Barry Bannan

villianusa

Really scraping the barrel now aren't we Con.

Didn't make it at Villa.

Didn't make it at Palace.

Now you're trying to scrape together some stats about the Scotland team and outrageously comparing him to Christian Eriksen.

Total and utter nonsense as usual. Bannan will be lucky to be playing top flight football next season. A move north of the border might be his best chance.

c. He isn't very good.

He gets rave reviews from his peers. 

Eriksen has the confidence and experience of many years first team football. As we now realise the reserve league just wasn't good enough preparation for Premier League football for our most recent group of academy graduates. They should have spent much more time in the lower leagues. Ashley Westwood has 123 appearances before the top level. Delph 46. Eriksen 113.

BTW: Jack Grealish has only had 27 appearances. On the above basis he should spend at least another half-season in the lower leagues with Notts County or another club.

Who gives him rave reviews? 

Also. Beckham only played 5 game on loan at Preston. Scholes didn't go on loan anywhere, neither did Gerrard. Would they have been better players if they had played 100 games for Bury or Tranmere?

Bannan would probably do well at Celtic... I can see him there. Any old garbage up there looks like a world beater. 

Who gives him rave reviews? 

Also. Beckham only played 5 game on loan at Preston. Scholes didn't go on loan anywhere, neither did Gerrard. Would they have been better players if they had played 100 games for Bury or Tranmere?

Bannan would probably do well at Celtic... I can see him there. Any old garbage up there looks like a world beater. 

Fletcher etc.

The Premier League of the 2010s was a much much higher standard than the Premier League of the 1990s. That's why Beckham and Scholes etc. could go straight into the first team. It was much easier back then. The average Premier League standard was the equivalent of what the Championship is now. Did not have the best players from every continent competing for the same place. That's why it's so important today for young players to get experience in the lower leagues. For some reason ours were kept stagnating in the reserves.

Edited by Con

International buddies always talk well about each other. It's about what you are expecting as a unit, Scotland are a pretty crap International side just like my nation Norway. For some strange reason Scotland are doing well in the rankings, but like Norway they seldom participate in any major tournaments and who pays attention to the UEFA ranking anyway. I always heard rave reviews from Hangeland/Riise/Carew for crap Norwegian players in the media, doesn't mean much other than trying to give them some confidence before a match against Belarus.

You can compare any era you want, but you of course don't have any value when you do so. People evolve, standards improve etc. Maradona wouldn't last five minutes in the Championship these days, but what does that tell you? If Maradona the kid was born in 1992 he would of course hold the level anywhere, and the same goes for all the stars of the early PL-era. If Bannan went back in time and played in 1994 right now, he would MAYBE do well, but it sure as hell ain't certain. If he was born in 1970 he would be raised up with the systems at the time, and he would sit on the bench for Swindon or Oldham. Comparing eras is silly, and I think you already know that very well. Just look at track records and every other sports, when time passes people learn new techniques and they have much better physiques.

Why on Earth do we even have a thread about a totally insignificant former player? Sod it, I'm off to look for the Dariusz Kubicki thread.....

Edit: Couldn't find it. Didier Agathe here I come!!!

Edited by One For The Road

As we now realise the reserve league just wasn't good enough preparation for Premier League football for our most recent group of academy graduates. They should have spent much more time in the lower leagues. Ashley Westwood has 123 appearances before the top level. Delph 46. Eriksen 113.

I like how playing in League 1 for Crewe and Leeds respectively is now seen as the same level as playing for Ajax and Denmark.

"Fletcher etc" !!

You can't write one example and then put "etc" :crylaugh:

Particularly when it's an example that disproves the point you're making.

Fletcher has never been on loan anywhere and broke into the Man Utd team as a 20 year old. 

:snip:

The Premier League of the 2010s was a much much higher standard than the Premier League of the 1990s. That's why Beckham and Scholes etc. could go straight into the first team. It was much easier back then. 

I'll bite;

Nothing to do with the fact that they were two of the best players of their generation then?

:snip:

The Premier League of the 2010s was a much much higher standard than the Premier League of the 1990s. That's why Beckham and Scholes etc. could go straight into the first team. It was much easier back then. 

I'll bite;

Nothing to do with the fact that they were two of the best players of their generation then?

Beckham and Scholes?  Oh my word. Con, you couldn't have possibly used a worse example than those two. They were pure class, both of them. THAT is why they got into the first team and THAT is why they went on to win bucket loads of trophies. Not because the league was "easier". Nonsense of the highest order as usual....

No chance this mug will play again for Palace with Pulis there, he's not even making the 18 now and they've just had three straight wins so Con can't even play this points per games ratio is better with Bannan card or whatever.

He'll either have to go on loan to an Ipswich/Blackburn type club like Johnny Williams has done and rebuild in the championship or hope Celtic will want him.

You really think he'd get in their midfield when they have De Guzman, Britton, Dyer, Routledge etc? Ki will also return from his loan so he's possibly another option for next season.

Edit: He'll go the same way of Steven Davis or Whittingham. I'm not saying he'll not make a return to the prem eventually but he needs to take a step down and prove himself at a lower level like those two did.

Edited by VillaChris

You really think he'd get in their midfield when they have De Guzman, Britton, Dyer, Routledge etc? Ki will also return from his loan so he's possibly another option for next season.

Edit: He'll go the same way of Steven Davis or Whittingham. I'm not saying he'll not make a return to the prem eventually but he needs to take a step down and prove himself at a lower level like those two did.

If he does half as well as those two players then that would be an achievement.  Whittingham was probably the best player in the championship for a number of years. Ok he hasn't figured much under OGS but its no coincidence that they won yesterday when he was in the team.