Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

...However, if they take 3 weeks plus to appoint a man that they could have appointed at any point during that time then you have to wonder if the board were just waiting to get beyond the 1st of September to make the appointment.

I wonder how people can possibly know the length of time it takes to find, assess and hire a manager. Is there a book or something that says it takes 3 weeks? 8)

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...However, if they take 3 weeks plus to appoint a man that they could have appointed at any point during that time then you have to wonder if the board were just waiting to get beyond the 1st of September to make the appointment.

I wonder how people can possibly know the length of time it takes to find, assess and hire a manager. Is there a book or something that says it takes 3 weeks? 8)

Thank you for your usual witty/ patronising post.

Taking over three weeks, or however long to appoint the right man because there are complications ie he is currently employed etc. is absolutely fine. I have no problem with this at all.

Taking over three weeks to employ someone who could have been appointed at any point smells of 'playing the system'. Maybe I just hugely cynical.

It's going to be a shit season, isn't it?

Pretty much

Its hard to disagree with you there.

Imagine if Milner didnt want to leave, we'd probably be basking in the glory of an uneventfull summer right now, as we speak.

Taking over three weeks, or however long to appoint the right man because there are complications ie he is currently employed etc. is absolutely fine. I have no problem with this at all.

Taking over three weeks to employ someone who could have been appointed at any point smells of 'playing the system'. Maybe I just hugely cynical.

What about taking three weeks to employ someone who could have been appointed at any point, but spending the aforementioned three weeks performing an exhaustive yet fruitless* search for a new manager who has more experience / better pedigree / "insert alternative desirable characteristic here"?

*because of lack of availability, contract wrangles etc.

What about taking three weeks to employ someone who could have been appointed at any point, but spending the aforementioned three weeks performing an exhaustive yet fruitless* search for a new manager who has more experience / better pedigree / "insert alternative desirable characteristic here"?

*because of lack of availability, contract wrangles etc.

That would be a great vote of confidence to the new manager - 'we tried to get in a really good manager, but unfortunately they were all busy.. so we ended up with you. Good luck!'

Sorry, i'm just feeling exceedingly cynical about the whole situation at the moment.

I hear people saying that the club are goin the right way about appointing a new manager etc and would agree with that point but feel that they will have to get a man in charge in time to bring in a couple of players. Everyone knows we need a forward and there is no point bringing in a Keane etc if the new manager does want him.

Goin to be a interesting week or so at villa park

That would be a great vote of confidence to the new manager - 'we tried to get in a really good manager, but unfortunately they were all busy.. so we ended up with you. Good luck!'

Sorry, i'm just feeling exceedingly cynical about the whole situation at the moment.

im hoping but may be way off the mark that we may be able to get Jol if ajax go out the champions league tomorrow night.

I agree with you. If Ajax go out tomorrow then I think Jol would jump at the chance to return to the PL with a big club. However we would have to compensate Ajax to get him, and with the General's comments in mind (which could be read as we're only looking at 'available' candidates), it remains to be seen if we're prepared to do just that. Me, I think Randy might be tempted to spend some of the Milner money if it meant we could get Jol.

If that's indeed what we're waiting for then I for one have no problem waiting.

Hey, perhaps he could bring Suarez with him. Sulky little f*cker, but at least he would have saved Barton's shot on Sunday. Excellent shot-stopper from what I could gather at the WC.

All eyes on Ajax-Dinamo Kiev tomorrow.

I my opinion I do not think that we will appoint a 'decent' manager before the transfer window closes, this is not necessarily because Randy Lerner is stalling to prevent transfer monies being spent, but genuinely because the desirable managers are either not currently available or require a certain amount of courting before potentially jumping ship to the Villa. Again I do not believe that there is a suitable manager who is currently out of work how meets with our unique requirements.

Notwithstanding this however, whilst it would not be advisable for us to arbitarily buy players in this transfer window to appease the fans, surely trusting Kmac to sign a number of loan signings would be good business, ideally Huntalaar and Flamini who should meet with any new managers approval but if not can be returned to their clubs without any major financial outlay other than wages.

Interview with Bob Bradley on SSN coming up after the break right now.

You've got to give him credit. He'd be a complete disaster to appoint, but he's desperate for the job.

I think this interview shows he's not looking likely to get the job. He's had no contact, he's never spoken personally to Randy Lerner and he'd love the job.

He's desperate for the job. Throwing his name out there and talking live to SSN. He's not coming across well to me, also. Talking about how managing Aston Villa would be a great 'goal' for him.

No chance of him getting it imo. He would have had some contact at this point. The fact that he's pleading for himself on SSN speaks volumes.