Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

What???

Its all yonks ago mate. Anyone (with any sense/life) whos got half a clue of what your banging on about, has passed caring. In a thread about our new manager you bring up how your still bitter about how Steve McMahon left us to die. Its called football. Players move on, are outspoken, people make mistakes. At the end of the day no ones died from it all.

I'm with P&D here. I can see that at times players may leave Villa to join a "bigger" club or to try their luck elsewhere. That is football. It is a very rare thing indeed for a player to stick to a single club these days.

However, there is a BIG difference between deciding that you need a change, chosing a really bad time to leave and then really disrespecting the club after you have left.

Take Richard Dunne for example - no Man City fan in their right mind would take issue with the way that he left the team and the respect that he has shown Man City since he left.

However, Curbs did leave with probably even worse timing than MON - but more importantly some of his comments after leaving were wildly inappropriate.

I actually quite like Curbs as a manager and think he did very well at Charlton, although his reputation was tarnished by the West Ham debacle. However, even though it was 25 years ago - I still think that the massive disrespect counts hugely against him. This for me is enough to suggest that he has burnt his bridges at our club.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd welcome him, and to say most of his transfers have been shit is just wrong. Okay, some of his transfers at Liverpool were not up to it, but there is some real quality in the list of players he bought at Lyon.

If Houllier could put us in a good position to land emerging talent in Ligue 1, that would give us a great starting point. Even in a DOF role, his name would make us an attractive proposition for French players, much like Wenger at Arsenal.

Definatley want David Moye's. He is the only one out there on the same level as Martin.

I don't think this will happen though. But he's the man i.m.o

I think Kevin Mac will get the job. Only time will tell if he is the right man for the job. This maybe the case for the short term, but we need a big name to build on the sucess that the club has achieved in a the last 3 years under o'neil.

I like Mark Hughes but i don't think he is the answer. He didn't exactly set the world alight at Blackburn or Man city.

I'll be completely honest with you, irrespective of age. Your post lost ALL credibility for me, the second you started using 'coz' instead of 'because' maybe petty, however if you can't be bothered to use credible english, then I can't see anybody taking you to seriously.

Whoops!

God some of you lot are amazing.

Whoever thinks that someone with the experience and know how of Houllier is not good enough for Villa is in dreamland.

He will have a scouting network set up that would be second to none.

Also, for people who think that we have dragged out heels I disagree.

MON left us at a very difficult time but we have managed to tick over up to now and they have used the International break to sort it out.

I would be happy with Houllier as either a manager of DOF.

The only way we can get Moyes is for him to resign,which he won't do,the same with Hughes & Jol.

A blow but this happened back in the days of getting Big Ron,Wednesday would not let us speak to him but he was prepared to resign & he did.

The only way we can get Moyes is for him to resign,which he won't do,the same with Hughes & Jol.

A blow but this happened back in the days of getting Big Ron,Wednesday would not let us speak to him but he was prepared to resign & he did.

Indeed. It appears Moyes is loyal to Everton for the moment.

First off, we have and are continuing to look at Managers who are currently employed, are outside of the UK, are not outside of the UK and who are not employed. Simple as that.'

How? He confirms we're looking at managers that are currently employed, unemployed from home and abroad.

nd.

He will have a scouting network set up that would be second to none.

Really? Is there any evidence for this? Theres plenty of evidence to the contrary

His youth policy at Liverpool was derided (plenty of people asked the question, how did Wenger get all the good French kids, when Liverpool had the former director of the youth academy as manager), some of his purchases were simply baffling (a far bigger % than MON). If we think Downing was overpriced last year, Houllier paid £10mil for Diouf in 2002!

Houllier - yes , as long as he signs a contract that he WONT bring Phil Feckin Thompson with him !!!!

You mean the bloke that got LIverpools highest finish in the Premier League whilst Houllier was off sick (only time Liverpool came runners up was with Thompson in temporary control of the club)

To me- I just want to see us try - that is the word - try !!!

Curbishley for me is a no for a seperate reason, but the similar names - the likes of Brown, even Allardyce (and I really like Allerdyce) = you know what you are going to get.

And to be fair to the likes of Allardyce - that will be not bad - top 8ish, maybe a cup run etc.. - but I want us to TRY and aim higher.

Or another way - be bold, be adventureous.

Now, we tried it before, 1991 a Certain Dr Jo came into Brum to the cries of "who the hell ????????" - but I / and I have never heard any one else either, never had a go at Ellis over this. We lost the England manager - the best, there was no better in England (well one, which we got eventually) , so we tried something, and got it wrong.

However, a very few years later, Arsenal were in a similar position and took a French nobody from Japan ! - I always remember down Villa PArk at the time "huhhuh- Arsy rocket polisher , who the **** is Arsy rocket polisher" - and the rest is history.

Foe all those who have kids, I bet you've said this a million times. "As long as you try your best, then thats all I can ask"

And to me, thats the Villa. Get a Curbishley, Brown and that ilk - you are accepting mediocrity and show no effort.

Be brave, show some vision - if it goes wrong, so be it - there will always be a Big Ron around the corner to steady the ship

But get it right............................

(and as for Thompson - I couldnt care if he had won the treble - I still cant stand the bloke !)

It certainly adds fuel to the fire about the smokescreen - all this speculation has allowed them to quietly get on the job while the press and the fans speculate on a list of out of work managers. For all we know Hitzfield, Jol etc could well be on our radar, and for an appointment that's taken this long to sort out, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be slightly dissapointed if we weren't looking at talented and employed managers.

Houllier - yes , as long as he signs a contract that he WONT bring Phil Feckin Thompson with him !!!!

You mean the bloke that got LIverpools highest finish in the Premier League whilst Houllier was off sick (only time Liverpool came runners up was with Thompson in temporary control of the club)

Didn't Rafa equal that feat?