Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Given that I can't stand this individual, I see David Llloyd is auctioning off quite a few of his personal mementos. Rather unusual; he can't be hard up  - surely ?? He is never mentioned on SKY cricket now; Hmmm.

I remember Ireland giant-killing England in both T20 and 50 overs in recent years but I don't think they've beaten England in a test before. Well I was reading yesterday that they're very new to test cricket. Not a good day for them today, they'll need a miracle from here to win this match !

Edited by robby b

No, they played one a couple of years ago and Ireland actually.bowled England out for 85 or something like that in the first innings. England still came back to smash them but it was quite the stir. They've only recently ( past 4,5 years ) started playing the occasional test as they're an associate nation rather than fully paid up test team. I don't see them playing more regularly though, there are costs and infrastructure issues plus the direction of the sport is favouring T20 and Ireland have actually done well, relatively, in 2020 and 50 over cricket. Beaten England twice in fact and South Africa. Pragmatically, they're better off investing in being competitive there, but as a test lover it's good to see them playing at this level.

7 hours ago, robby b said:

Is this Ireland's first ever test match against England?

Ireland play a token amount of test cricket for unknown reasons. There is no test cricket played in Ireland and the focus is all white ball cricket. There's zero chance Ireland will ever be able to play test cricket to any kind of level and to be honest they shouldn't be playing the likes of England. Its a farce.

44 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Ireland play a token amount of test cricket for unknown reasons. There is no test cricket played in Ireland and the focus is all white ball cricket. There's zero chance Ireland will ever be able to play test cricket to any kind of level and to be honest they shouldn't be playing the likes of England. Its a farce.

It doesn't help that Irish cricketers now have to play as overseas players in county cricket and not many counties will look to sign them on that basis, so they are denied enough quality cricket to develop their game compared to the likes of Joyce or Morgan (their two genuinely top class batsmen) in the past.  The one thing in their favour should be that other nations could use them as warm ups for their tour to England but as you say they don't seem able or willing to host it.

3 hours ago, Rodders said:

No, they played one a couple of years ago and Ireland actually.bowled England out for 85 or something like that in the first innings. England still came back to smash them but it was quite the stir. They've only recently ( past 4,5 years ) started playing the occasional test as they're an associate nation rather than fully paid up test team. I don't see them playing more regularly though, there are costs and infrastructure issues plus the direction of the sport is favouring T20 and Ireland have actually done well, relatively, in 2020 and 50 over cricket. Beaten England twice in fact and South Africa. Pragmatically, they're better off investing in being competitive there, but as a test lover it's good to see them playing at this level.

Then in that case they will never be able to progress if they don't play regular or semi-regular test cricket. Test cricket is going to die out outside of the ashes, nobody cares.

• Sad 1

Ben Duckett.

What the **** that all about then?

His face is absolutely bizarre and makes me irrationally angry.

Sorry Ben, but your appearance makes me physically sick and I don't know why.

(He's also very touchy allegedly)

3 hours ago, villa89 said:

Oh. 😕

I think I read the other day that this is their sixth test match in their history. So from what you say they must have all been overseas. Have a feeling a few of them may have been in NZ.

14 hours ago, chappy said:

Harry Brook will have Gilbert Jessop in his sights again tomorrow.

I have a feeling Brook won't get the chance.

49 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It's unfair on the Irish lads. They aren't allowed to play enough red ball to be even competitive. This test is not developing cricket because it is not helping the underdog at all.

Yeah last time they had enough county pros to give England a wobble but this team is barely 2nd XI standard.  It took Bangladesh ages to win but at least they've got a massive population of cricket lovers to base their game on.

Â