Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

10 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Just finished Stranger Things...thought it was great. Excellent performances particularly from the younger cast members.

Finished this myself yesterday and thought it was really good and very well done. Well acted (the kids, Jonathan and Hopper were all great, thought Winona Ryder chewed the scenery a bit but maybe it was just the fact her character was essentially hysterical the whole time) and it looked great too.

Storywise though, it was a bit lacking for me and the things I think a lot of people like about it kind of detracted from the originality of the whole thing.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the nostalgia that comes with watching something that is clearly heavily influenced by Stephen King (Carrie, The Body/Stand By Me, maybe even some elements of Salem's Lot), Spielberg (E.T.) and perhaps a little less obvious to most, Silent Hill, but the more I watched, the more I could see where their inspiration came from and it was a bit on the nose at times. Actually at one point I'm sure a character actually says something like how it all sounds like something from Stephen King, or something like that.

But yeah, it was good and as a big Stephen King fan it was right up my alley, just not quite original enough for me. 

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I joined Netflix for the first time on Friday.  **** knows why I've only just done so, it's amazing.  

Now TV is excellent as well. All the Sky content. 

That's what I've got, got rid of sky tv and their £90 a month bills, went and got better internet from virgin for I think £25 a month, got Netflix £7 (? It's gone up recently I think) and now TV £6 (?) 

if you really wanted the sports you could add that it's £38 a month and the movies is £10 a month 

i personally don't like Amazon primes business model, the £80 upfront bugs me, if that was £7 a month I'd probably have that too

Yeah, I've got Now TV (movies and entertainment), Netflix and Amazon Prime instant video. Costs me c£30pm on average, noting Amazon is paid up front in one go.

For that I get a selection so vast I could never run out of things to watch . 

16 minutes ago, darrenm said:

You don't have to pay upfront for prime, it's done monthly.

Ah yes, just checked my account. You can pay in one go and it works out cheaper but you do have the option of monthly payment. £79pa or £7.99pm

• Like 1

Amazon often do a deal around Black Friday. We paid £59 for the year which I think is pretty good value for the TV, music and next day delivery. We have also had several months added due to Amazon missing next day deliveries.

Edited by jim

That's the main thing that winds me up about amazon. They're worse than apple for their selfish walled garden approach. Every other streaming provider supports Chromecast apart from Amazon because they want to push their fire stick. I refuse to pay twice to watch prime TV so don't exclude me from watching just because I went Chromecast rather than fire stick. They do the sticks cheaper on black Friday which makes it a bit more reasonable but why aren't they subsidised all of the time? If they want to push their service they'd keep them low all of the time. Currently I have to watch it on the Wii u which is surprisingly good actually.

They're anti-consumer with their approach to locking their shit down, they treat their staff like slave labour. Prime TV is a shit version of music, Prime music is a really shit version of Spotify, and most of the Prime items with 'free' next day shipping are more expensive than the exact same items on there without Prime eligibility.

**** Amazon.

On 14 August 2016 at 15:28, villa4europe said:

watching the get down, its a bit weird, the premise is good, the music is really good, the baz luhrmann touches make it different thats for sure but i dont know if its in a good way

I've just sat through the pilot. What an unholy mess. 

I think I like it.

that was pretty much my exact thoughts too!

its all over the shop, theres bits of Nas in the 90s, theres the extravagance of some of it, theres the historical and political aspect of it and to be fair at times it does actually have something to say, then theres the gangster stuff, the grafitti stuff, the warriors stuff, the music...its a proper melting pot that i can imagine a lot of people wont like, it all comes together eventually

sounds like they made a right mess making it too hence why its only 6 episodes 

Stranger Things season two teaser trailer and info released.

http://tvweb.com/stranger-things-season-2-trailer/

"The Season 2 episodes include Madmax, The Boy Who Came Back To Life, The Pumpkin Patch, The Palace, The Storm, The Pollywog, The Secret Cabin, The Brain and The Lost Brother. Some are already speculating that the episode The Lost Brother is about one of the new characters. The Duffer Brothers aren't looking at these new episodes as 'another season'. Instead, they are approaching it as though it were a blockbuster sequel."

Â