Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

17 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Absolutely. Stokes would have made his way back into the side eventually, but he can wait, instead you make way for Mr. Star, and block Curran's development. I admit that Ed Smith has made calls in selection that so far have largely been a pleasant surprise, but this is definitely a wrong' un. 

I thought, like @sharkyvilla above, that the final team was down to Root and Bayliss?

It's a lose/lose call for me. If he plays badly, it won't look like a good selection (and they'll have to select him for the fourth test which would look even worse); if he plays well then last week's news will most definitely just be chip paper.

I wonder if Bayliss will convince him to make some sort of public apology as he said he thought he ought to the other day?

Always helps when you get dropped twice!

We really were awful last night. Big overhaul of the one-day bowlers needed. Crazy that we've allowed Poysden to leave as well.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, snowychap said:

A terrific bowling display by India.

They bowled very well, but there was too much playing at balls that could have been left alone. Ultimately they lost all 10 wickets for 107 runs.

Gotta dig in when conditions favour the bowlers. Good knock by Butler at the end at least to get a few more on the board.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, veloman said:

Remind me who the England batting coach is again ? What was his record like at Test Match level ??

You've made this point before. I'm not sure it (Ramps's record at test level) in itself is particularly relevant.

I'm not sure he's a very good batting coach either, mind. :)

I take your point over the relevancy or otherwise of his record at Test Level; the great Ron Saunders never played at the top level in football and we all know how good HE was. But whilst scoring well at County level , Ramprakash seemed to fail (or not do very well) when it came to Test level and I would have thought that was important . Showing my usual bias, Ian Bell would have been better qualified ! In the paper this morning, even Michael Vaughn is questioning the fragility of the batting and he certainly knows a bit more than me.?

I think sometimes we just have to accept a collapse. 

It seems to me like we're incredible when we win, but absolute turd with a huge problem when we lose. 

We've smashed India in 2 tests, and we're losing this one.  It's not ideal obviously, but you can't win them all. 

It appears the media just swing wildly between greatness and rubbishness. 

56 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I think sometimes we just have to accept a collapse. 

It seems to me like we're incredible when we win, but absolute turd with a huge problem when we lose. 

We've smashed India in 2 tests, and we're losing this one.  It's not ideal obviously, but you can't win them all. 

Sometimes?

We've been reduced to 100-4 or worse in 30 of our last 60 tests.

Lost 10 wickets in a single session 3 times in the last year.

We are completely lacking in players who are capable of digging in and grinding out an innings when the need arises. Our batsmen can be great on their day, but seem to be mentally weak when the going gets tough. I'm not sure you can lay the blame at the feet of Ramprakash, but there's no denying that as a test batsman himself he was... mentally weak.

When we win, more often than not it's down to our bowlers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

It's not ideal obviously, but you can't win them all. 

Exactly, England fans of any sport seem to be terrible at accepting that sometimes you just lose a game of sport, the way we over analyse everything with news articles and after match chat and analysis means that there is always something or someone to blame, that's not always the case, you simply don't win everything and we would do well to remember that sometimes.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

Sometimes?

We've been reduced to 100-4 or worse in 30 of our last 60 tests.

Lost 10 wickets in a single session 3 times in the last year.

We are completely lacking in players who are capable of digging in and grinding out an innings when the need arises. Our batsmen can be great on their day, but seem to be mentally weak when the going gets tough. I'm not sure you can lay the blame at the feet of Ramprakash, but there's no denying that as a test batsman himself he was... mentally weak.

When we win, more often than not it's down to our bowlers.

Yea, sometimes.

Listen, the game has moved on from Aggers and Boycott.  If you're on about trying to "get in" and grinding out a 200 ball 50.. well Cook tries but is out of form. 

Everyone in our squad from Root down are great One Day players who take games away from the opponents.  These guys aren't going to get a 200 ball 50. 

And the hyperbole about losing (we haven't even lost yet).. Well the last 2 tests we dicked the worlds best team.. Why SHOULDN'T we be able to lose a game without every former English cricketer/media losing their minds?  We're losing against a great team with the best batsman in the world.. Get over it (not you, everyone). 

It just seems to me that 2 weeks ago it was "THIS IS TEST CRICKET AT IT'S BEST!!!!!!" and now it's "ENGLAND ARE A SHAM AND WE'RE NEVER COMING BACK!!!!!!" - it's seesaw, reactionary nonsense.  We're gonna win the series, who gives a flying **** if it finishes 3-2? 

Edited by lapal_fan

10 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Yea, sometimes.

Listen, the game has moved on from Aggers and Boycott.  If you're on about trying to "get in" and grinding out a 200 ball 50.. well Cook tries but is out of form. 

Everyone in our squad from Root down are great One Day players who take games away from the opponents.  These guys aren't going to get a 200 ball 50. 

And the hyperbole about losing (we haven't even lost yet).. Well the last 2 tests we dicked the worlds best team.. Why SHOULDN'T we be able to lose a game without every former English cricketer/media losing their minds?  We're losing against a great team with the best batsman in the world.. Get over it (not you, everyone). 

It just seems to me that 2 weeks ago it was "THIS IS TEST CRICKET AT IT'S BEST!!!!!!" and now it's "ENGLAND ARE A SHAM AND WE'RE NEVER COMING BACK!!!!!!" - it's seesaw, reactionary nonsense.  We're gonna win the series, who gives a flying **** if it finishes 3-2? 

It was "test cricket at it's best" because it was exciting, not because England were performing brilliantly with the bat.

Of course we should be able to lose (we're very good at it!) and take it on the chin. But there's no denying our batting has been woeful for a long time now. I think we've passed 500 just 3 or 4 times in the last 4 years? We desperately need a player like the Cook of old who can bat all day. Root had that potential, but these days he converts very few 50s into 100s. On their day all our batsman can be superb, but we disintegrate as one so damn often, we're like a sandcastle when the tide comes in. It's just so horribly predictable!

• Like 3

Anyway - forget England; what a good win for Warwickshire; surely must go up this season. BUT .. a bit worrying about the players who have left or leaving. Chopra went for domestic reasons I believe, Clarke - possibly perceived as too old now ; Evans - a white ball player only ? ; now Poysden going/gone and Chris Wright. Anyone else nervous about all this ?

• Like 1

The Selectors;

"Right, who's next?"

What kind of shitty, hanging outside your off stump, wussy wristed, nothing shot was that Jennings?

See you later.  

Waiting for the inevitable "Let's wheel Gary BASTARD Ballance out again shall we?  Surely he's improved." 

Cooks was slightly more forgivable. 

5 hours ago, veloman said:

Anyway - forget England; what a good win for Warwickshire; surely must go up this season. BUT .. a bit worrying about the players who have left or leaving. Chopra went for domestic reasons I believe, Clarke - possibly perceived as too old now ; Evans - a white ball player only ? ; now Poysden going/gone and Chris Wright. Anyone else nervous about all this ?

Losing Poysden seems a mistake, I like him. Generally though Ashley Giles knows what he's doing. We had a team made almost exclusively of older players and there was a clear need  to change that and rebuild the squad.  I trust Gilo.

40 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

The Selectors;

"Right, who's next?"

What kind of shitty, hanging outside your off stump, wussy wristed, nothing shot was that Jennings?

See you later.  

Waiting for the inevitable "Let's wheel Gary BASTARD Ballance out again shall we?  Surely he's improved." 

Cooks was slightly more forgivable. 

Both openers have been appalling all summer, with only one half way decent knock between the pair of them.

• Like 1

Â