The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The employer analogy is right

I'm happy with my current company that my career progression will mean in about 5 years I will be the manager of my department 

But if a better company headhunted me and offered me more money to be a director tomorrow then I'll be gone 

The jump he's made is the equivalent of 2 or 3 promotions in my career

This has been said before he's not moved to city with the long shot everything goes well hope of qualifying for the CL, he's moved with a realistic chance of winning it 

Our project is not like their project 

Also, Jack's career is far shorter than yours. He has, at best, 5 years left? 

He's gone to play Champions League when he is approaching his peak. Something we might not be able to offer him in his playing career. 

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Cool. Nobody is doing that. Just acknowledging they are currently far far better than us

I will admit it. He absolutely was lured by fame, trophies and money. Plus success in general, playing for th best manager in the world alongside some of the best players in the world and being a nailed on starter for England.

What I don't get is why you and other people are surprised that any footballer wouldn't take that opportunity

You find it odd that villa fans still like the best player to pull on the shirt in the last 30 years after he played for the club for the past 20 years, climbing through the ranks and captaining us to promotion and leaving amicably giving us £100m as he went?

I don't see why that's odd

We all have different ways of looking at it.

It's not that I'm surprised, more disappointed in the way he left, especially as the club was moving in the right direction. He could have just signed the contract last summer without any of the spiel that was put out, but clearly he has bad social media advisors.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Spurs and City did it before FFP. If you recall, we were also in the running when it happened. Back then you weren't capped from spending so Lerner had us challenging. Spurs just squeaked in ahead of City (and us) in 09/10 at the perfect moment, before their oil money really kicked in and before FFP locked the door behind those 6 clubs. Their revenue now completely dwarfs ours (and Leicester's) as a result. They're not near the top 4 now because of poor spending and bad managerial decisions (same with Arsenal), but both clubs have the financial clout to challenge for the top (Spurs actually make more revenue than Chelsea, yet Chelsea are miles ahead of them). The top 4 is closed off to everyone outside of the Big 6. So there could be variation on which of the 6 get in and in which order, but it's always 4 of the 6.

We were really badly run under Lerner. We were spending a lot for 3/4 years but O'Neill spent a big chunk of it on dross. Spurs spent their money much better than we did.

Shame because if we'd have broken through then things could have been a lot different.

12 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

We were really badly run under Lerner. We were spending a lot for 3/4 years but O'Neill spent a big chunk of it on dross. Spurs spent their money much better than we did.

Shame because if we'd have broken through then things could have been a lot different.

We were only 2 games away that season. We lost to City 3-1 which sealed our fate. Spurs beat them on the final day to get 4th. Such fine margins. 

I don't think Spurs were spending their money all that well, in fact they were in the relegation zone before Redknapp took over and 18 months later got them 4th. They had some deadwood, but they also got lucky with some young players coming good like Bale and Modric coming into his own. Most of the players in the starting XI against City were there since the Martin Jol days (where to be fair they were regularly finishing in the top 6).

51 minutes ago, Xela said:

I agree with that statement. One thing we can unite on, is we were all massively gutted when he left. I get that. 

What I don't agree with, is the attempted rewriting of his life and to claim he was never a Villa fan, because that is plainly untrue. 

Maybe you’re right…

Maybe it’s untrue, unfair, cruel and harsh…

but he isn’t a Villa player anymore… And after that Ashley Preece article; it’s evident that suggesting he is a turncoat and a liar and that he doesn’t care about the Villa gets under his skin…

Never know… Could come in useful when if he plays against us…

Rile him up, upset him, wind him up to make a rash decision to get him booked or sent off…

Just a thought…

1 minute ago, DJ_Villain said:

Maybe you’re right…

but he isn’t a Villa player anymore… And after that Ashley Preece article; it’s evident that suggesting he is a turncoat and a liar and that he doesn’t care about the Villa gets under his skin…

Rile him up, upset him, wind him up to make a rash decision to get him booked or sent off…

Just a thought…

We know that just spurs him on right? He thrives under these conditions. Besides, I'm not sure how much throwing 1 player off his game would help us against Man City anyway.

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We know that just spurs him on right? He thrives under these conditions. Besides, I'm not sure how much throwing 1 player off his game would help us against Man City anyway.

He’s never had it from “his own” before though has he?

Remember the look on Gareth Barry’s face when he got it from us for the first time?

Priceless

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Maybe you’re right…

Just a thought…

A guy who was physically assaulted on the pitch and then scored the winner in a heated local derby and you think the best way to wind him up is to say bad words about him 😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

A guy who was physically assaulted on the pitch and then scored the winner in a heated local derby and you think the best way to wind him up is to say bad words about him 😂

Well, he got wound up enough about a newspaper article from one journalist saying less than complimentary things about him didn’t he?

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

It's not defeatist, it's just reality. I'm as optimistic about Villa's future as the next guy, but even Leicester, who have won the league and done everything perfectly absolutely to a tee have yet to break into the top 4 since then. We spent most of that time in the Championship. Even with our owners and current trajectory it will take us a while before we get there. If Jack were to stay, he'd be nearing the end of his career when it happens. If it happens.

I agree, if Jack was to play Champions League for Villa it would most likely be at the end of his career. He did the right thing leaving imo. Regarding Leicester they did break FFP the year they got promoted and negotiated a settlement of about 3.1m which was paid in 2018.

2 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

There is the argument as to whether Man City are a “bigger” club…

They just got rich at the right time and nailed the door shut behind them…

Their average attendances are shite for a so-called “Big Club” - They are just Wigan after striking oil…

Roma are a bigger club, Dortmund are a bigger club, United (as much as I have h hated them in the past) are a bigger club…

City are loaded and corrupt

This attendance thing gets thrown out a lot - it’s utter bollocks. They average over 54k in a 55k capacity ground.

The atmosphere might be poo, but the attendance is right up there.

Why lie?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

Their average attendances are shite for a so-called “Big Club” - They are just Wigan after striking oil…

Thats a massive exageration.  They won the league and the cup back in the late 60s. they were the big club in Manchester before United came along.  Yes they have had a huge upturn in fortunes in recent seasons but I'd say they were similar to Villa and Everton before that.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Keyblade said:

We were only 2 games away that season. We lost to City 3-1 which sealed our fate. Spurs beat them on the final day to get 4th. Such fine margins. 

I don't think Spurs were spending their money all that well, in fact they were in the relegation zone before Redknapp took over and 18 months later got them 4th. They had some deadwood, but they also got lucky with some young players coming good like Bale and Modric coming into his own. Most of the players in the starting XI against City were there since the Martin Jol days (where to be fair they were regularly finishing in the top 6).

Remember it well. 09/10 was close between us, Spurs and Man C, but similarly to the season before when we were battling with Arsenal for CL we bottled it at the end.

Spurs did get a few signings wrong - Bentley, Dos Santos, Pavlyuchenko - but signing Modric, Bale and Lennon all within a couple of years of each other meant they had a really good midfield. Then adding Van der Vaart the following season was the icing on the cake for them. Probably got a bit lucky with Bale considering they were going to sell him to the Noses for £3m apparently at one point. 

Ultimately it could have been us in their shoes, we were close for two seasons running but ran out of steam. Then when we started selling off our best players like Barry then Young, Milner, Downing and not replacing them properly it was always going to go south.

18 hours ago, bobzy said:

This attendance thing gets thrown out a lot - it’s utter bollocks. They average over 54k in a 55k capacity ground.

The atmosphere might be poo, but the attendance is right up there.

Why lie?

Problem with city, unlike Man U, Liverpool etc they don't get the tourist fans who go to just 2,3 games per season. Chelsea, Arsenal and spurs have the London benefit of 9,000,000 people a tube journey away. 

Therefore the brunt of the tickets is on the local original man City fans. So yes there will be unfancied games with empty seats. They have 40k season ticket holders so it will affect ticketed games mainly. 

I'm telling you right now, with my season ticket and £150 every other weekend for away games, I'd struggle to afford stumping up £65 x2 twice a month for the champions league. I'd go, but once the novelty wears off I'd wait for the big games, not because I'm a rubbish fan, but because I literally couldn't afford it. 

Edited by pas5898
Typo
  • Like 1

He's going to have to be the bigger man when he comes back to Villa Park. Because he's going to get it from some fans, he needs to accept that.

If we take the lead, he'll be getting it both barrels from everyone. Wouldn't be surprised if that riled him into doing something silly like the dafty he is.

If he does a Dwight or anything like that, he'll undo a lot of good will with Villa fans who don't hate his guts.

30 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Because he's going to get it from some fans, he needs to accept that.

It tends to have the opposite effect to what the fans want.

Fans think booing puts players off their game but in most cases it just makes them more hungry to prove them wrong and actually lifts their game in many cases.

Edited by villalad21

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

He's going to have to be the bigger man when he comes back to Villa Park. Because he's going to get it from some fans, he needs to accept that.

If we take the lead, he'll be getting it both barrels from everyone. Wouldn't be surprised if that riled him into doing something silly like the dafty he is.

Players with talent and self-confidence are well used to that sort of stuff; they expect it and often seem to use it to raise their game.  He's already said he's used to opposition fans singling him out,  and the noise of Villa fans booing him won't register any differently with him while he's focused on playing the match.  If Villa fans wanted to mess with his head, they'd probably do better to respond with tepid indifference whenever he's on the ball, but I imagine many won't be able to resist jeering and booing him. I think the bigger danger for him as a 'dafty' will be reacting will too much joy if he provides a couple of fine assists or nicks a goal, which would turn even the more mature and magnanimous Villa fans against him.

Â