Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin Mcdonald as first team manager will be one monumental mistake...aston villa football club is not a puppy for xmas.

if anyone other than an experienced man is appointed we are in trouble.... you can't listen to the players, its just pointless.

My order of preference of candiates mentioned

David Moyes

Mark Hughes

Alan Cubishley

Sven Goran Eriksson

Ronald Koeman

Kevin MacDonald

Phil Brown

Gareth Saouthgate

Mine ...

David Moyes

Mark Hughes

Jurgen Klinsmann

Peter Sutcliffe

Myra Hindley

Les Dawson

Robbie Williams

David O'Leary

Sven

Koeman

MacDonald

A Dog Shit In A Baguette

Alan Cubishley

Phil Brown

Gareth Southgate

What's up with the constant mention of Sidwell? 36 times.

I dont see the problem with Curbishley, he did wonders at Charlton signing the likes of Darren Bent for small transfers and promoted Scott Parker and Lee Bowyer through the youth ranks.

He had loads of injuries at West Ham but still got them in the top 10, he brought Parker and Craig Bellamy to West Ham so has a history of buying good players.

"Alan Curbishley's hopes of landing the Aston Villa job have been boosted after talks with the club."

This is certainly my favourite bit of the article. Of course his chances have been given a boost by having an interview. The Mirror really are a bunch of mongo's. His chances aren't too good if he doesn't have an interview.

Someone else has also commented something similar on the Villa News thread.

I dont see the problem with Curbishley

You should join the board then. They're as misguided as you

Employ him as a scratch card seller by all means. But lets leave him to his inevitable appointment as Fergie or Wenger's successor in the managerial stakes eh

Kevin Mcdonald as first team manager will be one monumental mistake...aston villa football club is not a puppy for xmas.

if anyone other than an experienced man is appointed we are in trouble.... you can't listen to the players, its just pointless.

Rare I've said this about one of your posts TRO but you are spot on.

Kev Mac shouldn't even be being considered. He lacks the essential quality we need in a manager at this time - experience.

Come on guys, stop panicking, this reminds me of us making signings we really thought were going to be shit, just because they didn't have fancy foreign names, or didn't come from "Big" clubs, like Harewood, Heskey etc.

Wer'e ****

I think Curbs has got something about him tbh. I can also see why he is not the most popular candidate mind you especially as he would be coming in on the back of one of the games most flambouyant characters. He does kinda seem like Mr Dull in comparison but i'm sure he's not that bad. Would personally prefer someone who has the potential in there somewhere to pull a rabbit out the hat & actually win us something though.

Ah well no harm in dreaming...

Employ him as a scratch card seller by all means. But lets leave him to his inevitable appointment as Fergie or Wenger's successor in the managerial stakes eh

Curbishley has Premier League Experince

This are his finsihing league positions in the Premier League

Charlton

1997/1998 - Divison 1 play off winner

1998/1999 - 18th

1999/2000 - Divison 1 Champions

2000/2001 - 9th

2001/2002 - 14th

2002/2003 - 12th

2003/2004 - 7th

2004/2005 - 11th

2005/2006 - 13th

Not bad for a side like Charlton, plus they got relegated after he left and look where they are now.

West Ham

2006/2007 - 15th

2007/2008 - 10th

He will have better players at Villa.

[

Like it or not - Lerner sold and bought players without a manager at the club. Pity he wasn't so hands on up to the deadline yesterday.

We're in the wrong thread for this, and you're clearly very aggravated so won't take this on board, but I'll try anyway.

Before MON resigned, (I'm told it was the day before the Valencia friendly but I can't confirm that) Lerner entered into a Memorandum of Understanding with Man City for the sale of Milner in exchange for money and Stephen Ireland.

It was a contract which, to all intents and purposes, bound us to selling Milner regardless of flood, pestilence and manager resignation. Backing out of that contract had a hefty penalty clause attached to it and would have cost millions.

Gazton,

Don't quite get that. A MOU is usually non binding and what'sthe point or value in signing a legally binding MOU. Why not just do the deal and agree to sell there and then subject to medicals andagreeing terms with players?

Curbishley has Premier League Experince

This are his finsihing league positions in the Premier League

Charlton

1997/1998 - Divison 1 play off winner

1998/1999 - 18th

1999/2000 - Divison 1 Champions

2000/2001 - 9th

2001/2002 - 14th

2002/2003 - 12th

2003/2004 - 7th

2004/2005 - 11th

2005/2006 - 13th

Not bad for a side like Charlton, plus they got relegated after he left and look where they are now.

West Ham

2006/2007 - 15th

2007/2008 - 10th

Its not a bad record. If we're looking at Curbs though we may as well give Peter Reid a go or maybe a Dave Jones or Mick McCarthy etc. All very much on the same level. Will do a job. Nothing inspirational about them.

We have established ourselves as a top 6 club over the last 3 seasons and it is going to take a very good manager to keep us there and an exceptional one to take us any further. Curbs and the like will take us to mid table mediocrity at best.

Charlton

2000/2001 - 9th

2001/2002 - 14th

2002/2003 - 12th

2003/2004 - 7th

2004/2005 - 11th

2005/2006 - 13th

West Ham

2006/2007 - 15th

2007/2008 - 10th

YEAH!

Those kind of stats really get me excited. Sure to have the crowds flooding back to Villa Park!. I bet the star names we have now would be queuing up to sign new deals too. Its not often a starname like Curbs comes on the market. He's obviously been fending off top job offers for the last few years with a shitty stick.

Bring on the dullest man in football double quick!

Rare I've said this about one of your posts TRO but you are spot on.

Kev Mac shouldn't even be being considered. He lacks the essential quality we need in a manager at this time - experience.

don't beat yourself up over it mark.... i'm sure there might be something between now a xmas you might warm too.lol