Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

7 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Will keep an eye out. Any adaptation has to be compared to Jeff Wayne's though as that's by far my favourite. 

Not listened to it in years, but yes I agree. Will  have to dig it out and play for my lads because they would love it. Got it on vinyl . First heard it when they played it at school when it was first released, one of the few lessons I recall

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Not listened to it in years, but yes I agree. Will  have to dig it out and play for my lads because they would love it. Got it on vinyl . First heard it when they played it at school when it was first released, one of the few lessons I recall

Just listened to the Thunderchild bit on YouTube with my 5 year old and he loved it. 

I listened to the album whilst driving on the motorway years ago and had to turn it off when I realised I'd got so into it I was doing 110mph without noticing. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Apart from that "chances of anything" number (meh) and "Forever Autumn" (which I rather like), I've never heard that album. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Apart from that "chances of anything" number (meh) and "Forever Autumn" (which I rather like), I've never heard that album. 

Worth the investment Mike, you really buy into it after about 10 mins 

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Worth the investment Mike, you really buy into it after about 10 mins 

Nah, can't stand 'rock operas' or whatever you want to call them. On this topic I'm with the punk rock tendency. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Nah, can't stand 'rock operas' or whatever you want to call them. On this topic I'm with the punk rock tendency. 

I kind of get where you’re coming from, but it’s not really anything like that as such

19 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Now I am confused, is this the one you are on about Blandy? 

Only seems to be one series that seems nothing like the one quotes by @Rds1983but fits in 2019? 

Blimey Gareth Southgate acting - never knew he did that too. 

(Although he does pretend to be a football manager.)

brian-baumgartner-badumtss.gif

• Like 1

On 26/11/2022 at 06:53, Follyfoot said:

On 26/11/2022 at 07:12, Rds1983 said:

Just listened to the Thunderchild bit on YouTube with my 5 year old and he loved it. 

I listened to the album whilst driving on the motorway years ago and had to turn it off when I realised I'd got so into it I was doing 110mph without noticing. 

I became obsessed with WOTW, especially the Jeff Wayne one because my parents scared the absolute shit out of me with it as a kid (they had no idea it terrified me). As a result I became very interested in it as an adult- understand your fears etc. As a result I read the book about twice annually, and have watched/heard almost every adaptation. 

The Jeff Wayne musical is among the best to be sure, but not the newer version with Liam Neeson, as it lacks gravitas (and Phil Lynott).

My favourite is actually related to the Jeff Wayne musical. He actually made (or lent his name) to an audio drama which starred Michael Sheen as the Journalist. It's not a musical, but uses some of Jeff Wayne's music as background. It expands the whole thing greatly and is absolutely gripping imo. The most faithful remake I have come across. Very very much recommended (it's on audible). 

Clicko

• Like 1

Finished 1899. As with Dark, a good wrap-up, unlike many series of its type. I still think it's like a superior Doctor Who (my old schoolmate Anton Lesser uncannily like the Hartnell Doctor). And the setup scene for 2099 looks very Tardis-like. Hope it gets the green light from Netflix. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mottaloo said:

Is it sweary and has naughty bits to it or is it a bit glossy and clean ?

It is definitely 18+.

It’s a weird mix of sitcom farce comedy and American upper class satire and something a bit darker. Very glossy but good!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

During an interview with Deadline Hollywood, Friese explained how the European migrant crisis and Brexit were influential to the series, saying:

The whole European angle was very important for us, not only story wise but also the way we were going to produce it. It really had to be a European collaboration, not just cast but also crew. We felt that with the past years of Europe being on the decline, we wanted to give a counterpoint to Brexit, and to nationalism rising in different countries, to go back to that idea of Europe and Europeans working and creating together. Being true to the cultures and the languages was really important, we never wanted to have characters from different countries but everyone speaks English. We wanted to explore this heart of Europe, where everyone comes from somewhere else and speaks a different language, and language defines so much of your culture and your behaviour.

Wikipedia on '1899' 

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

the latest episode of 24 hours in police custody really doesn't give one much faith in the justice system

Just watched it. Infuriating.

Wonder how it would have gone if he'd gone down the No Comment route, though. Was begging him to shut up and let a lawyer deal with it.

Â