Barry Bannan

villianusa

Maybe the owners wanted to buy Bannan over the summer, Laudrup didn't.

Maybe the owners wanted to buy Bannan again over the January window, Laudrup didn't - hence why the chairman didn't think a deal was "really possible."

Laudrup didn't want to continue Swansea's post-Martinez tradition of Spanish style passing football, didn't want to build a team around Bannan.

Swansea have the highest average possession in the league, higher than last season and higher than the season before. Maybe Laudrup wanted to preserve the style and didn't want the team to have to carry passengers.

Fair enough... funny that you don't think of Swansea playing good passing football this season. 

Perhaps their high possession is due more often to passing the ball around at the back, and much less in the middle and attacking thirds or the pitch compared to previous seasons.

I think its more that MOTD only wank over how superior passing football is when its used by the team that wins. The difference between Swansea this season and last is all of their attacks this season seem to go through Shelvey who, based on watching him at VP, isn't quite good enough to play as an attacking playmaker at PL level.

Is Bannan? Obviously some of us would say no and, er, some of us at would say yes.

People keep telling me that Bannan "doesn't have the physicality for the Premier League," Leon Britton is the case against.

Leon Britton has had a good couple of seasons. Not featured much this year (10 games) under Laudrup who has gone for a big physical player in Shelvey. Still has 91% passing accuracy, with 61% of those forward passes.

I don't think Jonjo Shelvey is a bad player he's just like a very large Bannan with the silly errors in his game, although Bannan has been better this year in open play.

I don't understand that in-joke.

Well, both claims are utterly ridiculous, so ridiculous in fact that it's almost as if they were said purely to provoke a reaction.

I understand the reason why you felt you wanted to make the in-joke.

What is the joke? What did McLeish claim about Dutch football?

This is akin to McLeish's "dutch football" claim.

People keep telling me that Bannan "doesn't have the physicality for the Premier League," Leon Britton is the case against.

Leon Britton has had a good couple of seasons. Not featured much this year (10 games) under Laudrup who has gone for a big physical player in Shelvey. Still has 91% passing accuracy, with 61% of those forward passes.

I don't think Jonjo Shelvey is a bad player he's just like a very large Bannan with the silly errors in his game, although Bannan has been better this year in open play.

I think most of these people are in your head. Most people here debate the crazy and over-the-top stats you throw at us.

That was the point I was making above.

I don't recall anyone saying that, not for a long time at least.

I think Bannan proved a long time ago that it wasn't his physicality that was the problem (that's not a compliment)

• Like 1

His crossing is about 35% accurate this season. That is still very high percentage. He can do crossing like few other players at this level can. That is now without doubt.

So this is about his 4th successive season where he has one of the best crossing stats in the league yet he only has a handful of assists. Something doesn't quite add up Con and I think if you watched some of those "successful" crosses which contribute towards that stat it might become glaringly obvious to you.

Beckham was only able to cross a ball. Now, if Bannan's crossing was anywhere near being remotely as good as Beckham's he wouldn't be on the Palace bench would he.

Wake up and smell the coffee, or continue with your stubborness. Your call, but the longer you defend the indefensible the more foolish you look.

Edited by AstonMartin82