpool came runners up was with Thompson in temporary control of the club)

Didn't Rafa equal that feat?

Yes sorry he did, I meant up until that point really, they've now finished second twice but up to the end of Houllier, Thompson was the only manager to achieve that

The Daily Mail have published a story stating that Houllier will be manager. They seem very certain of it and papers don't usually state things like this as fact unless they are pretty sure of it.

... who in Neil Moxley have probably the journalist closest to the inside of VP. don't dismiss it because its the Daily Heil.

How Gerard Houllier the Eurocrat won over Aston Villa while Sven Goran Eriksson failed to impress

Aston Villa will announce their new management team early next week with Gerard Houllier expected to link up with current caretaker boss Kevin MacDonald.

The Birmingham club are expected to introduce the duo formally either on Monday or Tuesday after bringing their search for Martin O'Neill's successor to a close.

Houllier, 63, is understood to favour becoming boss in his own right - although Villa want a directorial figure who can help plug the gap left by the walkout by O'Neill and his staff.

Villa owner Randy Lerner compiled a four-man shortlist, aimed at making a quick decision before Villa's next league outing at Stoke on September 13.

Sven Goran Eriksson failed to impress and Houllier's greater experience and pan-European contact base were favoured over Alan Curbishley.

Alan Curbishley

Ivory Coast's coach Sven-Goran Eriksson

Lerner was keen to hand MacDonald a job in the set-up, but it was the failure to progress in the Europa League - and not the 6-0 hammering by Newcastle - that cost him the chance to manage in his own right.

It appears the ex-Liverpool midfielder, 49, will be given first-team coaching duties with the Frenchman directing from above.

I think we sometimes forget that we are short staffed and need a management TEAM!! Therefore, I wonder if we HAVE to try to tempt a manager currently employed or we'd be trying to fit a jigsaw together of available coaches, managers and scouts!! I live in hope.

... Who is this Donadoni guy - he's put his application in.

Having done some Wikkying, seems life we'd be better off with Donatello !

:crylaugh: Thank you for that! At least with Donatello we'd know we were in the Renaissance Age and not the mist of the fall of the Roman Empire!

I think he meant the one with a shell on his back ;-)

... who in Neil Moxley have probably the journalist closest to the inside of VP. don't dismiss it because its the Daily Heil.

He is a Small Heath fan though...