Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a player can hit the ball accurately with power in the warm up, that shows he's got a good right foot, just clearly he'd rather use his left foot. If he has to use his right foot though, he has a decent right peg.
:shock: I dont really care how hard or straight he hits the ball during the warm up ive seen john carew balance the ball on his head before a game doesnt mean he can do that in the match. People that say hes got a good right foot really need to start watching the games. He cant even cross with his left.

Well that's a stupid comparison for starters.

In a game, his right foot is fine, it's pretty decent, he just doesn't use it much. There is a difference.

Also just a couple examples in recent weeks of right foot.

Setting up Heskey to score against Chelsea with a good floated cross.

Shot vs Blues that just missed the near post from 20 yard. Well struck.

Just two small things in the last couple weeks, which is still more than what most Premiership players do with their weaker foots.

His right foot is decent he just doesn't use it that much, although isn't afraid. Certainly uses it more than most Premiership players. (weak foot)

Didn't see the game - followed it on twitter though. Henry Winter was very impressed with Downing:

"What a game Downing's had...passing, tackling, blocking, outstanding. #avfc 1 #mcfc 0... De jong shot deflected off Clark onto post...6 left"

Tackling??

According to Guardian chalkboards he attempted one tackle in the whole game, even though we had such little possession and he was in cm!

He did make one tackle saturday, i still can`t believe it.

I thought he was pretty good today, should have squared it to Bent. No doubt about it but his all round game and footballing ability is up there with the best players at the club. I'm not a huge fan of him on the right side anymore but in the end it worked.

i thought he worked hard today.

I think his attitude and effort are improving.

the thing is hes not really bad or anything, its just i think he could be doing so much better.

he sees a lot of the ball, pops up in some great positions, but he seems to have gone back into his shell a bit. he keeps cutting back inside and playing the ball square or backwards, when he needs to be running at the defender. he will just lazily put in a cross instead of getting to the byline and whipping it across. with better decision making he would have set up bent for 2 tap in tonight

i still think he sometimes wimps out of tackles, and theres too many times he just stands watching instead of tracking back. there was one incident in the last 10 mins when nzogbia cut inside baker, ran right past downing who just stood there and had a shot that only just missed.

Benefit of the doubt tonight as he spent the game wasted on the right hand side, again picked alot of wrong decisions and didnt look comfortable

With gabby looking exactly the same it makes no sense

I agree he's wasted on the right. He needs to be taking players on down the outside, but being left-footed has to keep coming back inside.

I can see why GH puts Gabby on the left, to protect Clark/Baker, but Downing can work up and down and is a much better player on the left.

His final ball was crap tonight.

Shame he's not a great one on one finisher either otherwise he'll be on double figures goal wise by now as he's good at making runs from beyond the full back when he plays on the right.

A very funny and inconsistant player.

I wouldn't be adverse to playing Downing in the hole tbh.

He's reasonably pacey, has a decent long range shot on him and I reckon he could pick a final ball and slot back as a third central midfielder better than Young does.

Benefit of the doubt tonight as he spent the game wasted on the right hand side, again picked alot of wrong decisions and didnt look comfortable

With gabby looking exactly the same it makes no sense

He looks so much more threatening and less predictable when he is on the left as he was when Albie came on.

Its not rocket science is it? DJ on the left & Gab/Albie on the right!

The highest pass completion rate in the team , was every where on the pitch , got an indirect assist for our goal and yet he is deemed to be shite. Think I need to visit an Optometrist soon.

Anyway here are his chalkboards.

1zntok5.jpg

Three interceptions in key areas too.

Â