Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

4 minutes ago, Risso said:

Both openers have been appalling all summer, with only one half way decent knock between the pair of them.

I know it's contradictory to what I said just yesterday. But surely the game plan today would have been "leave anything you don't have to go for, don't go chasing the ball & cover your off stump".

It took **** 5 balls for that to be forgotten and it's frankly unforgivable. 

It wasn't even that good of a delivery, it was swinging out, and would have hit maybe 4th or 5th stump! 

NEXT! 

• Like 1

Moeen is making a timely 190* with Bairstow injured I presume for the next test. Bring him and Curran back for JB and Rashid. 

As for the openers, well Cook can't be long for this side, he chucks in the occasional double hundred then offers very little thereafter. He has had some good balls this summer but we may be needing a double change soon. Might as well give them the series though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, West said:

Jennings is so stiff, someone made a good point that he bats like he's facing a bowling machine. Must be much better options in county cricket. 

Yes. Moeen.

I watched him make a lovely 100 on Friday against the bears in t20, now he's 100+ not out for Worcs in 4 day.

Get him in and tell him he's there to stay.

Keeping switching players and not sticking with them is killing them mentally. 

45 minutes ago, Rodders said:

That's 200 now for Mo. Marvellous stuff, I think he will be in the side one way or another after that. 

Excellent innings.

Can someone tell me why it shouldn't go;

Cook

Mo

Root

Woakes

Bairstow

Stokes

Buttler

Rashid

Broad

Anderson

There's strength in batting all the way down to 9 really.  Woakes is a more classy strokes player than anyone beneath him, plus he can obviously bowl.  

You've got 2 spinners, 6 (maybe 7) all rounders, 2 fast bowlers and a couple of batsmen.  

1 hour ago, West said:

Jennings is so stiff, someone made a good point that he bats like he's facing a bowling machine. Must be much better options in county cricket. 

I'd like to know how the conversation goes when they finally drop a batsman.  They must tell them to go back to county cricket to fix their technical flaws, but then it seems they get recalled and get out in the exact same way over and over again.  Do they actually try to work on their technique, and do the selectors even bother checking them out before recalling them?  Just seems like we go round and round in circles.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, veloman said:

^^^^^^ Well,  Curran then perhaps ?

Well with that wealth of experience, and potential match winners, I'd be all for bringing in someone like Curran, or even someone who is doing great in 4 day games.  We don't need anymore middle orders, we have 5 in their primes. 

We need a new opener to take the Cook mantle in a couple of years or a new Jimmy Anderson. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Can someone tell me why it shouldn't go

Yes.

Moeen isn't an international opener; Woakes certainly isn't good enough to bat 4, and we shouldn't be dropping Pope straight away. And Bairstow will be out for the next one, won't he?

• Like 2

Yeah he's in great form! Add it to the century in the T20 and his confidence is sky high. I think if Bairstow is ruled out of the next test he would be fighting hard with Curran for that spot. 

I'd bring Mo in and drop Pope down to 6. Stick No in at 3, Root at 4 then Stokes and Buttler. And credit to those two given the whole dropping Curran decision. Not that that question was over better talent obviously. 

Nice to see Buttler and Stokes actually bat sensibly. They were never going to save the game, but perhaps the top order can at least learn something from watching them.

Cook is busted, has been for a couple of years. Only in the side because we have nobody to take his place.

Moeen I think is a brilliant cricketer, but he seems very much a confidence player, and the last Ashes series destroyed him. Good to see him finding some form again, at his best he definitely improves the team.

• Like 1

On 21/08/2018 at 14:49, lapal_fan said:

Excellent innings.

Can someone tell me why it shouldn't go;

Cook

Mo

Root

Woakes

Bairstow

Stokes

Buttler

Rashid

Broad

Anderson

There's strength in batting all the way down to 9 really.  Woakes is a more classy strokes player than anyone beneath him, plus he can obviously bowl.  

You've got 2 spinners, 6 (maybe 7) all rounders, 2 fast bowlers and a couple of batsmen.  

No Surrey players  is the flaw in that stinker of a line up

On 21/08/2018 at 20:36, Rodders said:

I'd bring Mo in and drop Pope down to 6. Stick No in at 3, Root at 4 then Stokes and Buttler. And credit to those two given the whole dropping Curran decision. Not that that question was over better talent obviously. 

take a winning team and turn it into a losing team and you want to credit the selectors  ?

Stokes should have had to wait , regardless of him being a better player (currently) than Curran

No I agree Stokes should have had to wait as well, I thought it was harsh on Curran and was not a good move for what it said about priorities with this team. But having been controversially picked, I credit Stokes for how it ended up playing and contributing to the side. Curran may have done just as well, and arguably would have offered something different with the ball in India's second innings in particular, but Stokes did well enough to subdue further criticism, had he had a stinker.

On selections generally elsewhere, Bess, Curran, Buttler have all been justified. Pope at 4 was oddly high though, and the opening problem is not an easy one to solve.

54 minutes ago, Rodders said:

No I agree Stokes should have had to wait as well, I thought it was harsh on Curran and was not a good move for what it said about priorities with this team. But having been controversially picked, I credit Stokes for how it ended up playing and contributing to the side. Curran may have done just as well, and arguably would have offered something different with the ball in India's second innings in particular, but Stokes did well enough to subdue further criticism, had he had a stinker.

On selections generally elsewhere, Bess, Curran, Buttler have all been justified. Pope at 4 was oddly high though, and the opening problem is not an easy one to solve.

I always thought  Burns was the more likely Surrey player to get a call up over Pope  , but having called him up they need to give him a fair crack

Â