Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

This should probably be moved to the cricket thread.  The young players now coming in and playing t20 play in a totally different way to Ian Bell does so its right he was dropped from that side. The captaincy might have affected his form with the bat in the longer format, now he has relinquished it lets see if he can start scoring runs. Do I think its sad? Not not really. He has had an excellent career , made good money and is set up for life at the age of 35.

• Like 1

Lol at the calls for woakes to become opening batsman.

Has anyone had a decent career at bowling and then gone on to become an opening batsman as well?

I LOVE the fact we have players as talented as Woakes and Ali coming in down the order.  They can demoralise bowlers and take the game away from thw opposition should they get in.

• Like 1

Yep and Malan's gritty innings looks even better when you have Ali and Woakes putting on 100 for the 8th wicket. Him playing out of his natural way to accumulate runs alongside Root and Stokes has helped put us in a great position. Fantastic effort by England in this second innings.

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Has anyone had a decent career at bowling and then gone on to become an opening batsman as well?

I LOVE the fact we have players as talented as Woakes and Ali coming in down the order.  They can demoralise bowlers and take the game away from thw opposition should they get in.

People are saying that? when he was moved to 6 at Warwickshire he didn't have too much success. He's a no.7 at best. Still don't like Moeen batting at 8 but in match situations like this he is a gem batting there. Best test of the summer. Not quality wise but the closest and it has gone to the 5th day with all three results still possible. 

they were talking about it on TMS. Woakes opening would be ambitious. He had a cracking innings there with Mo - those two bat very well together - had some good partnerships v Sri Lanka last year.  

Stoneman's gritty knock was timely, hopefully he can add another good score in the next match to at least temporarily settle that issue. Malan's knock was a knock of character more than quality but two 60+ scores so far suggests he'll be flying to Australia - more importantly he hung around  long enough to form good partnerships with both Root and Stokes. 

It has been a great test, glorious bank holiday weather, it's been fun, and England should finish it off tomorrow with luck. 

1 minute ago, Rodders said:

they were talking about it on TMS. Woakes opening would be ambitious. He had a cracking innings there with Mo - those two bat very well together - had some good partnerships v Sri Lanka last year.  

Stoneman's gritty knock was timely, hopefully he can add another good score in the next match to at least temporarily settle that issue. Malan's knock was a knock of character more than quality but two 60+ scores so far suggests he'll be flying to Australia - more importantly he hung around  long enough to form good partnerships with both Root and Stokes. 

It has been a great test, glorious bank holiday weather, it's been fun, and England should finish it off tomorrow with luck. 

Ok I rate Woakes very highly. He's even from the same town as me Great Barr but he really isn't an opening batsman. I remember Steve Perryman saying to me at Southampton 2006 2nd eleven trophy semi. This lad can bat. He will be a good no.8. it was Perryman that got Moeen to change from being a seamer to bowling spin, saying he had the perfect spin bowlers action. 

3 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I have  a feeling that the late Bob Woolmer (brilliant for Warks) started off as a swing/medium pacer and then moved right up the order. I  think he may have opened for Kent in limited over games - but it was a long time ago and could easily be wrong.

Yes Woolmer started his career as a no.8 or 9 and theres a few that have begun their careers as a bowler mainly and then turned into batsmen, like KP.  There was talk at Warwickshire about Woakes batting higher up the order and he did for a bit, same with Barker who when he first came to Warwickshire was primarily a batsman but he found that inswinger to the right handed batsmen and then his bowling improved imeasuarebly

7 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Sir Garfield did on occasion bat at number 2 I think

Absolutely written off after the first test, and given a 1% chance of winning even after lunch this afternoon. That was an historic win. It's what test cricket is all about. Great advert for the game, and not something you mind, even as an England fan. Bravo Windies!

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 2

Â