Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Houlliers brand of football is awful to watch, and he is terrible in the transfer market and is not very good at bringing through youngsters, why anyone would see him as a good appointment is beyond me.

A mountain of trophies might have something to do with it.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Houlliers brand of football is awful to watch, and he is terrible in the transfer market and is not very good at bringing through youngsters, why anyone would see him as a good appointment is beyond me.

This.

We need an attack-minded manager whos brand of football will draw people to Villa Park...Klinnsman etc

This.

We need an attack-minded manager whos brand of football will draw people to Villa Park...Klinnsman etc

Completely agree.

Megson.

houllier would be a joke,been out the game for too long,if thats the height of our ambitions we might as well give up now.

He resigned from Lyon in 2007 on the back of two succesive league titles. That is hardly a long time ago. He won two League cups, one FA cup and the UEFA cup while with Liverpool. Only that clubs obsession with winning the Premiership and their belief that they have a divine right to win it led to his exit. His record is one of success wherever he has managed. He'll do for me. None of the other candidates come close to his pedigree.

The Guardian article talked about one of Houllier's duties being o set up a global scouting network at hte club. Which would certainly help us out (if we're actually going to buy some players ever).

That's fine.

The problems will start happening when Houllier starts to buy players without manager's permission or sells.

The manager needs to be the one who decides who comes in and out, Houllier can recommend players but manager needs to be the one making all the decisions. So the players he has are the players he wants.

Also what happens when Houllier (or whoever is DOF) wants to affect team selection or tactics as they invariably will want to do

I don't think it's a straight choice between Houllier, Curbs, Sven or Mac myself. If it was that simple then one of those guys would probably have been appointed by now (by today at least) as all of those apparently were interviewed one or two (or three) days ago.

Imo we're trying to sort out a compo for a manager in a job, or we're still searching as we're not totally satisfied with either of the aforementioned candidates.

The Guardian article talked about one of Houllier's duties being o set up a global scouting network at hte club. Which would certainly help us out (if we're actually going to buy some players ever).

That's fine.

The problems will start happening when Houllier starts to buy players without manager's permission or sells.

The manager needs to be the one who decides who comes in and out, Houllier can recommend players but manager needs to be the one making all the decisions. So the players he has are the players he wants.

Also what happens when Houllier (or whoever is DOF) wants to affect team selection or tactics as they invariably will want to do

What happens on the continant?

It is actually the norm to have the director of football model for most clubs in professional football so I'd imagion we would stick pretty closely to what those clubs do if we adopted this model.

It's not like there isn't a blueprint to work from.

Tornado's making friends!

5 posts in and he's already been called a xenophobe, a villa "fan" and made Tom go back to work!!

:lol:

I literally did Rob for about 30 secs. Then noticed the general had posted. Which led to read Tornado's post in the generals thread. Numpty!