Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

6 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I was thinking about Mayor of Kingstown, having heard good things. Which channel is it on?

I have a feeling its not currently legally available to stream in the UK

But I also suspect that given the second series is due in January that it might appear again soon

24 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I was thinking about Mayor of Kingstown, having heard good things. Which channel is it on?

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

I have a feeling its not currently legally available to stream in the UK

But I also suspect that given the second series is due in January that it might appear again soon

I think Paramount+ have it legally to stream and AppleTV have it to buy. Otherwise its the high seas.

• Thanks 1

Rather promising opening ep of 1899. Basically it's just introducing the characters (there are a lot) and setting the tone but I liked it. Hopefully it continues in the same style.

Only 8 eps and they are all out so weekend sorted.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sne said:

Rather promising opening ep of 1899. Basically it's just introducing the characters (there are a lot) and setting the tone but I liked it. Hopefully it continues in the same style.

Only 8 eps and they are all out so weekend sorted.

Was planning to watch, but went down the pub instead. Maybe tomorrow. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bizzzle said:

I liked the 1st episode of 1899 a lot. I have seen some complaints about it being too slow but I don't think it is really 

i'm 2 episodes in and am a little 'meh' so far. hoping it gets better

15 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Looking forward to starting The English tonight.

Reviews have been very good indeed.

First two episodes were very good indeed.

Nice streamlined and engaging storyline and the two leads are excellent.

Hopefully the other eps will keep up the quality.

On 18/11/2022 at 10:24, Designer1 said:

First two episodes were very good indeed.

Nice streamlined and engaging storyline and the two leads are excellent.

Hopefully the other eps will keep up the quality.

Finished The English last night. As a lifelong western fan, I thought it was excellent, a loving homage to the greats of the genre - equal parts John Ford, Sam Peckinpah and Sergio Leone (right down to the Morricone-esque soundtrack and opening credits). I was waiting for the inevitable 'door silhouette' shot from 'The Searchers', but they evidently thought that was a cliché too far. The locations (Spain, natch) and cinematography were glorious, although the colour saturation was perhaps a bit OTT (and a great many of the shots into the sun had a very noticeable lens flare). The dialogue verged on the cheesy at times, but hey, that's a western for ya. I also liked the use of British and Irish actors - OK, some of them (Ciaran Hinds, Toby Jones) were playing Americans, but there was still a high proportion of British characters - entirely authentic for that area and era, as the big cattle ranches were seen as a major business opportunity by English and Scottish entrepeneurs (Billy the Kid's ranch boss was English, for example). 

If you're not already a western fan, you probably wouldn't enjoy it as much (Mrs M was somewhat indifferent), but if you're into the genre, this is a distinguished addition to the canon. 

Now onto '1899'... 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Started watching Inventing Anna on Netflix last night. True story about a female fraudster who convinced New York's elite that she was a German heiress. Two episodes in and it is decent so far. 

Really decent limited series.

You should enjoy the rest of it for sure

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 22:46, sheepyvillian said:

I was thinking of giving "The white Lotus" a go. Anyone got an opinion?

I watched it all last week. Season 1 was excellent and Season 2 has a different tone so far but has still been very good. 

• Like 1

Â