Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

If true detective keeps this high standar thru the whole season It's going to be the best show I've ever seen.

It's utterly mesmerising.

Five episodes in its unfair to compare it to season 4 of The Wire or 5 of Breaking Bad, it's got a loooong way to go. Well, three more episodes.

If it nails them then yeah, why not.

I sometimes think that people go over the top with the gushing praise of these shows after all it's only TV, but I enjoy them myself, so who am I to talk.

The Wire

Sopranos

Mad Men

True Detective

But I'm feeling guilty about leaving out Twin Peaks.

The further on from Breaking Bad I get, the less I like it. Don't get me wrong, it was immensely enjoyable... but I can't escape the feeling that it abandoned some wider meaning that was apparent in the first series especially, namely the criticism of American health care. I know, it became a different show, but unlike the others up there on peoples' lists, it didn't really have anything to say at the end of it all. It was probably the most intense and outright entertaining of all those shows, but it was a little empty at heart.

The further on from Breaking Bad I get, the less I like it. Don't get me wrong, it was immensely enjoyable... but I can't escape the feeling that it abandoned some wider meaning that was apparent in the first series especially, namely the criticism of American health care. I know, it became a different show, but unlike the others up there on peoples' lists, it didn't really have anything to say at the end of it all. It was probably the most intense and outright entertaining of all those shows, but it was a little empty at heart.

A little empty?

I thought it was utterly, and intentionally, so.

I can't separate BB, GoT and The Wire. They're all totally different, but near perfect for their genre, I don't think they'll ever be topped.

I see True Detective getting rave reviews, what is it about? Based on a book? 1 season or potential for more?

I can't separate BB, GoT and The Wire. They're all totally different, but near perfect for their genre, I don't think they'll ever be topped.

I see True Detective getting rave reviews, what is it about? Based on a book? 1 season or potential for more?

It's an anthology series meaning the next season will feature completely different actors and storyline which Pizzolatto has already started writing apparently. With the season's stories being self-contained it means they can attract bigger stars than usual because they don't have to commit to loads of seasons.

It's not based on a book but Pizzolatto is a novelist and has said that he has the literacy rights to the characters.

GoT doesn't deserve to be put alongside stuff like Breaking Bad, The Wire and The Sopranos, imo.

Don't get me wrong, GoT is **** brilliant. But it's just not deep enough to be put with those programmes.

With regards to the whole Netflix thing, it's a streaming site, right?

So accessible via my laptop? Does anyone know if it's possible to watch stuff on my TV by connecting it to the laptop somehow (it's a fairly new TV). Watching on the laptop isn't a good option as it's not easy to watch with the wife, and the TV has better screen, sound etc.

Yes, you can buy a cable off Amazon or something for practically nothing.

If your laptop has a HDMI output then that's your best option.

Otherwise go for something like this

(obviously make sure you have the right connection in the TV. But I'd guess most new TVs would have most.

It's not a Smart TV by any chance is it?

Ah excellent. Thanks Ben.

No, it isn't a Smart TV :(

I'm fairly sure my lappy will have an HDMI out port (it's only 2 years old), so it's just a case of connecting lappy HDMI out to TV HDMI in?

If not, I'll get that Jack thing.

I like the sound of this True Detective thing ....

Ah excellent. Thanks Ben.

No, it isn't a Smart TV :(

I'm fairly sure my lappy will have an HDMI out port (it's only 2 years old), so it's just a case of connecting lappy HDMI out to TV HDMI in?

If not, I'll get that Jack thing.

I like the sound of this True Detective thing ....

Yep should do it.

The HDMI thing will carry sound.

If it's not HDMI and you use that VGA cable, make sure you get one with the audio jack included otherwise it won't carry the sound (and obviously check your TV has the VGA in plus audio jack.

Regardless, there will be a cable somewhere for it. You can get a VGA to HDMI cable, so you cna probably get one of those with an audio jack too.

GoT doesn't deserve to be put alongside stuff like Breaking Bad, The Wire and The Sopranos, imo.

Don't get me wrong, GoT is **** brilliant. But it's just not deep enough to be put with those programmes.

It's too deep for TV if anything

Edited by hogso

Â