The Bundesliga Thread

Troglodyte

Relegation battle heating up again....could easily be a bottom 3 of Hertha Berlin (although they have games in hand) Schalke (already down) and Bremen who are collapsing at just the wrong time in terms of form and have become a bottom 6 team in last few seasons. Koln also big but they've tended to be a yo yo team in last decade.

Going back to 2000s and Schalke, Bremen and Hamburg (who are again bottling promotion in Bundesliga 2) were all part of top 6/7 most seasons an in europe so it's mirroring English football 5 years back when ourselves, Newcastle and Leeds were all in the championship with ridiculous attendances.

52 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Relegation battle heating up again....could easily be a bottom 3 of Hertha Berlin (although they have games in hand) Schalke (already down) and Bremen who are collapsing at just the wrong time in terms of form and have become a bottom 6 team in last few seasons. Koln also big but they've tended to be a yo yo team in last decade.

Going back to 2000s and Schalke, Bremen and Hamburg (who are again bottling promotion in Bundesliga 2) were all part of top 6/7 most seasons an in europe so it's mirroring English football 5 years back when ourselves, Newcastle and Leeds were all in the championship with ridiculous attendances.

Hertha arent allowed train until 30th, will have 6 games in 3 weeks. Could be like Rotherham 

They have invested a lot of money and even tried sign Rashica in January. The playoff team usually stays up

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Mainz 2 up vs Bayern, potentially a huge result in relegation battle

Beat hertha next game and they should have done enough 

Hertha have koln, arminia, schalke and mainz all left to play so will only have themselves to blame if they go down 

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Let's hope that Bremen pick up some form and don't go down. I can't stand another summer dealing with the Rashica thread. 

On 24/04/2021 at 13:25, Rds1983 said:

Let's hope that Bremen pick up some form and don't go down. I can't stand another summer dealing with the Rashica thread. 

They remind me of that couple of years we spent circling the drain before finally going down. They've got a few solid players but they're just joyless to watch.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JamieZ said:

They remind me of that couple of years we spent circling the drain before finally going down. They've got a few solid players but they're just joyless to watch.

They got very lucky last season, feels like this is one season too far as they're the one bang out of form in the bottom 5.

11 hours ago, JamieZ said:

Copying the neighbours Hamburg of being constantly shit and staying up

I'm actually a bit surprised for some reason to see Julian Nagelsmann going to Bayern. I'm not sure why, but I saw him going to a club in the Premier League or elsewhere in Europe. But I, for one, am getting real tired of Bayern's hegemony at the top of the Bundesliga.

I can see Jesse Marsch from Red Bull Salzburg being the prime candidate to take over at RB Leipzig.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamieZ said:

I'm actually a bit surprised for some reason to see Julian Nagelsmann going to Bayern.

Oops, welp, my bad. I didn't know Nagelsmann was Bavarian and grew up a Bayern fan. In that case, I guess it's no surprise at all he's going there.

The only way I can't see this going poorly for every club in the Bundesliga that is not Bayern Munich is if he falls afoul of the club hierarchy somewhere along the line. What's the longest run of successive titles for a club in a Top 4 league? Or any league for that matter. Anyone know?

6 minutes ago, JamieZ said:

Oops, welp, my bad. I didn't know Nagelsmann was Bavarian and grew up a Bayern fan. In that case, I guess it's no surprise at all he's going there.

The only way I can't see this going poorly for every club in the Bundesliga that is not Bayern Munich is if he falls afoul of the club hierarchy somewhere along the line. What's the longest run of successive titles for a club in a Top 4 league? Or any league for that matter. Anyone know?

I think BATE Borisov was on about 16 or maybe was Dinamo Zagreb

I think its easy for Nagelsmann to fail at Bayern though, he needs to go in with the right attitude because even Guardiola and Ancelotti at times lost the dressing room

• Like 1

Olympiacos have won 21 out of the last 25 I think 

Nagelsmann and upamecano, its a bit shit really, its all a bit boring but there doesn't seem to the hatred that like utd and Liverpool get in England, there seems to be a lot of shoulder shrugging and apathy towards them, dunno about Zatman where he is but where I am I don't think I've ever met a bayern fan from NRW or rhineland pfalz, theres some in the Turkish community but not met a German bayern fan from here yet, so glory hunting and the resentment that comes with it might be missing 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Olympiacos have won 21 out of the last 25 I think 

Nagelsmann and upamecano, its a bit shit really, its all a bit boring but there doesn't seem to the hatred that like utd and Liverpool get in England, there seems to be a lot of shoulder shrugging and apathy towards them, dunno about Zatman where he is but where I am I don't think I've ever met a bayern fan from NRW or rhineland pfalz, theres some in the Turkish community but not met a German bayern fan from here yet, so glory hunting and the resentment that comes with it might be missing 

yeah they arent so common to meet in Berlin either, I do like that most people support the local team. If anything I think Dortmund is a bigger team here among the rest. You might see the odd kid where a Lewandowski jersey but its nowhere near as common as back in UK and Ireland with the plastic fans

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Zatman said:

yeah they arent so common to meet in Berlin either, I do like that most people support the local team. If anything I think Dortmund is a bigger team here among the rest. You might see the odd kid where a Lewandowski jersey but its nowhere near as common as back in UK and Ireland with the plastic fans

I heard Schalke were pretty big in Berlin even if though they have had a bad couple of years

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Yep that was a no brainer for them. Was apparently a Spurs target as well but probably a better choice. 

wonder if a few Americans will start to move to Leipzig now

Well, I mean, Tyler Adams is already there of course, and knows Marsch well from their time together at New York Red Bull. Nagelsmann seemed to see a future for him at his preferred No.6 position but was easing him in slowly, preferring him in a sort of hybrid wingback role for the time being. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the holding midfield position his own under Marsch.

And then there's Brenden Asronson, who made a seamless transition from Philadelphia Union to Red Bull Salzburg, so I can see him being on Leipzig's radar. They've got a strong midfield, but I can certainly see Aaronson reaching that level, especially if players like Marcel Sabitzer move on as expected. The hitch, I think, is that Dominik Szoboszlai hasn't been fully incorporated into the team and is still waiting in the wings. I can see Leipzig wanting to get him up to speed before bringing in another Salzburg attacker.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Was apparently a Spurs target as well but probably a better choice.

Was offered the Celtic job, too, but this makes much more sense. I wouldn't call the Spurs job a poisoned chalice just yet, but I'd have to be pretty sure of myself to take up that position right now. With the possibility of a summer exodus, especially, I can see things going from blah to worse in North London.

1 hour ago, JamieZ said:

Jesse Marsch taking over at RB Leipzig. He knows the system and should slot right in. I'm excited to have two promising American managers coaching in the Bundesliga.

His "It's nicht ein **** freundschaftsspiel!" rant was the stuff of Schteve McClaren-esque legend.

• Haha 1

Â