Jez

Wow....just wow!

Surely there is no question where you would want to play out your semi retirement, out of Manchester or pretty much any sunny country.

Agreed about the slap in the face to the Chelsea fans too.

Lampard to sign for Man City on loan lol.

That really is a big middle finger to Chelsea fans

Sure is but I wonder is it part of his contract that they can move him to any of the clubs in their "group".

Chelsea could have just, you know, offered him another year.

Comes down to class doesn't it. We know City have none and if Lampard joins them in this convoluted way shows he has none either.

Comes down to class doesn't it. We know City have none and if Lampard joins them in this convoluted way shows he has none either.

Why have city no class? The way the club is run is actually very good and probably classy

This whole "Lampard to City" thing is very weird. It's certainly some good mind games for Jose, I'm sure it will generate a lot of column inches in the title race. But City don't need him, unless it's to meet the home grown quota. They'll wheel him out a couple times a year to score against his old club. And us, probably. I don't like the look of this "bought by NYCFC, loaned out to City" thing, either, seems very shady to me.

I think column inches is the reason this is being talked about, even football paper and website in the world will be reporting this, would be interested to know if the media in the states are reporting it, especially general media rather than soccer specific

This is a massive advert for New York City

New York City's Frank Lampard joins Premier League Champions on loan.

It's a good headline for New York City. If you want to promote an American team in the UK (and globally) what better way to do it than by using the headline above?

How many times during commentary this season will "New York City FC" be mentioned now all round the world?

Loads I tell ya. 

• Like 2

So he should just retire from Premier League football in case he upsets some fans from a club who didn't want him?

He should have just signed a deal with City if that was where he was going to play. Rather than pretend he was going to do something new and exciting before signing for your ex clubs title rivals.

I don't believe for a second he signed for NYCFC at his age without a plan of how he was going to fill the year before they have a game.

Edited by Tamuff_Villa

Why have city no class? The way the club is run is actually very good and probably classy

carlos-tevez_1445829c.jpg

Lampard might not even want to go to City but I presume he is just going to have to go along with it as the two clubs are owned by the same people. He is in a difficult situation but it is hardly lacking respect to Chelsea fans.

From the FFP view it could look very questionable if NY are still paying 100% of his wages so it doesn't damage City's wage bill.

So he should just retire from Premier League football in case he upsets some fans from a club who didn't want him?

He should have just signed a deal with City if that was where he was going to play. Rather than pretend he was going to do something new and exciting before signing for your ex clubs title rivals.

I don't believe for a second he signed for NYCFC at his age without a plan of how he was going to fill the year before they have a game.

But what if that deal was never on the table?   This way of doing it makes a lot more sense from a FFP point of view, presumably NYCFC are eating most of the cost (which is what everybody suspected might happen once Man City started the whole sister club project) and they get a ton of publicity, Manchester City get a quality player who has a ton of experience at the very highest level for a year.  I'll bet you they will be mining Lampard's experience of how things work at a club (Chelsea) who are regularly at the business end of the Champions League handle things. 

Oh, and the Tevez poster was five years ago when Man City were still, to quote one Alex Ferguson, "noisy neighbours".  They have stepped up in class in every sense of the word since those days. 

• Like 1

I think city's owners are very conscious and very good at this type of thing, like I said in the other thread the reason they bought a football club was to reap the rewards of brand association, all their other investments are booming, the reason I personally believe they bought city rather than other bigger teams was because they had the ready made rival that was huge on a global scale. It was a marketing teams wet dream, red v blue, David v Goliath, noisy neighbour, that's where that tevez thing came from, it's so simple yet it was a huge marketing tool

This is no different, the comment about New York City being mentioned 2/3 times per match next season all around the world is spot on

Even if he doesn't join, this will be talked about

• Like 1

Spurs have Chadli and Townsend already. Griezmann is good but Spurs should have other priorities, like getting a striker and a few new defenders.

Using that logic then there's no need for a striker neither with Soldado and Adebayor already there.

Apparently going to Atletico Madrid though.

Think Schneiderlin is the one Spurs are after, have depth there too but Pochettino want midfielders that can move the ball quicker

What's going to happen to your 500 other midfielders then?

Once again I'll list them as it's completely ridiculously how many Spurs actually have on their books...o.k deep breath.......Tom Carroll, Ettiene Capoue, Lewis Holtby, Sandro, Paulinho, Bentaleb, Moussa Dembele, Christain Eriksen, Aaron Lennon, Townsend, Erik Lamela, Nacer Chadli...seriously there's 12 there. Why so many when you can only play 4 or 5 at once?

Of all those the only one imo who'll show himself to be really top class this season will be Eriksen, big fan of his. Moussa Dembele is a nice player to watch but he really dosen't produce enough over a season in terms of goals and assists. Schnderlein would be a very good signing though.

Better to have one too many than be one short when needed. If Schneiderlin or someone else comes in the squad will be balanced with another one leaving. Don't think it's a problem,

cover is needed in every position, you have to remember that Spurs play in an additional tournament with a high number of games in as well.

It's the depth in quality that makes it impossible for Spurs to finish outside of top 7.