The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

No my point was that Grealish in 19/20 was not very good in the back end of the season. It was the so called lesser players that stood up to be counted after lockdown not Grealish. 

People forget this all the time because of his from pre covid and then his goal in the very last match. 

I’m not minimising his achievements because he was immense for us on the whole but he was poor in the project restart games, almost anonymous. I don’t know whether because of the legal trouble he’d got himself in or because he’d had his head turned by United but he was a shadow of the pre Covid player. It was Konsa, Dougie and Trez that dragged us to safety in those last ten games if I remember rightly. 

• Like 2

I've just gone back through the last 19 games of 19/20 and looked at who won the MOTM in the poll on here afterwards. To be fair, Grealish didn't come top - he was second, though probably would have had the highest average since he was second in many of the games he didn't win. The MOTMs from most to least were:

Luiz - 7

Grealish - 5

Reina - 2

Nakamba - 1.5*

Trez - 1

Davis - 1

Engels - 1

Samatta - 0.5*

*got an equal % in one vote

It's true that Grealish got few votes after things restarted, and he wasn't at his best, but he was MOTM for the final two games. 

• Like 3

For what it’s worth, during “project restart” VT awarded Grealish two man of the match awards. He (slightly surprisingly) just about beat Trez in the Arsenal game 28% to 26%. And he convincingly won over two thirds of the vote in the West Ham game.

His performances didn’t register a single vote in the games against either Man Utd or Chelsea. And his vote was 5% or lower in four other games.

I don’t think that proves it definitively one way or another, and I’m not particularly bothered about trying to prove something. Just thought it would be interesting to see what we thought at the time.* I say “we” but I was having a break from VT at the time.

For the record, Luiz absolutely stormed this vote during this run of games. He won it six times and it often wasn’t even remotely close.

*I’ve done this previously with the promotion run to see what we thought then and was subsequently informed by someone that they simply stopped voting for him because it was a given he was the best player. Maybe that was the case. But as he actually won it on occasion it would suggest not everyone shared that mentality of not bothering to vote for him. Because if everyone felt like that, he would never have won it at all.

Plus, you really should have known I would be a tedious enough individual to go back and check this kind of shit so if you didn’t vote correctly then you only have yourself to blame.

In terms of output, Young was better as he was performing at a high standard for a long time. 

In term of ability, Grealish is miles ahead.

"The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I've supported Villa since around 1992 and I'm not just saying it cos he left, but in terms of ability, I'd not have him in my top 5 in that time. 

McGrath, Yorke, Merson, Barry & Benteke for me. 

You sadly missed the era of David Platt, who was amazing.

Platt, McGrath, Yorke and Grealish for me. The top tier Mount Rushmore of Villa in my lifetime as a fan (87/88 onwards)

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Xela said:

In terms of output, Young was better as he was performing at a high standard for a long time. 

In term of ability, Grealish is miles ahead.

"The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long"

Can almost guarantee Jack won't be playing top level football at 35 too.

But maybe he'll surprise!

44 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I wish i had enough time to trawl through this thread and find the inevitable hypocrisy, it'll be rife

Again nobody said he was crap or a dud. He is super talented and waa a very good player for us but not an all time great

He could have been just like Milner for example but its not to be

Yeah I don’t get the need to rewrite history, although it’s very much a contemporary thing.

Grealish was superb, he was often clearly playing at a level far beyond every one of his teammates. You moved to the edge of your seat every time he got the ball. He made watching football what watching football should be - entertaining and fun. 

He captained us to victory at Wembley to get us back into the top flight, scored the goal that secured our top flight status a year later. There’ll always be a bitterness attached to him leaving, irrespective of when and where he went. To convince yourself he was anything but magical - most of the time he was here, is simply cutting off your nose to spite your face.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

No my point was that Grealish in 19/20 was not very good in the back end of the season. It was the so called lesser players that stood up to be counted after lockdown not Grealish. 

Grealish when he was not very good was still miles better than anyone else. He carried the team and was the out ball almost every time, not to mention the other teams knew this and their main focus was stopping him.

13 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I've just gone back through the last 19 games of 19/20 and looked at who won the MOTM in the poll on here afterwards. To be fair, Grealish didn't come top - he was second, though probably would have had the highest average since he was second in many of the games he didn't win. The MOTMs from most to least were:

Luiz - 7

Grealish - 5

Reina - 2

Nakamba - 1.5*

Trez - 1

Davis - 1

Engels - 1

Samatta - 0.5*

*got an equal % in one vote

It's true that Grealish got few votes after things restarted, and he wasn't at his best, but he was MOTM for the final two games. 

I don't know about the other, but at some point during Grealish's time at Villa I stopped voting for him, even if he was the best player on the pitch. I expected more from him because he was a level above anyone else. 

12 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yeah I don’t get the need to rewrite history, although it’s very much a contemporary thing.

Grealish was superb, he was often clearly playing at a level far beyond every one of his teammates. You moved to the edge of your seat every time he got the ball. He made watching football what watching football should be - entertaining and fun. 

He captained us to victory at Wembley to get us back into the top flight, scored the goal that secured our top flight status a year later. There’ll always be a bitterness attached to him leaving, irrespective of when and where he went. To convince yourself he was anything but magical - most of the time he was here, is simply cutting off your nose to spite your face.

That’s not true…

Had he done what Jude did and went abroad to one of Europe’s super clubs, I don’t think you’d find a Villa fan alive who wouldn’t have wished him a fond fairwell…

but to go to Citeh the way he did?

My club + release clause?

To exactly the same team?

Makes him no less of a snake than Delph…

Moreso considering the narrative of how he was “Mr Aston Villa”, “Mr Villa till I die”

and then he dived against us as well…

Out of all of our former captains who just broke into the England squad who up sticks and left for them?

He is easily the most despicable

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

As important as that goal was for the point, Trez's goals directly got us 6 crucial points against Palace and Arsenal. We wouldn't be in a position to only need that point at West Ham without it. Jack also scored from crucial goals and got some great assists. But to make it always about him is a disservice to the other players. We had a patchwork squad to stay up and yes it showed, but other players stepped up to keep us up and don't get anywhere near the credit they deserve. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

As important as that goal was for the point, Trez's goals directly got us 6 crucial points against Palace and Arsenal. We wouldn't be in a position to only need that point at West Ham without it. Jack also scored from crucial goals and got some great assists. But to make it always about him is a disservice to the other players. We had a patchwork squad to stay up and yes it showed, but other players stepped up to keep us up and don't get anywhere near the credit they deserve. 

It’s only made about him because it’s the Jack Grealish thread and we’re talking about Jack Grealish. At no point have I looked to diminish anyone else’s contribution during his time here.

My argument about Jack not being in my all time team i stand by, But i also think some are devaluing the player he was. 19/20 and 2/3s of 20/21 he was superb and a real talisman. Its no coincidence we went backwards when he left i expected it as our record without his was abismal. My argument is purely he didn't do that for long enough in the top division.

You can look at goals and man of the match winners but i watched those games. He had an impact whether teams doubled up on him or he just carried the ball forward winning free kicks. I know its all about opinions and i stand by mine, but im not rewriting history to back my argument.

Â