The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

9 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

What I'm saying is there are currently two narratives going around, that the squad knew who was taking penalties if the game went that way

Has anyone said that though? I doubt they would know before kickoff… I think it’s pretty obvious Southgate knew (based on their performances in training he says) but not the players. That’s why Southgate went round and said “you’re first, you’re second, you’re third” etc as broadcast to 31m people in the UK and many more around the world. Presumably at some point in that conversation, or if it was discussed earlier pre game or whatever, Grealish said to Southgate he was happy to take one (it’s a weird lie for him and others to tell otherwise) but wasn’t picked for it. There’s no “narrative” - there’s just what Southgate, Grealish and all the players say happened or what Roy Keane says happens, isn’t there? I think you’re overthinking this unless I am missing something…

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

Has anyone said that though? I doubt they would know before kickoff… I think it’s pretty obvious Southgate knew (based on their performances in training he says) but not the players. That’s why Southgate went round and said “you’re first, you’re second, you’re third” etc as broadcast to 31m people in the UK and many more around the world. Presumably at some point in that conversation, or if it was discussed earlier pre game or whatever, Grealish said to Southgate he was happy to take one (it’s a weird lie for him and others to tell otherwise) but wasn’t picked for it. There’s no “narrative” - there’s just what Southgate, Grealish and all the players say happened or what Roy Keane says happens, isn’t there? I think you’re overthinking this unless I am missing something…

The interviews I saw had Southgate saying they determined the penalty takers from the work they did in training and they had the plan to bring on those players late if it went to penalties, they players knew. What your talking about is the order they were going in. 

3 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Given the racist abuse our black players have been receiving, the issue of Southgate messing up the penalty takers feels a lot less important to me today. Jack wanted to take one but didnt. Keane  & others were wrong. Case solved. 

The racist abuse to Saka and others is the issue that matters most imho.

Agreed but Mings is going to sort that now he’s taking over the government of the country.

• Haha 2

Just now, QldVilla said:

The interviews I saw had Southgate saying they determined the penalty takers from the work they did in training and they had the plan to bring on those players late if it went to penalties, they players knew. What your talking about is the order they were going in. 

Well obviously the two forwards he brought on in the 120th minute were going to be amongst the takers. Absolutely agree on that!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Given the racist abuse our black players have been receiving, the issue of Southgate messing up the penalty takers feels a lot less important to me today. Jack wanted to take one but didnt. Keane  & others were wrong. Case solved. 

The racist abuse to Saka and others is the issue that matters most imho.

Agree. Social media is a cesspool and the owners of those companies could be doing a lot more to prevent this ongoing scourge, but don't.

• Like 2

Just now, QldVilla said:

Agree. Social media is a cesspool and the owners of those companies could be doing a lot more to prevent this ongoing scourge, but don't.

Yeah… I was having this debate with someone today who said “well there have always been racists, you can’t blame social media for that.” I was trying to say “…well yes, but now they have a voice and all get to egg each other on. They used to have to go to a BNP meeting or Millwall game for that.”

Hard to see how to put the genie back in the bottle but hopefully a firmer stance starts to be taken.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Well obviously the two forwards he brought on in the 120th minute were going to be amongst the takers. Absolutely agree on that!

Some unfortunately have missed the points I was trying to make, because they have taken some comments out of context.

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

Yeah… I was having this debate with someone today who said “well there have always been racists, you can’t blame social media for that.” I was trying to say “…well yes, but now they have a voice and all get to egg each other on. They used to have to go to a BNP meeting or Millwall game for that.”

Hard to see how to put the genie back in the bottle but hopefully a firmer stance starts to be taken.

Well they banned the past US President, how hard is it?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, QldVilla said:

There's two narratives currently out there sunshine, Southgate said that the players knew the penalty takers if it went to penalties prior to the game, they'd spent the last month taking 100's of penalties to decide the takers. The other narrative is Jack went up to Southgate and said he would take a penalty.

You all seem to be making assumptions, but not actually reading what is being said.

Why are these 2 mutually exclusive, competing narratives? Both can be true.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I have no problem with racists voicing their views on these platforms. That's free speech.

I have a massive problem with it being anonymous. You want to spout racist garbage? Fine - but you have to live with the consequences of what you said in a public forum. Which may cost you your friends. Or your livelihood. Or your wife.

This is where social media technology falls down. They have to do more to make it accountable/traceable, which includes the whole "somebody stole my account" excuse. But, seeing as they are driven by money.... nothing.

Edit: I fully expect Jack will stay. He doesn't like being left out altogether or standing around on the pitch waiting for someone to pass him the ball. These are both what awaits him at "bigger" clubs

Edited by ozvillafan
Back on topic
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

You want to spout racist garbage? Fine - but you have to live with the consequences of what you said in a public forum. Which may cost you your friends. Or your livelihood. Or your wife.

This! .... Perhaps not quite so harsh though. 

These people are responsible for their views in the same way a faulty wire might be responsible for a fire.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Why are these 2 mutually exclusive, competing narratives? Both can be true.

I'm not determining whether they are exclusive or intertwined, only those involved know what transpired.

The facts are the penalty takers were determined prior to the match, they had a plan. Yet players still put themselves forward to take a penalty knowing that the players had already been selected.

My argument has been that Saka in particular didn't have a great game when he came on, the moment probably got to him and probably wasn't a good choice to take a penalty, which should have been picked up by the manager/coaching staff. 

Maybe some players read the situation better than the manager did and that a change was required?

35 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I'm not determining whether they are exclusive or intertwined, only those involved know what transpired.

The facts are the penalty takers were determined prior to the match, they had a plan. Yet players still put themselves forward to take a penalty knowing that the players had already been selected.

My argument has been that Saka in particular didn't have a great game when he came on, the moment probably got to him and probably wasn't a good choice to take a penalty, which should have been picked up by the manager/coaching staff. 

Maybe some players read the situation better than the manager did and that a change was required?

Is anyone disagreeing with this? I imagine there isn't a human in England who wouldn't agree with you. 

Is anyone’s else a little worried about Jack for this coming season? He has been sensational for us for at least 4 years now but im not convinced he is over his injury and with the come down from the euros I worry he might dip a bit this season. Although saying that I still think he will be our best player purely based on the fact he is a fantastic world class footballer.

Just now, punkiller1981 said:

Is anyone’s else a little worried about Jack for this coming season? He has been sensational for us for at least 4 years now but im not convinced he is over his injury and with the come down from the euros I worry he might dip a bit this season. Although saying that I still think he will be our best player purely based on the fact he is a fantastic world class footballer.

In my head he's going to come back with something to prove, be surrounded by a better squad, who he's going to lift and inspire to make a much better team. I'm looking forwards to seeing a team that wants to unleash him and use him properly. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Rolta said:

In my head he's going to come back with something to prove, be surrounded by a better squad, who he's going to lift and inspire to make a much better team. I'm looking forwards to seeing a team that wants to unleash him and use him properly. 

This.

He’s going to be on fire.  As a big f u to GS.

And with better players around him.

Im so excited to see him and Buendia together.  I mean, how do you double mark 2 players? That would be like playing against 9 men 

• Like 3

Â