The Bundesliga Thread

Troglodyte

59 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

to be fair if man city win the PL 11 times in a row then yes I would think the PL is a 1 team league, i think quietly its moving towards it but don't want to be overly vocal about it seeing as liverpool are currently top, post klopp if liverpool make a misstep and city don't get their bum slapped over FFP  its hard to see anything other than another couple of years of city dominating 

not to mention the draw bayern then have in terms of players and managers, leverkusen win the league is going to be followed by bayern taking alonso from them, if they sell musiala i wouldnt be surprised if they take wirtz from them too

They may not win the league this season... but I think they will.  In any case, they've won 5 out of the last 6 league titles.

In the time they've done that, the following teams have been in the top four:  Man Utd (4), Spurs (3), Liverpool (5), Chelsea (4), Arsenal (1), Newcastle (1)

For the Bundesliga, over the same period, the top four have been: Schalke (1), Hoffenheim (1), Dortmund (6), RB Leipzig (5), Leverkusen (2), Monchengladbach (1), Wolfsburg (1), Union Berlin (1)

The leagues are so incredibly similar but for some reason we decided that the Bundesliga is some uncompetitive shitfest, whilst the Premier League is the greatest in the World.  It's odd.

• 3 weeks later...

Father in law is round, I didnt even notice this, the pokal semi finals are saarbrucken vs kaiserlautern (which is a bit of a derby) and Leverkusen vs dusseldorf (which I'd guess is even more of a derby as it's about a 20 minute train away) 

Only 1 bundesliga team left in it, saarbrucken are a mid table team in the 3rd division 

22 hours ago, Zatman said:

Saarbrucken have knocked out 3 Bundesliga teams already including Bayern and Frankfurt

...with 90+ minute winners against Bayern and Monchengladbach :D.  So you get a cup upset (x2) with last kicks of the game.  Incredible.

I just saw that Thomas Müller won his 500th game with Bayern a few weeks back. That is nuts.

Bayern lost after being 2-0 up at half time vs little Heidenheim and Leverkusen can win the title next weekend

Harry Kane effect 😂

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Dortmund lost at home to stuttgart yesterday meaning they're now 5th with stuttgart 3rd

Next 3 games are atletico, Leverkusen, Leipzig 

That's what I like about the Bundesliga. Teams can quickly rise up the league after spending little and make CL. Stuttgart were in the relegation play off last season and now all but in the CL, would be like Everton rising from the dead to finish 4th or 5th this season which sounds laughable but Guissary has an amazing season and that's all it's really taken.

Last season it was Union Berlin making it a year or two after promotion which would be similar to Leeds doing it and they just edged out Freiburg who are basically the Brentford of the Bundesliga with their budget.

Was going to mention Leipzig aswell but an unpopular sporting model of course....

The problem with the prem is just how ringfenced the CL spots were for over a decade but at least that's balanced out now with Chelsea and Man. United being comically bad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

That's what I like about the Bundesliga. Teams can quickly rise up the league after spending little and make CL. Stuttgart were in the relegation play off last season and now all but in the CL, would be like Everton rising from the dead to finish 4th or 5th this season which sounds laughable but Guissary has an amazing season and that's all it's really taken.

Last season it was Union Berlin making it a year or two after promotion which would be similar to Leeds doing it and they just edged out Freiburg who are basically the Brentford of the Bundesliga with their budget.

Was going to mention Leipzig aswell but an unpopular sporting model of course....

The problem with the prem is just how ringfenced the CL spots were for over a decade but at least that's balanced out now with Chelsea and Man. United being comically bad.

Just don't mention bayern winning the league 12 (?) years in a row 😉

That's the only real shame this year, great to have a new winner but it's not been competitive

Köln in massive trouble too, probably going down again 

Bundesliga 2 could have 6 50k seater stadiums I think (but dusseldorf might go up and kaiserlautern down) 

Just now, villa4europe said:

Just don't mention bayern winning the league 12 (?) years in a row 😉

That's the only real shame this year, great to have a new winner but it's not been competitive

Köln in massive trouble too, probably going down again 

Bundesliga 2 could have 6 50k seater stadiums I think (but dusseldorf might go up and kaiserlautern down) 

The thing with Football is the history of the major leagues there's always one or two dominant teams. Serie A was comfortably the best league in the World for all of the 90s and I think Juventus won three or four in the mid 90s and Milan swept up the rest either side.

However the quality of player at the top 7-8 teams was insane and that was reflected in the dominance in Europe.

Liverpool won 6 league titles in the 80s but again you had teams like Watford, Southampton and Swansea getting promoted and finishing 2nd or 3rd so there was more fluidity below.

It's not so much 1st for me but who regularly finishes 2nd-4th and for much of the last twenty years that's been a closed shop in the prem and needed state ownership to break it which is pretty depressing rather than teams pulling it off by excellent transfers and coaching.

I'd say the golden standard league was Spain from 2000-05. Valencia and Deportivo La Coruna won league titles in that time and you also had likes of Alaves, Mallorca, Real Sociedad, Sevilla all finishing very high and/or reaching european finals.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, VillaChris said:

would be like Everton rising from the dead to finish 4th or 5th this season which sounds laughable but Guissary has an amazing season and that's all it's really taken.

We was 4th from bottom 16 months ago.

How does the relegation work? There's a playoff between the 2nd from bottom of the Bundesliga and 2nd in Bundesliga 2? Or something to that affect?

1 minute ago, MapleVilla said:

How does the relegation work? There's a playoff between the 2nd from bottom of the Bundesliga and 2nd in Bundesliga 2? Or something to that affect?

Bottom 2 go down and 3rd from bottom play home and away against the 3rd placed team in 2e Bundesliga for the final spot.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, pas5898 said:

We was 4th from bottom 16 months ago.

I meant end of season.

What Stuttgart have done is akin to us finishing top 4 in 20/21. We had a decent season that year but were a long way off 4th in the end.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Hamburg going to find new ways of **** it up again 😂

Was at a bar last year that regularly shows German football in Kansas City and there was a Hamburg fan there watching on decision day. In the midst of me having a pint he went from elation to utter despondency. Quite the thing to see.

(Cool story blah blah, I know, just smiling remembering how quickly that guy did a complete 180)

• Like 1

Â