Barry Bannan

villianusa

Taking twitter opinions on something really is the very last resort isn't it. I guess since we have 5 people who like Bannan it also means that racist abuse and death threats towards Collymore are also correct.

Oh Twitter, please show us the light...!

If you take Swansea's twitter opinions on Bannan they are pretty much suicidal at the thought of buying Championship standard players.

Anyway, all of this is irrelevant to the proper facts of the matter. The facts are that Bannan has been dropped from every single manager that he has ever played under. He has one of the worst midfield assist ratios in Premier League history and most of all whenever I see him play with my own eyes he is simply a woeful all round footballer. He'd probably be alright at 5-a-side, but 11-a-side he is simply dreadful compared to other Premier League players.

Interesting to see that the only common denominator in Palace's last couple of losses is BANNAN.

Edited by AstonMartin82

yeah, I think AstonMartin82 is the "real" only person with his opinion on the internet. a one man-crusade to explain to us that no, Bannan is not a good player. 

What about the hundreds of other people with the complete opposite opinion of Bannan than you on this thread?

Palace fans don't know what a decent player is... the last time they had one was probably Lombardo back in the 90's. Your average fan doesn't actually know that much about football... they look at 5 second clips on MotD and base their opinions on that. We've establised that Bannan can look quite good on MotD. However, football managers do know what is a good player and ultimately every single manager that has given Bannan a chance has dropped him. This isn't a coincidence.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating... and Bannan has gone from Villa first team to Villa bench to Villa squad to Palace first team to Palace bench. He is doing exactly as 90% of people on this thread predicted... bombing into the Championship at great haste.

• Like 4

I have joined in the Con-baiting in this thread, but I think it's a bit weak to suggest that because fans support Crystal Palace they don't know what a good footballer is - the Champions League is on TV, and there are Prem and La Liga games on Sky all the time. Imagine our response if a Man City fan suggested we as a fan base are unable to discern a talented footballer.

You write that in jest but in the summer there were rumours about Swansea going in for Bannan and it was swiftly followed by Laudrup saying he is considering his future as he doesn't have the full control. It is no coincidence that Bannan is linked again and this time Laudrup leaves.

Laudrup didn't leave, he was sacked.

Maybe he should have bought Bannan.

Swans sack boss Michael Laudrup and Garry Monk now in charge

Swansea City have sacked boss Michael Laudrup and put club captain Garry Monk in charge for Saturday's clash with arch-rivals Cardiff City.

The news came a day after chairman Huw Jenkins dismissed rumours that they had discussed Laudrup's future.

"It is a decision we have taken reluctantly," Jenkins told the club's website.

"But it's a decision made in the best interests of Swansea City football club and our supporters."

Rumours had been circulating about Laudrup's future since the Swanslost 2-0 at West Ham on Saturday.

Maybe the owners wanted to buy Bannan over the summer, Laudrup didn't.

Maybe the owners wanted to buy Bannan again over the January window, Laudrup didn't - hence why the chairman didn't think a deal was "really possible."

Laudrup didn't want to continue Swansea's post-Martinez tradition of Spanish style passing football, didn't want to build a team around Bannan.

Laudrup didn't want to continue Swansea's post-Martinez tradition of Spanish style passing football, didn't want to build a team around Bannan.

This is akin to McLeish's "dutch football" claim.

Edited by Mantis

Maybe the owners wanted to buy Bannan again over the January window, Laudrup didn't - hence why the chairman didn't think a deal was "really possible."

This is exactly my line of thought also. The owners who know nothing about football telling one of the best players in the world in his generation how to play and what to do when it is apparent the players the owner thinks are good are actually awful.

If that's true then Swansea will make another move for Bannan in the summer.

I'm not abandoning the theory that fan power kept Bannan at Crystal Palace this window. That could be true even if Laudrup doesn't want him if they had already decided to sack him before the Cardiff game. Might be looking for a "new manager effect."

I never thought you would abandon your crazy fan power notion if you haven't given up Bannan being hopeless by now. You truly are the stubbornest person I have ever known.

Swansea may go after Bannan again in the summer. If they get relegated.

Edited by AstonMartin82

Me stubborn?

I'm willing to entertain the idea Bannan may have to drop out of the Premier League to get game time all the way to actually being world class if the right set up is right for him.

Can you match that flexibility of opinion? Nope. If he succeeds at any level above League Two you will be surprised.

His crossing is about 35% accurate this season. That is still very high percentage. He can do crossing like few other players at this level can. That is now without doubt.

Question is what else does he have in his game and what system to play him in. It might be that his world class crossing is not enough to keep him at Premier League level due to weaknesses elsewhere in his game that he is unable to fix.

That's still open to question. We know teams like Swansea are still interested so I'm not the only person with this view.

Swansea have the highest average possession in the league, higher than last season and higher than the season before. Maybe Laudrup wanted to preserve the style and didn't want the team to have to carry passengers.