Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The highest pass completion rate in the team , was every where on the pitch , got an indirect assist for our goal and yet he is deemed to be shite. Think I need to visit an Optometrist soon.

Anyway here are his chalkboards.

1zntok5.jpg

Three interceptions in key areas too.

Im seeing ALOT of sideways and backwards passing in that. I also note how not a single cross into the box was successfull. Not good for a winger.

The highest pass completion rate in the team , was every where on the pitch , got an indirect assist for our goal and yet he is deemed to be shite. Think I need to visit an Optometrist soon.

1zntok5.jpg

Im seeing ALOT of sideways and backwards passing in that. I also note how not a single cross into the box was successfull. Not good for a winger.

But of course , you cannot always play a hollywood ball/cross , ball retention is important. Crosses are only deemed successful if they are connected with, it does not indicate anything about the quality of the crosses.

I just don't get it.

He started the season off well on the left and doesn't look the same. We have a striker who's pace and ability to get infront of defenders helps him score goals but downing storming down the wing and having to cut back allows defenders to get set.

Really want to see him back on the left.

1zntok5.jpg

indeed, it doesnt help anyones cause for saying he was good last night.

i like this words in peoples mouths some people are using, like pretending people have said he is shit, odd really when people are saying he had a shit game or has been playing shit for a few games.

i cant be bothered doing a specific search for posters saying downing is shit full stop but if i could be bothered i am guessing it would be less than 5% of the board.

Clearly you do need to make that visit, look up NRC's passing last night on the chalkboards and you'll that you're talking utter bobbins.

But hey ho where's the stat for player was half asleep and totally missed the play going on in front of him and should have reacted much faster that way we might have retained possession. Downing would be king of that stat ;-)

For a winger not a single assist, he is a good player but I really think we can do better in someone who can cross better

i think he can cross the ball very well, but he is being made to be something he is not, he is not some silky holding ball winning player, he is a very good left winger who in the odd game may benefit the team playing just behind 2 forwards in the coveted 'tommy johnson' role as he has a great shot on him also.

playing him on the right has made his performances drop dramatically, same with gabby, looks aweful on the left wing. no doubt the fact he scored will justify to some his inclusion on the left.

gabby and downing are great when played in their correct positions, if they cant be used in their correct place, make them subs and use other players in their correct positions ( i understand injuries permitting).

cuellar has been used on the right back slot, it is working, so that is fine and he is decent there, however the experiment of downing on the right has failed as has putting gabby in downings proper position.

Just noticed Downing (and Friedle) are the only player to play every league game this season.

Is it time to give him a break or maybe wait a couple games til points are on the board?

FA Cup weekend would be a good oppotunity to rest him

For me, Downing has been playing like a central midfielder on the wing for a couple of months now.

I've always been a fan of his ability on the ball and how he is calm under pressure. But he has really lacked the pace and confidence on the wings lately.

It's frustrating because he has pace to take on anyone, but he rarely uses it!!

Ill judge a players performance by watching the game and seeing what they do rather than looking at some stupid picture with a load of arrows pointing in meaningless directions. Downing was poor against Wigan, which has been unlike him this season. Decent player. Still think he has a lot more ability than he shows.

I thought he was pretty good today, should have squared it to Bent. No doubt about it but his all round game and footballing ability is up there with the best players at the club. I'm not a huge fan of him on the right side anymore but in the end it worked.
Like I said on the right hes to predictable and you know hes going to cut back onto his left foot. As I was saying that he doesnt use hes right foot enough just shows when he shoot instead of a simple pass to bent. But that is just one recent example. As for Ashley young not able to use hes left foot, you have to say they are very different players. Stewart downing is a direct runner basically means he will run straight at you with pase and hes much easier to judge where hes going, thats why full backs stand a few yards off him and play him inside onto his right foot when hes on the left. Whereas ashley young is a much more skillful player that is much harder to play against and offers a lot more imo and plays himself into positions where he doesnt need to use hes left as much.

• 3 weeks later...

if he could get his final ball sorted we'd have a crackin player,,he gets himself in dangerous positions its just that final ball whether being a pass or shot,,havent rated him lately but would realy like to see him get that end product sorted,him on the left at his best and Albrighton on the right we could have a field day against defences and be sortin out GD out

Â