The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Mainstream pundits are ironically better as they seem to actually watch games. Jena's was waxing lyrical about him as we're the 2 MOTD fellas. I'm waiting to see Tim Sherwood's take, haven't seen him on air for a while. He always gives Jack his fair dues. Probably because he managed him and seen his quality first hand.

Sherwood is a huge fan. Probably helps his CV to add another name he discovered next to Harry Kane 😂

• Haha 1

Grealish was rated as the best young academy player in the country long before Sherwood came to the club, and it was only a matter of time before he broke into the first team as a regular.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It's like they just watched the highlights of the Brighton game and did a bit of reading of his Wiki.

One of them was saying he's been playing on the left all season when it was really only the last 3 games. The guy he was arguing had the right idea in that he's been playing as a #8 for the best part of a year but it was obvious he's never watched us because he just gave up deferred to the first guy's supposedly superior knowledge lol.

Mainstream pundits are ironically better as they seem to actually watch games. Jena's was waxing lyrical about him as we're the 2 MOTD fellas. I'm waiting to see Tim Sherwood's take, haven't seen him on air for a while. He always gives Jack his fair dues. Probably because he managed him and seen his quality first hand.

Even Danny Murphy who normally doesn’t have a good word to say about us was praising him. Saying how he moves with the ball, is effortless and not many can do that. Says he should be selected for England and will be there a long time

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Having Jack and John in midfield is a privilege. Hope we can continue to match their ambitions.

We have to. That will be the acid test, it's not like we're short for money. I think it helps that both players are close off the pitch. If we can keep both and add a bit more quality, I think we could be a top six side within two years. 

On 21/10/2019 at 21:34, Keyblade said:

He really is. Being tied with De Bruyne for the top chance-creator from open play, given the 2 teams they play for really speaks volumes.

I honestly can't believe he stayed with us in the Championship last season given how good he is. NSWE coming in completely reversed the trajectory our club was heading in. One for the history books I'd imagine.

The debt we owe our owners. No one should sell Aston villa short.

Everything ive heard on the radio and tv lately that mentions Gresford is usually followed up by said people trying to move him to another club. God forbid Aston Villa have a top class player for themselves that they have nurtured from day dot.

Suppose it goes with the territory of having the best player in the league :)

13 hours ago, villa4europe said:

id heard good things about the football ramble podcast but its not a good episode to start on, completely agree that they didn't give me the sense that they had watched enough of him to be qualified to judge

It used to be brilliant, now they're so far up their own collective arses they can eat their own lunch in a continuous loop. Two of them absolutely hate The Villa as well, which doesn't help when it comes to Villa specific chat. 

It doesn't surprise me that they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about when it comes to Grealish. When your takes are even more poorly researched than Danny Murphy then perhaps it's time to knock it on the head.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, useless said:

Grealish was rated as the best young academy player in the country long before Sherwood came to the club, and it was only a matter of time before he broke into the first team as a regular.

Whilst that may be true, I don't recall, it was Sherwood who integrated him at a time when we were fighting for our lives in a relegation scrap. It was ballsy and it paid off. Though I still recall people claiming he wasn't that good. 

He was. 

• Like 1

Think Targett deserves some credit for his recent form, gives him an option to pass the ball to on the left flank which in turn frees up space for himself.

pretty sure Targett said they were good friends when he signed as well

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MadridVilla said:

We all realise just how good Grealish is for Villa, but it's only when watching other teams you truly appreciate how good he is relative to others. I've been watching a lot of Atletico Madrid this season and it is noticeable just how much their midfield is crying out for a player of Grealish's skill and ability. All the qualities that Grealish brings - fantastic passing, dribbling and bringing in other players - were missing last night from the Atleti midfield, even though they have some big names in their midfield like Koke and Saúl. Right now he would not look out of place in a lot of Champions League sides and that is something we cannot take for granted.

I think there was a media piece in the week saying that Villa have to keep up with Grealish's ability and to some extent that is true, though obviously there are the other factors like Grealish being the captain, a boyhood fan, and owners who won't cash in on their best players that would stop him moving away. We should all just appreciate how fantastic it is that our club has been blessed with a gem from the academy, because there are a lot of top clubs who would love to have a player like him.

This whole post is a smart assessment but I wanted to highlight the bit in bold. It doesn't matter how much of a boyhood fan he is or whether he is captain or not, I agree with those saying that at some point he has to play for a top club and is clearly (already) deserving of such. Not yet, he's 24, but by the time he hits 27 he should quite rightly be taking the mega opportunity and the mega payday. 

Priority is to stay up this year no doubt. But if we want to build around him, and the likes of Mings, McGinn and whomever else emerges as a Champions league quality player over the coming years, we are going to have to show some serious ambition. £40m+ signings will have to become the norm if only to keep Grealish as our best player. 

In a roundabout way that makes him priceless to us right now. You can't add jewels to the crown if you've already sold the crown. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

This whole post is a smart assessment but I wanted to highlight the bit in bold. It doesn't matter how much of a boyhood fan he is or whether he is captain or not, I agree with those saying that at some point he has to play for a top club and is clearly (already) deserving of such. Not yet, he's 24, but by the time he hits 27 he should quite rightly be taking the mega opportunity and the mega payday. 

Priority is to stay up this year no doubt. But if we want to build around him, and the likes of Mings, McGinn and whomever else emerges as a Champions league quality player over the coming years, we are going to have to show some serious ambition. £40m+ signings will have to become the norm if only to keep Grealish as our best player. 

In a roundabout way that makes him priceless to us right now. You can't add jewels to the crown if you've already sold the crown. 

This is why I'm so excited for next summer. We thought this summer was exciting. If we stay up, next summer will be out of this world.

If Grealish stays he could become the best player to have ever played for the club and as a consequence the club could have one of it's most gilded spells of decorated success in it's history. But the fact of the matter is that as one of the best players in the world, soon enough the best clubs in the world are going to want him, and as much as he's a Villa fan, he's going to want to play for such clubs at some point, rather than for a team that's happy just to survive, which is why we need to keep pushing forward.

Â