Jez

We should be very, very worried about that.

Why? The transfer window only came into affect in 2002/03. The world won't end if it's abolished surely?

but maybe it might get rid of Jim White of TV forever

We should be very, very worried about that.

Why? The transfer window only came into affect in 2002/03. The world won't end if it's abolished surely?

My view is that we would have even less protection from big clubs simply cherry-picking players throughout the season. Instead of players throwing hissy-fits when they want in the move in the summer, then it'll drag on through the whole season. 

I would be fine with the transfer window shutting before the first game though. 

I would be fine with the transfer window shutting before the first game though. 

From a marketing point of view it makes sense to have it close before the season starts. It would mean that all the transfers are condensed into the part of the year when football traditionally isn't top of the sports news. You would have football on the back pages year round. Sports like the NFL are actively trying to increase the amount of exposure they have in the offseason, moving the draft date, concocting BS stories/suspensions about air pressure in balls etc.

Just heard Palace are paying Cabaye £100K a week :blink: . Football's gone mad.

He's their star turn. They did take him from PSG, and in the context of top players I don't actually think it's outrageous tbh.

If we do the maths. Say they pay someone else £60k instead. That's a saving of £2m a year. If Cabaye gets them one single place higher in the league table* then they get that back in prize money alone.

* and he absolutely will.

how is paying cabaye 100k a week "football gone mad"? Im getting really bored of the "football gone mad" comments due to transfer fees/wages. Its going to keep rising for the next 10+ years at least. Get used to it. I dont know if its gone "mad" because youre not used to them figures in your personal life, but from a business POV, it isnt that mad.

bet you all was saying "football gone mad" when united paid for Ferdinand 10+ years back. 

Edited by gharperr

how is paying cabaye 100k a week "football gone mad"? Im getting really bored of the "football gone mad" comments due to transfer fees/wages. Its going to keep rising for the next 10+ years at least. Get used to it. I dont know if its gone "mad" because youre not used to them figures in your personal life, but from a business POV, it isnt that mad.

bet you all was saying "football gone mad" when united paid for Ferdinand 10+ years back. 

As someone who can remember when Zidane was the world's highest paid player on an 'astonishing' 100k a week it has indeed gone mad.

Cabaye is average as ****. Couldn't get in the PSG team and flattered to deceive at Newcastle (always went missing in the derbies). He occasionally turns it on, granted.

Rio Ferdinand was one of the best young defenders in the world coming off the back off an excellent World Cup.

Edited by rodders0223

cabaye average **** because he couldnt get in an oil-rich club. Just wow. 

Went missing in derbies? so is gabby a 100m striker now because he turns up in derbies? (probably variance more than anything, how many derbies did he play??) He was easily the best player in newcastle team by a mile and thats how he got his move to a oil-rich club.

edit: ok then...why has it gone mad because zidane was paid 100k a week and now cabaye is? Do you not understand inflation? greater demand in countries leading to higher tv deals? You paying your ticket to go watch them play football? All contributing towards it. Who cares.

Edited by gharperr

As someone who can remember when Zidane was the world's highest paid player on an 'astonishing' 100k a week it has indeed gone mad.

Cabaye is average as ****. Couldn't get in the PSG team and flattered to deceive at Newcastle (always went missing in the derbies). He occasionally turns it on, granted.

There's more money in the game now though. Zidane would be on 250k + p/week if he were around today.

It first came home to me when Roy Keane was reported as getting £20,000 a week. I was utterly flabbergasted and appalled, I thought it was insanely too much. AND I STILL DO. £20,000 a week is too much for ANY job, let alone playing football. As for what has happened since, well it's beyond insane.

It first came home to me when Roy Keane was reported as getting £20,000 a week. I was utterly flabbergasted and appalled, I thought it was insanely too much. AND I STILL DO. £20,000 a week is too much for ANY job, let alone playing football. As for what has happened since, well it's beyond insane.

People don't tend to have as much of a reaction to movie stars or musicians earnings. I think a part of it is because football is localised. Outside of Hollywood, or a siting in a globally big city, you're unlikely to come across one of these celebs, but you'll see a footballer in every town and city in the UK. They live amongst us, sometimes in the same neighbourhoods, and that's why I feel their earnings are scrutanised more.

I've not seen a post in Off Topic about how much Tom Cruise picked up for the latest Mission Impossible, because he's not really real is he. You're not going to see him in Waitrose in Mere Green.

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 1

I think it's because it's expressed as a weekly wage. A film star will either negotiate a (probably huge) one-off payment for a movie, or a percentage of the takings. S/he then might not then do another film for a year, or even ever. But a footballer only has to turn up and train a few days a week. Even if they don't play that weekend, tens of thousands drop into their bank account. It just doesn't seem proportionate.

• Like 1

I think it's because it's expressed as a weekly wage. A film star will either negotiate a (probably huge) one-off payment for a movie, or a percentage of the takings. S/he then might not then do another film for a year, or even ever. But a footballer only has to turn up and train a few days a week. Even if they don't play that weekend, tens of thousands drop into their bank account. It just doesn't seem proportionate.

This is definitely the case. And a lot of people say they should not get paid that much, but then where would that extra money go? Straight to the owners who would be absolutely raking in the money. 

It is all standard Economics. Supply and demand.

Fans love watching football (high demand) which hikes the prices up for TV etc

Channels see this demand and they demand as much football on their Channel (high demand) which hike the prices up.

The leagues/teams with the best footballers get the highest TV deals. Giving them more money.

In order to keep those teams and leagues at the top of the TV deals they need the best players and are willing to pay the best players the most.

SO it is infact their natural Value.

Unfortunately it works the same for Bankers etc, Bankers are paid what they are worth to the company otherwise another company will pay them instead.

But football players will say they are the product that fans pay to see when they watch the game, and as they know how much money clubs generate then footballers can (rightfully) demand a fare share of it. 

Exactly Rev.  Footballers are not overpaid.  They're paid relative to what they bring in.  They're a significant part of a hugely profitable product.  People don't have to like it but that's the reality of it.