Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Few episodes in to Arrested Development but I've not really felt the adictiveness that other shows have had on me. Worth sticking with?

There are a lot of jokes that take many episodes to really get to the punchline. If you are willing to stick with it the payoff is great, especially when you start rewatching it.

Making my way through Limmy's Show at the moment. It's somewhat hit and miss, but when it's hit it's some of the funniest stuff I've ever seen. All on YouTube, The Dee Dee sketches are a good starting point

• Like 1

The first episode of Under the Dome was...Ok. They've changed up some aspects of the story, which is fine and only to be expected really (still hoping they change the reason for the Dome, or if they don't, make the reason more visible), and looks like they've nailed the most important characters. Junior Rennie in particular seems pretty much perfect. Looks like they've dumped his collection of cadavers that he 'enjoys'...perhaps that was viewed as being too macabre.

From the perspective of a viewer of the TV show only, though, and trying to put what I know from reading the book to one side, the characters do seem paper thin and one dimensional after the first episode. Which may be a bit harsh, it only lasts 40 mins, and I guess there is little else they can do than shove down the viewers throat that THIS IS A BAD GUY, and THIS IS A GOOD GUY.

Will watch on with curiosity. It was a decent enough set up to warrant watching the next ep

Heard today that Channel 5 is getting Love/Hate. It's well worth checking out (and has been mentioned in this thread before). A Dublin-based crime drama with very high production values. It's the only Irish produced drama that holds a candle to the American stuff. It stars The Wire's Aiden Gillen and also Robert Sheehan who has been in plenty of stuff too.

I did laugh when Channel 5 said that despite the strong Dublin accents, they don't think it needs subtitles :D

• Like 1

Making my way through Limmy's Show at the moment. It's somewhat hit and miss, but when it's hit it's some of the funniest stuff I've ever seen. All on YouTube, The Dee Dee sketches are a good starting point

:D Brilliant!

Watching Got for the third time and for me, it tops the Wire, Sopranos and Breaking Bad as my favourite show. It's pure genius and if it was written 50 years or so ago it would be held in the same regard as LOTR

I don't normally read books but I'm currently making my way through those too and like the show, they're fantastic

started watching Game of Thrones at the weekend... its bloody awesome.

can't believe i ignored it for so long.

finished S1 in 3 days, now just starting S2.

and the dragon girl is super-hot!   :wub:

item0.rendition.slideshowWideVertical.ga

Khaleesi_Daenerys_Targaryen.jpg

Edited by ender4
  • Like 1

Watching Got for the third time and for me, it tops the Wire, Sopranos and Breaking Bad as my favourite show. It's pure genius and if it was written 50 years or so ago it would be held in the same regard as LOTR

I don't normally read books but I'm currently making my way through those too and like the show, they're fantastic

I barely ever read books, holidays usually and that's about it.

Went through all five Ice & Fire books in around 3-4 months which given the size of each 950 - 1300 pages is something I think.

They piss all over the TV show

Heard today that Channel 5 is getting Love/Hate. It's well worth checking out (and has been mentioned in this thread before). A Dublin-based crime drama with very high production values. It's the only Irish produced drama that holds a candle to the American stuff. It stars The Wire's Aiden Gillen and also Robert Sheehan who has been in plenty of stuff too.

I did laugh when Channel 5 said that despite the strong Dublin accents, they don't think it needs subtitles :D

its OK. 1st season is awful and does slightly better into season 3. not sure if Sheehan is a poor actor or miscast and Gillen was phoning in his performance. 

though Charlie Murphy is smoking hot  :wub:

This doesn't make sense as the acting alone is worse than your three examples? Some of it is atrocious, really poor.

This doesn't make sense as the acting alone is worse than your three examples? Some of it is atrocious, really poor.

I can see where he's coming from but it depends on what your criteria would be for a "favourite". Of the four I can only compare it to Breaking Bad as I've not seen the others but I don't enjoy them in the same way. BB is engrossing and the ensemble cast is excellent, there are no bad performances from any of the actors in any role of note. And then, of course, you have Bryan Cranston giving a masterclass every episode. The sheer quality of the acting is one of the things that adds to the enjoyment of watching it.

GOT, on the other hand, is a hugely entertaining, sprawling epic that has some great turns but as you rightly say has some real bums cast in some roles. I actually laughed out loud at that clown who they have got in to play Daario. His attempts at "acting" are on a par with a school nativity, I just don't know what the casting department were thinking of. The woman they've got playing Catelyn is just a hammy old bag who should be touring provincial theatres playing to audiences of dozens on a wet Saturday. I could go on to produce a fair list of stiffs but there are also some actors - quite a few, actually - who absolutely nail their parts. On balance, there are more hits than misses so the way I view the show is that the crap acting, where it occurs, doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the whole spectacle.

Just caught up on the last episode of maddogs.Pretty good, still can't figure it all out.

Knew Jamie Winstone would be back in, from the last episode there was no way that her finding them was an accident.

Wasn't it the CIA agent from Majorca who Quinn shot who re added them onto the database? Or was it Quinn's new woman?

Can't believe the final two episodes won't be out til next yr!

I was excited for Under The Dome, having never read the book or knowing much about it the excitement was mainly based upon how crap Summer TV usually is over here and my desire to watch a big budget weekly series while it's boiling hot outside. The first episode was a major disappointment. I like the concept, I like some of the cast, I like the characters what I didn't like was having so much rammed down my throat in 40 minutes. We didn't need to know so bloody much off the bat about character relationships and history. People going about their daily lives suddenly get trapped under a dome, that's plenty enough to explore and set the stage. Trying to come to terms with what it is, how big it is and the impact on them is an adventure in itself. You then have a lot more episodes to explore the town and characters, stuffing everything down our throats from the get go leaves a fair bit of indigestion.

My biggest gripe however is somewhat petty: The whole United Colors of Beneton character list. It's getting painful to watch productions trying to shoehorn every singe race, religion and sexual persuasion into shows in order to appeal to broader demographics. It might make sense if the show is set in a major metropolitan city but small rural town in America is generally about as diverse as the Republican National Convention. Squeezing in the random lesbian family, black DJ and fat Asian radio producer just cheapens the whole experience.

Â