Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's to say that we have not been given permission to speak to Moyes? Unlikely but just because it is not in the press does not mean it definitely hasn't happened. What if the sudden surge in betting for Moyes was because someone knew that we had permission to speak to him?

I don't think Moyes would go back on his word. Especially since it was less than a month ago.

Who's to say that we have not been given permission to speak to Moyes? Unlikely but just because it is not in the press does not mean it definitely hasn't happened. What if the sudden surge in betting for Moyes was because someone knew that we had permission to speak to him?

I don't think Moyes would go back on his word. Especially since it was less than a month ago.

I'm pretty sure MON said a month before he walked out that it was not in his nature to down tools. Who knows what state Kenwright and Moyes' relationship is in. Time will tell.

MacDonald shouldn't even be under consideration. Bottom line is that the guy is a 50 year old reserve team coach with absolutely **** all experience of being a permanent manager of a club at any level let alone one that has just finished top 6 in the Premier League 3 seasons on the bounce.

It will very likely be 4 weeks since Mon left by the time the new manager is announced. Now no disrespect to Kevin but if he is the best man our board can find in that time then god help us as our problems will run much deeper than being a couple of players short oh and of course the missing screen on the North Stand :winkold:

Curbs moves to front of Villa job queue - Exclusive

Alan Curbishley's hopes of landing the Aston Villa job have been boosted after talks with the club.

Villa owner Randy Lerner returns to Birmingham today to weigh up his options on who should replace Martin O’Neill.

US businessman Lerner spent three days holed up at a London hotel with Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner interviewing candidates.

And Curbishley, who played for Aston Villa from 1983-1984, is believed to have met with them.

Curbishley,52, is out of work since leaving West Ham two years ago and previously spent 15 years establishing Charlton in the top-flight.

Villa chairman Lerner wants someone with Premier League experience as caretaker Kevin MacDonald is not their preferred option.

But potential moves for Everton’s David Moyes and Fulham’s Mark Hughes face huge hurdles with neither man in a rush to quit.

Curbishley’s fellow out-of-work bosses Gianfranco Zola, Gerard Houllier, Sven Goran Eriksson and Gareth Southgate are also very keen.

Curbishley told a Mirrorfootball podcast earlier this summer he would “love” the Villa job.

He said: “Anyone would be interested and I am, for sure. They are a massive club.

“I know a lot about them having played there and I would love it.”

Villa are fourth in the table after winning two of their first three League games despite O’Neill quitting five days before the start of the season.

But Villa crashed out of Europe under MacDonald following a shock loss to Austrian club Rapid Vienna and lost 6-0 at Newcastle.

click

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang: :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Who knows what Curbishley could do?

He has never had the chance to prove himself at this level and could be very very good.

Also, if we are worrying about wages, then surely Curbishley is the last man you'd want to appoint.

Look what he did with West Ham, putting injury prone players on massive wages.

From Wikipedia I know but a few players Curbishley has signed

He gained a reputation for signing good players for low prices, such as Clive Mendonca, John Robinson, Dean Kiely, Mark Kinsella, Chris Powell, Danny Mills, Andy Hunt and Darren Bent and also proved adept at bringing young players through the ranks, such as Lee Bowyer, Richard Rufus, Scott Parker and Paul Konchesky.

The 2007–08 Premier League season was relatively successful for Curbishley, as he led the club to a top ten finish despite long-term injuries to many of the key signings he had made that summer, including Scott Parker, Craig Bellamy, Kieron Dyer and Julien Faubert. Before the start of the 2008–09 Premier League season, there was ever increasing speculation about his future at the club.

Despite the club taking six points from their first three games, he was unhappy with the club's transfer policy after key players Anton Ferdinand and George McCartney were sold without his permission, a claim denied by the West Ham United board of directors, and he resigned his post on 2 September 2008.