The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

8 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's weird because Young snaked us too. Dived at OT and all as we all remember. Coming back as an ancient defender seems to have rewritten his whole history.

But at least his PR team didn't get together with the clubs PR team and release a statement that grown men were naive enough to buy in to...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's weird because Young snaked us too. Dived at OT and all as we all remember. Coming back as an ancient defender seems to have rewritten his whole history.

In fairness Young never claimed to be a Villa fan while he was orchestrating moves every window

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

“Haaland is worse than Shearer because City don’t abide by FFP” is a nonsense take, for example

In fairness I don’t believe that was expressed.

As far as I can see, this was the post that began it -

1 hour ago, luckyeddie said:

In the same way as Lance Armstrong was the best cyclist in the world. They are cheats and we all know it.  Does not change how good Grealish was, but everything he has won will forever have an asterisk next to it.

The post doesn’t say Man City cheated therefore Grealish isn’t really that good. In fact it states Man City cheating has no bearing on Grealish’s ability.

What is questionable is the legitimacy of winning the medals and trophies the way he/they did - not that the players didn’t have the ability to win it at all.

All that being said, frankly I don’t give any weight to what Grealish/Young/whoever did away from Villa when I think about the club’s best players. Because they weren’t at Villa when they did it, it’s irrelevant to me. Cahill went on to win loads away from the club. Sorry Olof, gotta make room for Gary.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The post doesn’t say Man City cheated therefore Grealish isn’t really that good. In fact it states Man City cheating has no bearing on Grealish’s ability.

What is questionable is the legitimacy of winning the medals and trophies the way he/they did - not that the players didn’t have the ability to win it at all.

All that being said, frankly I don’t give any weight to what Grealish/Young/whoever did away from Villa when I think about the club’s best players. Because they weren’t at Villa when they did it, it’s irrelevant to me. Cahill went on to win loads away from the club. Sorry Olof, gotta make room for Gary.

Fair points, thanks. The thing with Grealish is he actually did achieve a fair bit here. Promotion and survival, given the circumstances we were in, were very solid, and I credit that largely to the group of Smith, Mings, Grealish, McGinn.

And a lot of the discussion here isn’t about whether he was a Villa great, but whether he is a good player, with some people seemingly arguing that anyone who betrays Villa can’t be a great player, and we should spend as much time as possible twisting their achievements and their legacy to show how much more important the club is.

Ultimately I prefer to just regard him as a phoney clearing in the woods who is also really good at football, and was fantastic for us for about 3 consecutive seasons.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Honestly has no bearing on my opinion. I still like Jack in some respects. 2 seasons in the prem vs 4, im just less emotional about him either way.

13 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

My original post was basically challenging the statement that Man City were the best club in the world. Someone would have a good argument stating best team, but best club? Not for me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Fair points, thanks. The thing with Grealish is he actually did achieve a fair bit here. Promotion and survival, given the circumstances we were in, were very solid, and I credit that largely to the group of Smith, Mings, Grealish, McGinn.

And a lot of the discussion here isn’t about whether he was a Villa great, but whether he is a good player, with some people seemingly arguing that anyone who betrays Villa can’t be a great player, and we should spend as much time as possible twisting their achievements and their legacy to show how much more important the club is.

Ultimately I prefer to just regard him as a phoney clearing in the woods who is also really good at football, and was fantastic for us for about 3 consecutive seasons.

The last few pages started by somebody saying he was the greatest Villa player ever or since they were a fan

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

In fairness Young never claimed to be a Villa fan while he was orchestrating moves every window

Indeed. Jack was 24 hours away from joining Spurs before NSWE pulled the plug in 2018. He was 24 hours away from joining United in 2020 before signing his contract and he gave us the whole "My Club" PR stuff, and got the release clause inserted (which mysteriously got leaked to the Athletic's Man City reporter).

Young wanted CL football at the time, and Lerner had lost interest, so he was never going to convince him to stay, nor show the ambition necessary. Young didn't pretend otherwise.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The last few pages started by somebody saying he was the greatest Villa player ever or since they were a fan

No, I said he's the best villa player I've seen in my 39 years supporting the club

You can say mcgrath played in that time but the reality is I didn't watch mcgrath very often, saw a little bit more of yorkeznever saw either of them in the flesh but because of the way TV coverage has increased and obviously streaming has become a thing I watched more or less every grealish villa game in one way or another, had a season ticket for both young and Benteke, both fantastic players for us, grealish was comfortably better

Some of the older fans can say cowans was better, little way better, pongo waring was better... There is a huge percentage of villa fans who have never seen those players, myself included

Edit - my memory of mcgrath is usa 94 more than it is villa

Edited by villa4europe

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

A few people are struggling to separate the question of whether Grealish is a bit of a snake from whether he’s a talented footballer.

I don’t much like him, and I think all the stuff about him screwing up his legacy and playing a boring role for a boring side is true … but he’s a really brilliant player.

I'm just astounded people can't move on now.

It hurt when he left and it was still raw for the months after (not least with DS also going) but ultimately he's justified his move by winning two titles and the CL.

I've also watched us play in last six months and at no point have I wished we'd had Grealish on the left given the level Ramsey was reaching in final two months and what a sensational footballer Moussa Diaby is going to be in the coming years.

I'm really not sure what this thread keeps getting bumped for unless he's been up to no good off the pitch (although as far as I can see it hasn't matched the antics he was up to here).

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Young never pretended to be a Villa fan to get us all on side…

He was an employee who did his job…

Grealish was supposed to be one of us…

but ended up as the second coming of Fabian Delph…

When living in Brum I was at the Villa for many home games from 1987 to 1994, so I got to see some of McGrath.

Now yes he's a great player but I was always excited by attacking players, my heroes were Walters, Daley, Platt, Yorke and of course in more modern times Grealish.

Jack Grealish is certainly up there as a great player but he does also p*** me off.

• Like 2

I've been a supporter since just after McGrath's era and started to be able to properly follow us in the mid 2000s when the internet and increased coverage made it feasible to do so.

Grealish is our best player in that time. You could make an argument for Martinez, but goalkeepers are a different category. I think the only other outfield player in the conversation is Benteke, maybe Young.

16 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

During his final season with us not a single person on this forum would have said Grealish was below Young

Young was superb for us but Grealish is levels above him. Grealish is in the same bracket as Sid & God for me in terms of talent. 

• Like 2

On 21/09/2023 at 09:44, Robbie09 said:

Young was superb for us but Grealish is levels above him. Grealish is in the same bracket as Sid & God for me in terms of talent. 

Yep. There is no doubt he is up there in terms of one of the many great players that have played for us through the years.

On 21/09/2023 at 10:44, Robbie09 said:

Nobody says its about talent but more what they did at Villa. Grealish had one and a half very good Premier League season for us. He was not that good after the Covid restart

Young did more for me

Just now, Zatman said:

Nobody says its about talent but more what they did at Villa. Grealish had one and a half very good Premier League season for us. He was not that good after the Covid restart

Young did more for me

Its like the promotion didn't happen...

Or that during his one and a half very good PL season he wasn't world class

• Like 1

Â