The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

33 minutes ago, Thug said:

Traded immortality for 1 season in a team that very likely would have won everything even without him.  He’s like that guy that killed the gold egg laying goose because he wanted all his eggs at once.

On the flip side, his departure kicked off a chain of events that led to the arrival of Emery. If I had to choose one or the other, it’s not even close.

I think he’s quite happy with his decision. A treble, loads more medals and probably 150m in the bank guaranteed with all of the commercial deals and salary etc.

He’ll earn even more from his next deal if he wants by going to Saudi or wherever. The kid played an absolute blinder. 

• Like 1

Didn’t they give him the number 9 shirt when he signed, I imagine he thought he’d have done a hell of a lot better there than he has. 

On reflection of how he has played in the last two years I imagine he will be embarrassed, bit obviously financially he has played a blinder, legacy and career wise, it’s been ****. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Didn’t they give him the number 9 shirt when he signed, I imagine he thought he’d have done a hell of a lot better there than he has. 

On reflection of how he has played in the last two years I imagine he will be embarrassed, bit obviously financially he has played a blinder, legacy and career wise, it’s been ****. 

Career wise it's been shit? 

He won the treble last year....he should have known exactly what man city are / were in terms of their rotating and him not being a key player there, if he didn't then he's an idiot, come the end of this year I'd guess he'll have played the same amount of football as last year, it's just doku he's rotated with rather than mahrez 

The only thing that I think he couldnt have foreseen and should be disappointed with I'd he's still not a key player for England, that's his biggest failure 

That souness article was scathing….I think the problem with grealish over there is that in adapting he moved away from the player they signed….but to get into the team he needed to change so it’s a strange situation. He’s always had quite low numbers with regards to goals and assists compared to many of Man City’s other players in similar positions such as mahrez , KDB, Foden, it’s one thing he never really improved on and even in the championship for us he only really scored the odd goal. 

17 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

That souness article was scathing….I think the problem with grealish over there is that in adapting he moved away from the player they signed….but to get into the team he needed to change so it’s a strange situation. He’s always had quite low numbers with regards to goals and assists compared to many of Man City’s other players in similar positions such as mahrez , KDB, Foden, it’s one thing he never really improved on and even in the championship for us he only really scored the odd goal. 

Funny Souness made same point here and now I understand it. You can be brilliant at mid table/relegation battling club with poorer forwards but when you go elite clubs for that price a hell of a lot more is expected especially stats wise

• Like 1

I think he had actually really improved on his output under Smith. His 2 seasons back in the PL with us saw him get 14 goals and 18 assists in 62 matches. But Villa and Grealish were set up to get the best out of each other. He was the main man. At City he's a cog in a functional machine and there's no doubt it's completely stifled his natural game.

He will retire a wealthy man with lots of trophies but so much wasted individual ability.

Edited by villan95
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Would you take him back? I’m not even sure that I would. 

Not sure he'd suit our style at the moment, from what I've seen it's all playing down the line, stop, play a square ball. Rinse, repeat. Shame really, the way he used to link up with Taylor and later on Targett, makes me think him and Moreno could wreak havoc. 

11 hours ago, Villatillidie95 said:

And it’s a fair criticism. Grealish has said multiple times at City that he wanted to improve it. You can see why Doku starts ahead him now. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

And it’s a fair criticism. Grealish has said multiple times at City that he wanted to improve it. You can see why Doku starts ahead him now. 

My only problem with it is that it's souness, he made the exact same criticism when Grealish was at Villa and it was bollocks, he was taking touches and holding on to the ball due to lack of options and movement around him, now at city he's got possibly the best player the world at being available for a 5 yard pass in the attacking 3rd (silva) the excuse has gone 

It would be interesting to see proper in depth analysis and comparison between him at Villa and him at city, you're not getting that from souness, I can't take him seriously, he's a bitter angry old man who doesn't like him probably because of his hair or his shin pads

• Like 3

Just now, villa4europe said:

My only problem with it is that it's souness, he made the exact same criticism when Grealish was at Villa and it was bollocks, he was taking touches and holding on to the ball due to lack of options and movement around him, now at city he's got possibly the best player the world at being available for a 5 yard pass in the attacking 3rd (silva) the excuse has gone 

It would be interesting to see proper in depth analysis and comparison between him at Villa and him at city, you're not getting that from souness, I can't take him seriously, he's a bitter angry old man who doesn't like him probably because of his hair or his shin pads

Yeah I agree. Souness is arguing in bad faith, but I am sure the general critique about goals would stick. 

6 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Even grealish at his best, 18 goals and 14 assists in 62 matches, for any attacker in a Man City team that would be piss poor numbers for one season tbh….mahrez regularly did that and was a fraction of the price!

They were his Villa numbers not his City numbers but the stats are reversed 

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They were his Villa numbers not his City numbers but the stats are reversed 

Yeah just saying what was deemed fantastic in a villa shirt at the time would have been seen at city as something that needs to be standard, and over one season not 2 

Â