The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

38 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I'm not ashamed or embarrassed to admit, that even at 44 years young, seeing him play for City hurts a lot as does seeing any of his social media City stuff.

I get why he left. We couldn't offer what City can. But I still think he's a Villa fan, he's just in a completely different position to any of us. Moving for me doesn't change that. But for him his career / brand is No 1 priority and has been for a good while. But that's his choice and as hard as it is to take there is no turning back.

I don't begrudge any of our supporters wishing him well still at City,  he brought us so much joy when wearing the claret & blue, but not for me. I can't bring myself to that at all. I hope he does well when playing for England at major tournaments (given he's a nailed on starter now - Cheers Gareth) but that's all the support I can muster.

He will no doubt shine for both though, on the biggest stage - Majority of Villa fans have known this for years now, which makes this whole transfer even harder to take seeing now all the plastic fans jumping on the "Grealish is world class" (now he's at City) bandwagon.

Anyway, I can put it all in perspective, it's football at the end of the day - It's not (quite) life or death - Just disappointing that he could have been one of the greatest legends at our club had he stayed on our journey. Oh well.

That is pretty much where I am at, word for word. Disappointed he left as I thought he would give us another season and re-evaluate our position then, but I can see it is not purely about money for him. Sadly He will 100% stand a better chance of winning trophies at Man City than here, which is what the elite players strive for and sets them apart from the rest. I won't wish him well for club as they are the epitome of the SL6 teams looking to dominate the game, but will wish him well for England as I would like to see England win something (however unlikely we think it is) in my lifetime.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Understanding why he left is different to bigging up City while putting down Villa which is just baffling when you're supposed to be a Villa fan.

So as villa fans we should pretend Villa are currently better than Man City even though it's blatantly not true?

3 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

He wasn't on board with what we were trying to achieve and he sold out. That's fine but we seem to talk about him more now than when he was at Villa FFS. 

This is made up though. He was on board, he just got a far better offer. The two things aren't mutually exclusive.

I'm on board with my current employer. I'm happy there and I'm moving up the ranks. The company is doing well. But if a huge company offered me an incredible role and a nice payrise I'd leave. There's nothing wrong with that

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

So as villa fans we should pretend Villa are currently better than Man City even though it's blatantly not true?

This is made up though. He was on board, he just got a far better offer. The two things aren't mutually exclusive.

I'm on board with my current employer. I'm happy there and I'm moving up the ranks. The company is doing well. But if a huge company offered me an incredible role and a nice payrise I'd leave. There's nothing wrong with that

The employer analogy is right

I'm happy with my current company that my career progression will mean in about 5 years I will be the manager of my department 

But if a better company headhunted me and offered me more money to be a director tomorrow then I'll be gone 

The jump he's made is the equivalent of 2 or 3 promotions in my career

This has been said before he's not moved to city with the long shot everything goes well hope of qualifying for the CL, he's moved with a realistic chance of winning it 

Our project is not like their project 

The employee analogy is fair enough, but not an analogy every fan will relate to and readily accept. I’d personally have thought Jack Grealish didn’t merely see Aston Villa as his employer. Not many of us would, I would think.

We’re all different. We have different values and priorities and ambitions. That’s fine, but Villa fans really should be tolerant about other Villa fans’ sincere disappointment and consequent anger about Jack’s decision. I’ll repeat ad nauseum, expecting anything else is holding Villa fans to an absurd standard we as a fanbase couldn’t possibly be expected to live up to. You can have your moral highground and claim to be on the side of reason. But please stop belittling fellow Villa fans for their feelings about this. People were genuinely upset by this. Let them be. 

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Did you always want to work for your current employer? Did you go to the office and watch the former employers there with your family when you were a kid? Did you buy replicas of their uniforms and sing songs about them when they met their yearly targets?

Did you dream of being their team leader and representative?

and then did you live that dream? Did kids then buy the new uniform with your name on the back? Did 30k+ people turn up to your shift, week after week, and sing songs about you?

or was it just a job?

• Like 2

Look at the Grealish situation back to front last year .Jack signs a 5 year deal . Thats a really marketable situation that the club took advantage of . Press conference .the whole works.

Look at what he wrote . My club my home etc etc  i expect that came from either villa or his agents marketing department.

The clause was in there but do you think it should have been announced as such.(

Jack signs 5 year deal ( with a whopping 100 mill buy out clause )

Never gonna happen. Never has happened in the past. 

We all fell into the romanticism of this villa fan taking us back to the top. The reality is that jacks confidence / arrogance got us 100 mill.

The world record fee for an academy player. Let that sink in . Most players 

He said last year that signing the contract was a no brainer. In his eyes a no brainer was with a massive release clause. 

This deal was pretty much as good as it could possibly get for us. We were lucky he was a late bloomer rather than a world class player by 20. We were lucky we had levy trying to screw us over when we were on our knees and then nwse came in and refused to sell. 

He scored the winning goal to keep us up 2 years ago and in that action made a transfer to a top 4 club impossible .

Thats my view in hindsight with mostly facts rather than my emotionally fuelled view of 6 weeks ago

To put it into perspective, in the last 20 years, the only teams outside of the traditional "big 6" to finish in the top 4 were Newcastle in back to back seasons in 2003/4, and Everton the following season, along with Leicester in 2016. That's it. 3 of those finishes were before the big 6 was crystalized by FFP and the other was a footballing miracle, the likes of which we'll never again see in our lifetime. Those are our odds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DJ_Villain said:

Did you always want to work for your current employer? Did you go to the office and watch the former employers there with your family when you were a kid? Did you buy replicas of their uniforms and sing songs about them when they met their yearly targets?

Did you dream of being their team leader and representative?

and then did you live that dream? Did kids then buy the new uniform with your name on the back? Did 30k+ people turn up to your shift, week after week, and sing songs about you?

or was it just a job?

Obviously not. But that doesn't mean it's an invalid analogy.

All it means is Grealish was a bit more emotionally invested in Villa than I am with my company. That doesn't mean he hasn't had an amazing offer from a much bigger club with an opportunity we won't be able to offer him. Probably ever

19 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's not about pretending, we know they are better. But we don't need to bleat on about it and act in awe of them. They were a tinpot outfit 20 odd years ago.

Well, yes they are. If he was on board he would still be here. He was lured by the money, fame and trophies at City. It's selling out, as much as you don't want to admit it. 

That's up to you. As it happens I've worked for large companies, mid-sized companies and small companies in my time and the largest companies are not necessarily the best ones because you're just one of a number in a large chain.

But regardless of that, I accept he's gone and moved on. I just find it odd that he still has some kind of fan club on here. 

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Obviously not. But that doesn't mean it's an invalid analogy.

All it means is Grealish was a bit more emotionally invested in Villa than I am with my company. That doesn't mean he hasn't had an amazing offer from a much bigger club with an opportunity we won't be able to offer him. Probably ever

There is the argument as to whether Man City are a “bigger” club…

They just got rich at the right time and nailed the door shut behind them…

Their average attendances are shite for a so-called “Big Club” - They are just Wigan after striking oil…

Roma are a bigger club, Dortmund are a bigger club, United (as much as I have h hated them in the past) are a bigger club…

City are loaded and corrupt

22 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Who's doing this? 

We're not getting CL any time soon, if ever. It's a closed shop and we're not invited. That's a criticism of modern football, and not Villa or Dean Smith.

I hate modern football as much as the next person but not quite as defeatist as you. I don't think the owners are either.

I still believe, if I didn't I'd have probably given up on football years ago.

2 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Their average attendances are shite for a so-called “Big Club” - They are just Wigan after striking oil…

Roma are a bigger club, Dortmund are a bigger club, United (as much as I have h hated them in the past) are a bigger club…

Just as I have been typing that, a bloke in Man City shirt just rode past me on a bicycle (I live and work in Brighton).

Ive never wanted to own a bear trap more in my life…

Edited by DJ_Villain
Poor grammar, missing a word

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

I hate modern football as much as the next person but not quite as defeatist as you. I don't think the owners are either.

I still believe, if I didn't I'd have probably given up on football years ago.

It's not defeatist, it's just reality. I'm as optimistic about Villa's future as the next guy, but even Leicester, who have won the league and done everything perfectly absolutely to a tee have yet to break into the top 4 since then. We spent most of that time in the Championship. Even with our owners and current trajectory it will take us a while before we get there. If Jack were to stay, he'd be nearing the end of his career when it happens. If it happens.

17 hours ago, Keyblade said:

To put it into perspective, in the last 20 years, the only teams outside of the traditional "big 6" to finish in the top 4 were Newcastle in back to back seasons in 2003/4, and Everton the following season, along with Leicester in 2016. That's it. 3 of those finishes were before the big 6 was crystalized by FFP and the other was a footballing miracle, the likes of which we'll never again see in our lifetime. Those are our odds.

Spurs didn't actually finish in the top 4 at all until 09/10 and then have since done it five times. They managed to break through. City did too, although of course they did it with a ridiculous amount of oil money to help them. Leicester have come close to getting in the top 4 twice, both last season and the season before. They were unlucky not to do it. FFP definitely hasn't helped but Spurs and Arsenal are both struggling massively despite spending a lot recently. They're nowhere near the top 4 and won't be again this season - and may not even finish in the top 6 IMO. Top 4 is notoriously closed off now it seems, but again last season Chelsea only just squeezed in. At the end of the day all we can do is keep improving and see where that takes us.

• Like 1

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

Spurs didn't actually finish in the top 4 at all until 09/10 and then have since done it five times. They managed to break through.

City did too, although of course they did it with a ridiculous amount of oil money to help them.

Leicester have come close to getting in the top 4 twice, both last season and the season before. They were unlucky not to do it.

FFP definitely hasn't helped but Spurs and Arsenal are both struggling massively despite spending a lot recently. They're nowhere near the top 4 and won't be again this season - and may not even finish in the top 6 IMO.

Top 4 is notoriously closed off now it seems, but again last season Chelsea only just squeezed in. At the end of the day all we can do is keep improving and see where that takes us.

Spurs and City did it before FFP. If you recall, we were also in the running when it happened. Back then you weren't capped from spending so Lerner had us challenging. Spurs just squeaked in ahead of City (and us) in 09/10 at the perfect moment, before their oil money really kicked in and before FFP locked the door behind those 6 clubs. Their revenue now completely dwarfs ours (and Leicester's) as a result. They're not near the top 4 now because of poor spending and bad managerial decisions (same with Arsenal), but both clubs have the financial clout to challenge for the top (Spurs actually make more revenue than Chelsea, yet Chelsea are miles ahead of them). The top 4 is closed off to everyone outside of the Big 6. So there could be variation on which of the 6 get in and in which order, but it's always 4 of the 6.

23 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

It's not about pretending, we know they are better. But we don't need to bleat on about it and act in awe of them. They were a tinpot outfit 20 odd years ago.

Cool. Nobody is doing that. Just acknowledging they are currently far far better than us

24 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Well, yes they are. If he was on board he would still be here. He was lured by the money, fame and trophies at City. It's selling out, as much as you don't want to admit it. 

I will admit it. He absolutely was lured by fame, trophies and money. Plus success in general, playing for th best manager in the world alongside some of the best players in the world and being a nailed on starter for England.

What I don't get is why you and other people are surprised that any footballer wouldn't take that opportunity

25 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

But regardless of that, I accept he's gone and moved on. I just find it odd that he still has some kind of fan club on here. 

You find it odd that villa fans still like the best player to pull on the shirt in the last 30 years after he played for the club for the past 20 years, climbing through the ranks and captaining us to promotion and leaving amicably giving us £100m as he went?

I don't see why that's odd

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

They are absolutely  lightyears ahead of us in terms of club "size" at the moment. Sorry if that's a hard pill to swallow, but it is.

If you accept this fact the rest will fall into place, believe me.

We are historically better. We are historically bigger. We can be bigger and more successful again. But at this point in time we are a tiny fish and they're a **** great white shark

• Like 1

We're not in the same dimension as City. Their revenue is about 5 times ours. They've won about 13 trophies since we last won 1, 25 years ago, when Jack Grealish was still a baby. It is what it is. They were tinpot 20 years ago, but now they're not. We were big 20 years ago, but now we're not. That's football.

• Like 1

Â