Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Bairstow out as well for yet another duck, that's 3 in his last 4 innings. He should have been dropped last test, and it seems his insecurity over wicketkeeping has got into his head. He'd better do the job behind the wicket when we field, as, if we'd had another test soon, I'd have been sorely tempted to drop him for a match. 

6 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

As a Northants fan (we're presently not doing you much of a favour away to Kent right now) what have all you Warwickshire fans made of the year in Division 2?

Well ok I guess but they were so poor last season they couldn't have got much worse. They SHOULD go up but (personally) a bit mystified by some of the players they let go - notably Rikki Clarke (look what he has done at Surrey) and Josh Poysden (rare legspinner). Would be VERY happy to see them go up and Lancashire go down !! Haven't seen them as much this year so don't quite know what to make of the younger players coming in. (Stone etc). Wouldn't mind Duckett !

Sack Bayliss.

Drop Root as captain - I guess we'll be lobbying for 3 reviews per innings in future just so he can have his own one every time he bats.

Utter tosspots. Turned the radio off when Bairstow got out.

Edited by snowychap

15 hours ago, veloman said:

Well ok I guess but they were so poor last season they couldn't have got much worse. They SHOULD go up but (personally) a bit mystified by some of the players they let go - notably Rikki Clarke (look what he has done at Surrey) and Josh Poysden (rare legspinner). Would be VERY happy to see them go up and Lancashire go down !! Haven't seen them as much this year so don't quite know what to make of the younger players coming in. (Stone etc). Wouldn't mind Duckett !

I think you'll go up with Surrey. Obviously the weather could yet play it's part but Kent don't have the strength in batting imo, although Henry has been outstanding for them (11 wickets in the match against us). Interesting last few days.

Duckett's gone to Notts last week. A year ago I'd be livid about that. In fairness, whatever quality the lad has (And he's got the quality to be opening the batting for England at some point imo) he needs to settle down, get his head back in the right place and he'll be a hell of a player. He was a bit unlucky to be the one singled out and sent home is AUS but a bit of youthful exuberance and stupidity can be forgiven if you knuckle down. Never going to happen at the county ground though. Stone's been good for you lot when he's played hasn't he?

That seems to be our lot now though. No more mixing it with the big boys with Allan Lamb and Curtley :(

Division two really sucks for the smaller counties imo and the lack of quality down here means the league is often dominated by the two relegated teams and impossible to hold on to better players.

15 hours ago, veloman said:

Stone’s brilliant. To answer @VILLAMARV, I think div 2 has 3 good sides and 6 that are frankly low quality. It’s a battle between the 3 good ones for two places. Who can avoid the rain, which of the 3 can beat each other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Stone’s brilliant. To answer @VILLAMARV, I think div 2 has 3 good sides and 6 that are frankly low quality. It’s a battle between the 3 good ones for two places. Who can avoid the rain, which of the 3 can beat each other.

Stone, Willey and Duckett are the 3 big ones for us over the last few years that will go on to bigger and better things.

Us, Derbs, Leics, Glamorgan and Gloucester, Kent and recently Durham have swapped with Worcs but it's a hard slog for us lot in the 4day format these days. Like you say, one of us will put a good year together and go up maybe (Kent this year) but we'll just come straight back down as it's usually based around a decent overseas player (like Henry) coming in with a bit of quality and rising above the dross, rather than anything sustainable.

The dearth of batting talent across the country right now is pretty evident in the England team. There's little coming through and without the kolpac and overseas players it would be pretty unwatchable down here tbh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

Stone, Willey and Duckett are the 3 big ones for us over the last few years that will go on to bigger and better things.

Us, Derbs, Leics, Glamorgan and Gloucester, Kent and recently Durham have swapped with Worcs but it's a hard slog for us lot in the 4day format these days. Like you say, one of us will put a good year together and go up maybe (Kent this year) but we'll just come straight back down as it's usually based around a decent overseas player (like Henry) coming in with a bit of quality and rising above the dross, rather than anything sustainable.

The dearth of batting talent across the country right now is pretty evident in the England team. There's little coming through and without the kolpac and overseas players it would be pretty unwatchable down here tbh.

As a Sussex fan I'm a bit surprised that we don't lose our best players like the likes of Northants, Leicestershire and the others.  Perhaps that's where the IPL comes in handy as the likes of Archer and Jordan get their big bucks from there and don't feel the need to move to the big counties.  Getting Jason Gillespie as coach helps as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Didn't you rate Jack Brookes ? (he was with Northants wasn't he?)

3 minutes ago, veloman said:

Didn't you rate Jack Brookes ? (he was with Northants wasn't he?)

Brooks was a bit like Gleeson now to me, picked them up in their mid twenties after decent showings in the minor counties, the other 3 all came through the academy.

Gleeson's off to Lancs now aswell. Blessing Muzarabani is coming in on a Kolpac contract I think (Zim)

High hopes for Ben Curran and Vasconcelos looks like he might have a bit about him

tbh, as a club we've been a total shambles, be nice if we found a bunch of youngsters to support for a bit.

10 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Jennings with a poor dismissal against surely he has to be dropped? I don’t follow much county, are there 2 young openers coming through who we can build a team on?

Not really.  Hameed did well as a 19 year old in his debut series in India a couple of years ago but his form has completely deserted him.  Jennings also got a hundred in that series so it may be that he gets to go to Sri Lanka purely based on that despite looking dogshite ever since then.  Opening in England looks like an increasingly difficult occupation and nowadays players aren't geared towards tight defence.  Burns and Denly have been tipped to get a call up but are 28 and 32 respectively.

Yep, whatever happens he'll have gone contributing with bat and having taken a couple of catches already. Excellent stuff.

I think Jennings may just have played himself out of a tour of Sri Lanka. I think simply a couple of solid 30s or 40s here would have been enough for him to stay on as we find a new opener, but given how he has given his wicket away, I think he's probably done tbf. Burns plus place up for grabs in the final rounds of championship games.

Not many stand out options. I know Darryl Mitchell has been put forward in some quarters, which would be thoroughly lovely from a Worcs point of view, but I think his time has gone now, he's 35 later this year!

Â