Jez

Merse has given his grades for everyone's transfer dealings. Bit of a laugh seeing as the worst grade he gave was a 'C' and that was to one team, Everton.  Everyone else gets anywhere from A+ to B-.

Arsenal : B

Aston Villa : B+

Bournemouth : B

Chelsea : B-

Crystal Palace : A+

Everton : C

Leicester : B-

Liverpool : A

Man City : B-

Man Utd : B-

Newcastle : B?

Norwich : B-

Southampton : B-

Stoke : B

Sunderland : B-

Swansea : A-

Tottenham : B-

Watford : B-

West Brom : B

West Ham : B

I'm sure Spurs, Arsenal & Man Utd fans might have something to say about their rankings.  Merse gets an E from me.  Must try harder, but is probably performing to his abilities.

What the **** is a B?

Im not sure how he gives Everton C and Arsenal B when everyone knows Wenger has totally ballsed up this window. Merse just made this up whilst having a dump

Even if you were to give Arsenal the benefit of the doubt that they managed to fill the one gaping hole in their squad, you have to not only give Everton the same benefit (Cleverley, Lennon), but they also did it whilst staving off persistent interest in one of their biggest stars from Chelsea (Stones).  They definitely do not deserve to rank 20th coming out of the transfer window.  I think KHV has it right.

Tottenham got a B- and they sold a shit ton of players on at a loss, are still saddled with Adebayor's £5m salary, failed to, again, get their number 1 target and are woefully short in most areas of genuine quality.

Nice one Merse.

Edited by rodders0223

Bournemouth's Gradel out for 6 months with cruciate injury and Mings could be out for as long or longer.  That's all they need.

I can't be the only one who thinks of

every time I hear Gradel :)
  • Like 1

And for an alternative, better (but equally ******* head-scratching from a Villa POV) look at the gradings.  Here is ESPN's effort ordered from best to worst.

Man City : A+

Crystal Palace : A-

Leicester : A-

Stoke : A-

Liverpool : B+

Bournemouth : B+

Newcastle : B-

Everton : C+

Southampton : C+

Chelsea : C

Aston Villa : C

West Ham : C

Sunderland : C

Arsenal : C-

Man Utd : D

Tottenham : D

Norwich : D-

And for an alternative, better (but equally ******* head-scratching from a Villa POV) look at the gradings. Here is ESPN's effort ordered from best to worst.

As you said silly from a Villa point of view but not far out with the rest of it IMO.

And for an alternative, better (but equally ******* head-scratching from a Villa POV) look at the gradings.  Here is ESPN's effort ordered from best to worst.

I think a C or B is right at this point. Ayew and Gestede look to be poor purchases for the prices. 

So far it seems like:

Good: Traore, Amavi, Gana, Richards

Alright: Veretout, Bunn, Crespo, Sinclair

Bad: Ayew, Gestede

Again this is only currently. Could change in a month. 

That ESPN one is alright. I'd swap the Wests around. Maybe we're a B or B-, but not much better really. They're looking at it and seeing a gaping hole where we haven't replaced Benteke, and I can't say I blame them really. We look very blunt. 

I think a C or B is right at this point. Ayew and Gestede look to be poor purchases for the prices. 

So far it seems like:

Good: Traore, Amavi, Gana, Richards

Alright: Veretout, Bunn, Crespo, Sinclair

Bad: Ayew, Gestede

Again this is only currently. Could change in a month. 

Remember, this is a world where Robbie Brady costs £7m, Jordan Rhodes touted at around £12m, and Championship clubs looking at near 8-figure purchases.

Gestede and Ayew both cost what average PL strikers (below average for Gestede) cost, but I feel they'll both do well for us. We're just not that used to spending this amount on players in recent years.