Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know McLeish is tainted ( :) ), but I would take him over Curbishley any day.

In fact he'd be my choice ahead of Hughes, Sven, Allardyce and probably KM.

Don't understand the deathly silence every time his name is mentioned. He's ambitious, has a good record, and lives locally!

I don't know, I would prefer a longer term manager and if we hire him I just get the feeling he might **** off after 2 or 3 seasons at the helm.

You're probably right, but there aren't a lot of obvious managerial geniuses hanging around at the moment just waiting for the right club to build into something big.

I wouldn't be against Alan Curbishley at all, we need a steady hand. It might not have worked out at West Ham for him, but the club were in a

mess at the time. He also walked because of having no say in who would be bought & sold by the club IIRC. He was well respected at Charlton.

I really can't believe people still think it's anyone other than Kevin MacDonald.

We leave it three weeks to see if he wants the job. He then publicly announces he wants job. OS highlight this fact. Players all clamour for him to be signed. Very easy (and cheap!) for Lerner to appoint him. It's a done deal.

BUT don't make that obvious to the public. Look like you're going through the options, look like you're exploring every avenue. Pretend you would have had money for transfers if the transfer window hadn't been closed on announcement of new manager. Finally leave it at least a few days/ week until after transfer window has closed to try to dampen down any suggestions of previous comment.

I'll quite happily eat my words but I'm convinced this is the case. Villa want to reduce the wage bill.... mmm, very lucky inexperienced guy desperate for a job in the top division or someone like Sven who may demand a reasonably high wage.... tricky....

:notworthy:

The lack of respect for Mr Lerner and the General by certain contributors on here is quite shocking. It appears that the tabloid press journalists and that font of all knowledge, Sky Sports News, are far more believable than a couple of people who have brought so many positives to our club and never given us any reason to question their honesty and integrity.

If Mr Lerner were to just appoint KMac after putting up a pretence, why is he staying in Birmingham and travelling up and down to various European destinations in his search for a manager? All he would need to do is sit at home, make the 'pretence' that is described above, and appoint KMac.

And on the subject of KMac, a great Villa man, some of the comments about him on here are disgraceful. He has been thrown into the lion's den merely by stepping forward at a point when the club was in need.

He has been at our club for 15 years, and deserves far more respect than his detractors are showing him.

Talks with the club? That can mean anything.

Curbs - Hey guys, hire me!

AVFC - No.

Curbs - Please?

AVFC - Go away.

*click*

Curbs - Oh.

I'm pretty sure that was the Koeman interview actually. :lol:

I think that McLeish should be considered, he is better than most people mentioned for the job lately and is highly thought of by Ferguson.

Can you imagine how bad these boards are going to get if Mcleish gets the job? I mean MON outwitted Mcleish for 3 years up in Scotland without fail. MON got so much stick on this board so I can only imagine it would be worse for Mcleish.

However, that said whoever it is has an impossible task of keeping people on here happy.

I think that McLeish should be considered, he is better than most people mentioned for the job lately and is highly thought of by Ferguson.

Agree, been impressed with him at small heath. Seems a solid sort of bloke and I would have no problems with us nicking him from them. Unfortunately I think RL is too nicer a guy to do it to our inbred neighbours so it won't happen.

Curbs, please god no.

Sven, close but there are more reasons for yes than no. A sprinkle of quality foreign talent would do our squad the world of good IMO.

Phil Brown, I really don't know what to think. Every good manager out there was at his age and stage in their managerial career at some point. This is a wild card as none of know how he would perform at a non joke club.

Southgate, no chance at all. Creates teams that don't score.

Steve Mclaren :!:

Ive actually come round to the idea of this.

Yes...he's a bit of a tit, but...he is a brilliant club manager.

1. Jol

2. McLaren

3/4. Houllier or Sven

MacDonald as 1st team assistant manager to one of those named above would be an ideal solution for me. Ive got nothing against MacDonald as i think he has/is doing a decent job, i just think its a massive ask to throw him in there and expect him to do well.