Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Edgbaston has an Ashes Test in 2027 but not 2031.

London of course has 2 in both series at Lords and The Oval. Why? Why is The Oval absolutely guaranteed to have a test in every series assuming Lords is undroppable. 

Weirdly Trent Bridge also has a 2027 and 2031 Test. 

For me Lords, Old Trafford and Edgbaston ought to be nailed on and then let the rest fight it out for the other 2.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, sidcow said:

London of course has 2 in both series at Lords and The Oval. Why? Why is The Oval absolutely guaranteed to have a test in every series assuming Lords is undroppable. 

For me Lords, Old Trafford and Edgbaston ought to be nailed on and then let the rest fight it out for the other 2.

Southampton has one in 2027. Presumably to sell corporate spots at the hotel. Two in London and one in Southampton is rubbish, should be at least one at Headingley or Old Trafford each time.

4 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Looking at tickets for the Edgbaston Ashes test which has obviously had very high demand seeing tickets sold out for days 1-4.

Day 5 however has loads of tickets available at just £25.  Of course tests rarely go the full 5 days anymore (especially when you factor in Bazball) but just wondering why they haven't been snapped up?  Especially when you consider the likelihood of rain  pushing things back when cricket is played in this country.

£25, full refund if less than 15 overs bowled (50% is <30) and the potential chance to see a memorable ending to an test match Ashes test match.  Seems a no brainer  *I say, waiting for someone to tell me the catch (oof pun)

That’s the way I see it. Got Day 5 tickets for Headingley, Old Trafford and The Oval - it’s either money back or you get to see an exciting end to the test match (series in the case of the latter).

14 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Can't believe the Ashes wasn't kept for terrestrial tv. Nothing in cricket beats the Ashes. 

That Aussie team from the 90s were something else. Shane Warne's first ball to Gatting. Never, imo, has a bowler excited like Shane Warne.What a loss, he was great as a pundit too.

Yes should be like Wimbledon. To me you can have all your t20 stuff but the Ashes is the best event in cricket 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Looking at tickets for the Edgbaston Ashes test which has obviously had very high demand seeing tickets sold out for days 1-4.

Day 5 however has loads of tickets available at just £25.  Of course tests rarely go the full 5 days anymore (especially when you factor in Bazball) but just wondering why they haven't been snapped up?  Especially when you consider the likelihood of rain  pushing things back when cricket is played in this country.

£25, full refund if less than 15 overs bowled (50% is <30) and the potential chance to see a memorable ending to an test match Ashes test match.  Seems a no brainer  *I say, waiting for someone to tell me the catch (oof pun)

Snapped mine up months ago - as you say, you'd be mad not too

Very excited to see Travis Head in particularly good form going into what should be a great Ashes (Iost very graciously at pool to him a few times at the Exchange in Gawler years and years ago 😂) it’s going be a very different vibe to the last series I’m sure…I must admit I haven’t watched much of England since you started shamelessly copying Travball and I’m excited to see your take 😉 should be a good time, who’d be a bowler hey? 😅 

• Like 1

This is an early start of the ashes, or am I wrong?

Thought it used to start generally in July and the last one in late August/early September at the Oval after recalling Phil Tufnell for the 5th time.

Re the final day for £25. It isn't exactly a full refund as they keep your booking fee. So that is about £2-3 x  25,000 they trouser for no play. 

Days 1-4 are crazy prices now but there are enough people willing to pay for it. Like watching Villa now I suppose.

In the olden days you just went on the day and paid for the ticket.

Edited by The Fun Factory

7 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

This is an early start of the ashes, or am I wrong?

Thought it used to start generally in July and the last one in late August/early September at the Oval after recalling Phil Tufnell for the 5th time.

Moved it forward so the players can play in the hundred, which seems completely backwards to me, but more money in it

• Like 1

Think those 5th day tickets are a waste of money. 

There are 2 days of sunshine. England will knock off a thousand or so runs in the morning session then skittle Australia out twice in the remaining day and a half. Jobs a good un. 

• Haha 1

On 14/06/2023 at 21:36, sidcow said:

Going back to this there is so much coverage about the Edgbaston atmosphere and Fortress Edgbaston.  Just can't understand why you wouldn't include it. 

21 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Pathetic. The Hundred is dying on its arse, well at least the men's version.  It won't last 10 years.

I think its only contracted / confirmed up until 2028 anyway

The 100 seems to be more popular with children and families , interestingly crowds at the games were up last year , but TV figures dropped  ,

must admit I didn't watch any of it in 2021 , but found myself watching quite a few games on TV  in 2022 .. I quite enjoyed them

• Like 1

i saw a couple of double headers, but yes family friendly and big crowds, but I fail to see how they couldn't have just remarketed the T20 better. It baffles me how little of T20 is actually shown on the TV.

Â