Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has no one read my post????????

This is forced on by the agent. downing said he wanted to stay and you have to believe him.

Its not just us this is happening too. Its happening at every club. You cant blame the board, sometimes you cant blame the players. Its the word removed agents who pull the strings.

They talk champions League and silver wear to players to get them to move for big salaries which in turn line there pockets.

You wont get a player move to a top team for equal or less salary, even if it means Trophies.

If you read the story about Rooney's situation, you would know Rooney never wanted to leave Man U, it was his agent forcing hiim to put in a transfer request, because at first Man U refused to extend his contract with the deal his agent wanted. It was agent/player blackmail which got him that deal. we all know that.

What annoys me is this is yet more negative press for Aston Villa. I can't blame any player from wanting a better job with more money but I can't stand the "ambition" quote. Have Villa got none? Are we that poor that we HAVE to sell our better players? A few weeks ago we were told that he isn't for sale, we are also informed that Downing is happy and he feels he owes us. I appreciate that he hasn't left yet but it's when, not if, I think. What is going on behind the scenes?

Todays market? 15m+ easy.

What price do you reckon he would go for? Realistically, like.

i'd take 15m for him, i don't think he's that good at all, or at least not as good as he should be

What did he cost, £12m?

I'd add at least £3m on to that for his performances this season.

Then another £3m because he's English. :lol:

At least £18m, I reckon. Maybe more if you play hardball.

Very hypocritical this site. It was great when Delph and Downing came. Ditto Bent this year. But terrible when any of them want to leave????? Its the nature of football - you might say you reap what you sow.

So because we buy players we should be quite happy to let any player leave when they decide so?

Leeds and Middlesborough were both desperate to sell the players because they needed the money.

Most people on here accept Ashley Young going because he has given us 4 good years and battled for us. He has shown passion for the team and left us with a lot of memories.

Downing has given us one decent season which is definitely not what we deserve after the faith the club showed in him to sign him with a serious injury and the patience shown as he spent 6 months trying to avoid anything like a tackle with a full back.

What annoys me is this is yet more negative press for Aston Villa. I can't blame any player from wanting a better job with more money but I can't stand the "ambition" quote. Have Villa got none? Are we that poor that we HAVE to sell our better players? A few weeks ago we were told that he isn't for sale, we are also informed that Downing is happy and he feels he owes us. I appreciate that he hasn't left yet but it's when, not if, I think. What is going on behind the scenes?

Randy Lerner at the end of season interview after said Milner and O'Neill wouldn't be going anywhere.

Look what happened there.

Same old shit - but Doug obviously saw himself in Randy.

Lets say its sort of a Rooney situation, but unlike Man U we should not fold to this!

We've folded 3 times. What makes you think the board has guts to prevent Downing going? They're gutless to do a damn thing. Blame them.

What should we do to Young or what should we have done to Barry/Milner?

Both cases Barry/Milner we were moving forward, spending money, had a successful manager in charge and they wanted out.

It's not simple, sometimes it's simply down to the players. Why is that so difficult to accept?

Very hypocritical this site. It was great when Delph and Downing came. Ditto Bent this year. But terrible when any of them want to leave????? Its the nature of football - you might say you reap what you sow.

So because we buy players we should be quite happy to let any player leave when they decide so?

Sorry, did I say we should be happy he is leaving by accident? No. Read my post please before you quote/respond. I said we should try and keep him BUT if he wants to go he will and that is the nature of football. All of our moaning on a VT site is not going to change that. We have to accept it, get the maximum profit and invest it wisely in trying to improve the team.

Probably but i don't want the money he's a very good player. More intelligent than Young with his use of the ball imo.

Absolutely, I dont think the money will be any good for us... I really dont think well be able to get the right / adequate replacement. I think Stuart is giong to get even better next season and our youngsters could learn a lot from him.

15,20, 30million....what are you actually going to get for that? Anyone costing 30million wouldnt come to the villa, anyone under that money is going to be a "prospect" and just about any good prospect is already wanted.

We have enough prospects and we need the services of downing to help them realise there potential. For now though the money isnt going to help us as much as Downings ability / contribution will.

Sorry, did I say we should be happy he is leaving by accident? No. Read my post please before you quote/respond. I said we should try and keep him BUT if he wants to go he will and that is the nature of football. All of our moaning on a VT site is not going to change that. We have to accept it, get the maximum profit and invest it wisely in trying to improve the team.

No, but you called people on this site hypocrites for moaning about him wanting to leave.

Todays market? 15m+ easy.

What price do you reckon he would go for? Realistically, like.

i'd take 15m for him, i don't think he's that good at all, or at least not as good as he should be

What did he cost, £12m?

I'd add at least £3m on to that for his performances this season.

Then another £3m because he's English. :lol:

At least £18m, I reckon. Maybe more if you play hardball.

for me, he flatters to deceive, he can literally walk past players when he's at his most confident but we rarely see that side of him, i don't rate him that highly, i would take 15m for him

click me

It's a Downing dilemma as Arsenal urge contract rebel Nasri to decide on future

By Sami Mokbel

Arsenal are pushing Samir Nasri to make a quick decision on his future after Stewart Downing revealed he is open to leaving Aston Villa.

Sportsmail revealed on Tuesday that a top Gunners scout ran the rule over Downing, as he scored the winner in Sunday's 1-0 win over Liverpool.

In demand: Downing (left) has been watched by Arsenal and Liverpool and is set to leave Villa Park this summer

Arsene Wenger has identified the England winger as a potential replacement for Nasri if he leaves this summer.

And Downing put the Gunners on red alert on Thursday after saying: 'I know Villa are keen for me to extend my contract as I only have two years left on my deal.

'However, I am 26, and at a major crossroads in my career, so I won't be committing to a new deal at the moment.

'The most important thing is to play football, but I do want to play in the Champions League at some point.'

Downing knows he can fulfil his ambitions of playing in Europe's top club competition with Arsenal and Sportsmail understands that the former Middlesbrough man is aware of the Gunners' interest.

But with Liverpool also in the hunt, the North London club know they cannot wait too long before making their move for Downing.

Nasri has been offered a five-year deal in the region of £90,000-per-week - but is stalling on signing.

Gunners sources insist the club are confident the France forward will extend his stay at the Emirates. But Wenger does not want the contract stand-off to drag on much longer so that he has enough time to sign a replacement, namely Downing.

And the Frenchman has instructed the Gunners hierarchy to get a definitive answer from Nasri as quickly as possible.

No, but you called people on this site hypocrites for moaning about him wanting to leave.

Well I didn't see too many slagging off Bent for jumping ship at Sunderland because he was coming to us for more money after only 18 months at Sunderland or Downing when he came for leaving a sinking ship in Boro'??

click me

Kenny’s £12m to Kop Stew

By ROB BEASLEY

LIVERPOOL are set to make a £12million swoop for Aston Villa's unsettled star Stewart Downing.

And Kop boss Kenny Dalglish is also closing in on Sunderland midfielder Lee Cattermole.

Downing has two years left on his Villa contract and is refusing to discuss a new one. The England winger, who shares the same agent as Anfield stars Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher, said: "I know the club are keen for me to extend my contract.

"But I'm 26 and at a major crossroads in my career. I do want to play in the Champions League at some point so I won't be committing to a new deal at the moment."

Dalglish is also ready to offer £12m for Cattermole, 23, who is believed to have an escape clause in his Sunderland contract.

The Anfield chief hopes to wrap up both deals by the end of next month - and is also close to signing France midfielder Sylvain Marveaux on a free from Rennes.

But striker David Ngog, 22, has been told he can find himself another club - although Liverpool will want £8m for him.

Dalglish is adamant the lack of European football at Anfield next term for the first time in a decade will be no barrier to attracting top stars to Merseyside.

He insisted: "Our history and tradition makes us attractive whether we are or aren't involved in European competition.

"If a player thinks otherwise, we're better off without him."

click me

.... LIVERPOOL are set to make a £12million swoop for Aston Villa's unsettled star Stewart Downing.

But striker David Ngog, 22, has been told he can find himself another club - although Liverpool will want £8m for him.

Now that really doesn't make any sense .... DJ only worth £12m whilst NGog worth £8m. Kenny must be believing the shite he is spouting.

He insisted: "Our history and tradition makes us attractive whether we are or aren't involved in European competition.

Dont talk bollocks Dalglish! Its all about your club has some money now and how much you gonna offer.

Players dont give a shit about your history and tradition. :D

Who writes this shit, even if we did sell Downing, it would certainly be more than £12 million. I'd be sure if we lost him, then we'd want to make as much of a profit as we possibly can. But Dalgliesh has got a point, Liverpool are probably the only club without European football, who could still attract some of the best players.

A club would be mad to pay £8 million for Ngog also.

Â