Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

FFS.  I tell you what, get fat boy GARY BASTARD BALLANCE out the **** cupboard, as shit as he is, he's not Jennings shit. 

**** him off ffs. 

Get Bell back. 89n.o at the minute. 

Anyone but that dozy looking gobshite.

Cook is done too.  I've been really patient with him, but 100 every 30 innings isn't useful for a team wanting to be the best in the world. 

We're in trouble up top.  There's hardly anyone in counties putting pressure on the National Team, everyone is shit. 

• Like 1

Another predictably spineless performance from the top order.

Given that our ODI side consistently makes massive scores, I suggest putting Roy, Hales & Morgan into the test side and just telling them to play their normal game.

21 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

Another predictably spineless performance from the top order.

Given that our ODI side consistently makes massive scores, I suggest putting Roy, Hales & Morgan into the test side and just telling them to play their normal game.

It just wouldn't work.

ODI cricket is monumentally different to Test Cricket. 

I mean, yes, those batsmen could play well, and let's face it, who wouldn't do better than 4 0's Jennings? But I mean, you can't tell them to play as they do in ODI.  Buttler just got out for 21 playing that very way. 

We desperately need to teach the batsmen how to play defensively.  Chasing shots and balls that aren't there is what's killing us.  Who gives a shit if you have 12 balls and score 0 runs?  Stay in, frustrate the bowlers to make them think their plan isn't working, get more bad balls, THEN start picking your shots.  Today was a good wicket for batting, and we've thrown away 4 wickets in it.  

We gotta learn to stay in before we attack teams, particularly with a new ball. 

This team would be so much better if they had an opening partnership that could last an hour on a regular basis, even if they don't score much.  Seems pretty obvious, but I'm not sure how much 'stickability' and patience is looked as a positive trait by the coach/selectors.  To be fair I don't really have any suggestions, since Hameed's form deserted him.

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Excellent stuff from Curran.

One of his brothers took 5 today and his other brother made his debut for Northants yesterday.

Could we have the three of them in the England side at some point? :)

5 for 28 for Tom ( also scored 43 with the bat , batting at number 8  )

lets hope Sam can get similar bowling figures

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

his other brother made his debut for Northants yesterday. 

And finished his debut today! Crazy game at Durham.

Ben Curran opened both N-hants innings and scored 11 and 11 FWIW. In a match where there were only three innings over 30?!?!

Still nice to see him following in his fathers footsteps and god knows we could do with some batsmen!

9 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

It just wouldn't work.

I mean, yes, those batsmen could play well, and let's face it, who wouldn't do better than 4 0's Jennings? But I mean, you can't tell them to play as they do in ODI.  Buttler just got out for 21 playing that very way. 

It was a tongue in a cheek comment... and it probably wouldn't work, but the point is that it couldn't possibly be any worse than our current batting. I can't believe that Roy for example could be a worse opener in the test side than Cook or Jennings.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

It just wouldn't work.

We desperately need to teach the batsmen how to play defensively.  Chasing shots and balls that aren't there is what's killing us.  Who gives a shit if you have 12 balls and score 0 runs?  Stay in, frustrate the bowlers to make them think their plan isn't working, get more bad balls, THEN start picking your shots.  Today was a good wicket for batting, and we've thrown away 4 wickets in it.  

We gotta learn to stay in before we attack teams, particularly with a new ball. 

Just make Trott batting coach.

• Like 2

Â