Barry Bannan

villianusa

I haven't once stated Beckham was over rated, stole a living or wasn't world class. All I have asked for is a quality of his other than crossing which was world class and thus far no one has come back with anything. This was a view point from the late great George Best also... should he had considered a new hobby also for making the same observation?

I fully agree with Xela's post... he was the perfect professional and always gave 100% for his team even when they didn't have the ball and had truly great leadership stills. Any team in the world would benefit from these attributes.

Sorry, you've contradicted yourself there. You say no one has given you a quality other than Beckham's crossing which makes him a good player, then go on to say you agree with a post which has pointed out several other top qualities that Beckham had, whilst also pointing out just two of his other attributes which made him a fantastic player.

In no way was Beckham just someone who could cross a ball.

I haven't once stated Beckham was over rated, stole a living or wasn't world class. All I have asked for is a quality of his other than crossing which was world class and thus far no one has come back with anything. This was a view point from the late great George Best also... should he had considered a new hobby also for making the same observation?

I fully agree with Xela's post... he was the perfect professional and always gave 100% for his team even when they didn't have the ball and had truly great leadership stills. Any team in the world would benefit from these attributes.

Shocking? Not really.

This is like the Monty Python "Romans" sketch.

Apart from his excellent passing, set pieces, assists, goals, professionalism on and off the pitch, work rate, leadership, trophies... what has he done to be considered world class... :lol:

You need to find that infamous - yet surprisingly and strangely never quoted - post where I said Bannan was going to join one of the big clubs.

Also, I do continue to say he has world class crossing ability. He has shown that over two seasons. The question is how the rest of his game stands up.

Beckham world class crossing = 20 assists a season. Bannan world class crossing = 1 assist a season. Do the math Con. And in response to you saying Bannan and big clubs... you said he is worth £20m and if you were Ferguson or Wenger you would buy him. If that isn't stating he is one of the worlds best players I don't know what is.

So you think bannan will be playing at arsenal or man u next season?

if I was Wenger or Ferguson, I'd make a cheeky offer.

I wouldn't sell him for £20m.

A few Con classics:

Love this one!

Just heard of Forest's interest in Bannan. To be honest, i'd snap their hands of for 2m+.

Just isn't good enough for me. But then i'd probably say the same for our whole midfield to be honest. Think we need a new midfield full stop.

LOL. I wouldn't sell him for £20m.

Don't ask me to justify that. My opinion.

And to think Coutinho could've pushed him for a starting place...........

No stats really and I've been quite pleased with how he's played this season.

But I just feel Bannan has already been here a while and will always struggle to stamp his name on the first team sheet.

He'll move on if players like Stephens come in and find themselves ahead of him.

He's only played 50% time available in midfield for Premiership matches but he has played the most minutes of any CM midfielder.

If any one of our midfielders cannot complain about game time it is Bannan.

His only reason to move would be greater ambition than Villa. He must know how good he is, and the results the team get when he plays, so he must feel as though he has proven himself as a more regular starter than he already is.

If Stephens comes in he will be an added dimension as he is not the same kind of player as Bannan.

If we just got Stephens he'll provide competition for Ireland and Delph.

If we got Coutinho from Inter, he'll provide competition for Bannan.

Could have helped out Moyes this year then if only Fergie hadn't lost his marbles and retired and Wenger just refused to loosen the purse strings!!

And yet here he is at one of the worst teams in the league.

Beckham like crossing, created chances at a level close to Gerard, surely he's off to the big clubs in the summer then.

Yes, sadly he might be, for next to nothing compared to his true value.

I'd expect Wigan, Swansea, Arsenal or Man Utd to be interested, but he'd probably only leave us for Arsenal or Man Utd.

We'd still have Gary Gardner, if he can regain his form after injury, but if we could keep both Gardner and Bannan I believe we would have two world class players in our team.

Under present ownership we can't afford to buy two world class midfielders, so Bannan and Gardner, as potential world class players, are IMO the Villa future.

Yohan Cabaye's replacement at PSG could be waiting in the wings on Palace's bench!

The point is that passing accuracy by itself is a meaningless stat. It's a descriptive stat, as useful as saying that someone scored a goal or an assist. There's no context or analysis of it so when Bannan has an 85% passing accuracy compared to Cabaye's 64% passing accuracy, it's absolutely stupid to say, "Well, Bannan is the better passer."

Nobody has said that. You did. Don't put words into our mouths, literally by quoting an imaginary statement.

It can only be said Bannan was a more accurate passer in that game. That's a fact. To say anything else you need to look deeper.

Ultimately, who is the "better passer" depends on how you define "better".

Does better mean:

1. Is more creative when passing: provides more "key passes" and assists. Cabaye has 1 assist and 20 key passes, Bannan has 1 assist and 30 key passes.

2. Has a higher accuracy across the whole range of passing techniques (e.g. short, long, crossing). Up to game 23, Cabaye was 80%, 62%, 32%. Bannan was 80%, 65%, 46%.

3. Is better over 1 season rather than over 1 game or 20 games. In this case, we will have to wait until the end of the season to know who is the better passer.

4. Is better for the system you want to play. Leon Britton has no assists and just 5 key passes but he is a very important player for the Swansea team due to his passing accuracy alone, which is over 90%.

Right now given the choice between Cabaye and Bannan I'd have Cabaye in my team, even though he is currently passing less accurately. Cabaye has a good long shot, is 4 years older and has more experience of big matches. There is no reason Bannan cannot be better than Cabaye in future if he keeps working at his game.

A legend has left us. It was a sad day  :(

That one point could be the difference between relegation and Premier League football next year

Just one assist. It's not really good enough and could relegate us. Had he have got several assists and maybe 3-4 goals we might be in a better place, if you want to start apportioning blame. I mean, if he is meant to be is a creative midfielder, what sort of creativity is that?  

I think Bannan is our lowest wage-earning midfielder who has started a game this year. If we stay up he'll be a legend for that assist, whatever happens. Randy should give him a bonus too.

Con's comedy gold. The gift that just keeps giving!

Motoring towards 500 pages! Keep going!!!!

I'd expect Wigan, Swansea, Arsenal or Man Utd to be interested, but he'd probably only leave us for Arsenal or Man Utd.

the context of this was IF he had a successful end to the season.

That was written 17th Jan 2013 when there were articles on the web showing him the best corner taker and crosser in the league.

beckhamgreece21.gif

Horribly off topic to be posting about a GOOD player in the Bannan thread, but I can't see a list of Beckham highlights without mentioning one of the best passes I've ever seen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6QyPrwDwko

It's a shame Beckham never reached the heights of Bannan's career, but he came close.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Crystal Palace and Bannan stat:

Crystal Palace have scored the highest number of goals from set pieces in the league this season. A huge 44%.

Bannan has assisted in 0 of these, although he is the best crosser in the Premier League.

I have created the below graphical interface to help understand:

Capture.png

Be interesting to see how he does today... :D

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
CRYSTAL PALACE FANS VIEW: I don't understand why Tony Pulis won't pick Barry Bannan

Read more: http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/CRYSTAL-PALACE-FANS-VIEW-don-t-understand-Tony/story-

20805728-detail/story.html#ixzz2w2nd8mlC

Fan favourite, out of team because of Pulis anti-football tactics.

I posted today because against Sunderland he's not even on the subs bench.

Edited by Con