Barry Bannan

villianusa

Bannan needs to start. He got a key pass. That might be shown on MOTD if the effort went close.

So you didn't actually see the game, you just saw the statistics show a key pass and in turn hope that it was indeed just that. Incredible.
Con doesn't watch football, he scans the match statistics and makes his judgements from those.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was genuinely true.

Con treats football like Moneyball. And you just can't do that with Football. There are so many other varying factors.

He doesn't really. Moneyball is about finding market inefficiencies in sports, generally using stats. Con is using stats that don't even say much about players, nothing moneyball about it.
yeah but you know what I mean. Basing it purely on stats. Which you can't do in football.

I've said this before so I'm sorry to repeat myself but Con seems like a intelligent man in other threads on VT, but there is something about Barry Bannan that turns his mind into complete mush.

That's why I disagree with anyone that claims Con is a troll, I genuinely think he believes this shit.

I disagreed with selling him.  Not the only one. 

Thought he was one of the better academy products and he served us well last year.

I've said that at the end of the season I'll change my icon. Probably not my opinion though. It's difficult to make an assessment though, because he was on form just as Pulis took him out of the team.

Christian Eriksson is a good player to compare Bannan's progress or lack of too. Very similar stature. If Bannan can't keep up with Eriksson then I will agree that he's not that good.

• 2 weeks later...

Crystal Palace have scored 3 goals on 4 occasions this season. Not only has Bannan not played a single minute of these games in 3 of them he wasn't even on the bench.

It's quite conclusive that dropping Bannan from the squad altogether leads to more goals for the team. It's quite ironic as he is meant to be the best crosser in the world.

:D

Scotland's upturn in form coincided with Strachan's appointment with manager who returned Bannan to the Scotland first XI.

Not much good news for Bannan this year at club level, however, but he should get a move to a bigger team over the summer if Swansea's interest in the last window is anything to go by.

Scotland are the biggest climbers in the latest Fifa rankings, rising 15 places to 22nd.

I think he's got good ability but sometimes I don't think he imposes himself on games enough he has a continental style in terms of his style of play but perhaps more of an English mentality, maybe if he ever had the chance to play in Spain it would be a big benefit to him.

I think he's got good ability but sometimes I don't think he imposes himself on games enough he has a continental style in terms of his style of play but perhaps more of an English mentality, maybe if he ever had the chance to play in Spain it would be a big benefit to him.

The Scottish Christian Eriksen.

Problem with Bannan's career is

a. Not starting out in a lower league like Christian Eriksen

b. attitude (which has some relation to a. )

Edited by Con

I'm not sure about Christian Eriksen. But as for the bad attitude that's what I meant by an English mentality (perhaps unfairly) and why I mentioned going to play in spain even if it's in the second tier so he could learn about the lifestyle and philosphy away from the pitch.

• Like 1

449.gif

Why wouldn't playing in Spain benefit him? I don't mean one of the top teams obviously,

I think we posted at the same time.  Bruce is having a chuckle at the notion of a big club swooping into Crystal Palace's reserve team to snatch lil Baz from under the noses of the likes of Swansea.

• Like 1

c. He isn't very good.

He gets rave reviews from his peers. 

Eriksen has the confidence and experience of many years first team football. As we now realise the reserve league just wasn't good enough preparation for Premier League football for our most recent group of academy graduates. They should have spent much more time in the lower leagues. Ashley Westwood has 123 appearances before the top level. Delph 46. Eriksen 113.

BTW: Jack Grealish has only had 27 appearances. On the above basis he should spend at least another half-season in the lower leagues with Notts County or another club.

c. He isn't very good.

He gets rave reviews from his peers. 

Eriksen has the confidence and experience of many years first team football. As we now realise the reserve league just wasn't good enough preparation for Premier League football for our most recent group of academy graduates. They should have spent much more time in the lower leagues. Ashley Westwood has 123 appearances before the top level. Delph 46. Eriksen 113.

BTW: Jack Grealish has only had 27 appearances. On the above basis he should spend at least another half-season in the lower leagues with Notts County or another club.

Trust me, I didn't read any of that.

• Like 1