Jez

It was £12m with £3m worth of incentives.

Southampton could be laughing to the bank or Arsenal have got a steal, I'm not sure which. He certainly has talent but isn't very experienced if you were to compare it to our Ashley Young deal or similar.

Strange by Wenger though, you can't agree a fee for Mata which was about £18m, then you sign an unproven English winger for a couple of million less. Won't help the restless Arsenal fans, when they want proven quality and not the same old potential they get every season.

BBC say the £12 million Walcott deal was 'blown out of the water' by the Oxlade-Chamberlain deal and is easily the highest transfer fee ever received for a Championship club. Sounds like the deal was closer to £20 million than £12 million.

That is just insane in my opinion. Wenger you are going to look like a fool unless this kid shows he can be a really good winger in the near future.

I just don't get it. Why go for the more expensive unproven winger which he probably won't even use instead of going for the cheaper better option?

It must be very frustrating being an Arsenal fan, knowing they could have won so much n recent years if it weren't for Wegers transfer policy.

His policy annoys me so I don't know how an actual Arsenal fan must feel.

Did you hear about Spurs' new signings? The Italian Mario Grabatelli, the Egyptian youngster Moustapha Hudi and the Japanese midfielder Gotta Kickawindo.

It must be very frustrating being an Arsenal fan, knowing they could have won so much n recent years if it weren't for Wegers transfer policy.

I think that's pretty debatable. Apart the goalkeeping situation, although I think he know has one in the one starting with S I don't want to attempt to spell.

You can debate it. But all the while he has been signing kids while winning nothing. The likes of Song, Diaby, Denilson, Walcott, Nasri, Fabregas, van Persie not to mention the defenders. None of them bought at a point where they could slot right into the side. All brought in as a work in progress that would gradually turn them into a powerhouse. Unfortunately Wenger didn't factor in the intervening dry patch and the inevitable impatience of those players while their short careers had to wait for Wenger's grand plan to come together. So now it looks as though all his gems want to up and leave. The ones that don't (Diaby, Song, Eboue) are the ones rated slightly lower. van Persie being the exception. The days of winning things off the back of finished products like Bergkamp & Overmars might be coming back as he has brought in Gervinho and is looking at Cahill. There's no doubt that his financial prudence has kept them on a great financial footing, but it has also cost them trophies and long may it continue.