Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

7 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Brisbane test starts tomorrow. Aussies have called up Maxwell as cover for Warner who may be out with a neck injury.

Oh dear what a shame! :ph34r:

I'm pleased with myself that I managed to name the starting the England XI before it was picked. Although I suppose the only question was if they were going to go with Ball or Overton. I bet @lapal_fan is gutted Ballance isn't playing!? :D

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Oh dear what a shame! :ph34r:

I'm pleased with myself that I managed to name the starting the England XI before it was picked. Although I suppose the only question was if they were going to go with Ball or Overton. I bet @lapal_fan is gutted Ballance isn't playing!? :D

Damn straight. 

I think we'll win.

There, I said it.  

• Like 1

Just wanted to get this sorted before the first bowl is bowled.

I'm an Aussie but I support the English in the ashes. 

I just want a good days cricket tomorrow as I have taken the day off and the house will be empty.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

That's the wrong choice for me - it gives the Aussie's a chance to immediately stamp their authority on it - bowling would give us more of an opportunity to ease into the game and series.

Are you Nasser Hussain by any chance?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The first morning of the ashes isn't about conditions, it's about pressure - losing Cook early is a bad moment. We should have put them in.

I kind of understand this but you have to back yourselves to put the runs on the board IMO. If you put the Aussies in and then they go and make a huge total then you lose momentum and also show them that you’re scared of their bowling attack. 

I’d always be playing the conditions and backing the team to perform. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

That's the wrong choice for me - it gives the Aussie's a chance to immediately stamp their authority on it - bowling would give us more of an opportunity to ease into the game and series.

I thought so too... but the pitch is soft and expected to really harden up in the next day or so, so I can see why Root has chosen to bat. Decent first session all in all. But they've got the covers on now :(

9 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Massive, massive pressure here - if we lose another quick one we could be looking down the barrel of a very short score.

this isn't a case of after the fact here, but I think in 95% of Tests I've seen of late, the tactic is bat first and put the pressure on. We don't seem to do well batting second.

And Vince has been a very pleasant surprise so far, a good gritty 50 from Stoneman too. Need another solid partnership here before the 2nd new ball.

Edited by Rodders

Vince did a great job. Everyone except Root and Cook, ironically, dug in and played well. Starc and Lyon always looked dangerous. Honours even after day 1 I think.

This is the weakest Aussie side I can remember in my lifetime, I think we'll do alright in this series. There, I've cursed us.

Well, it would appear that as a huge fan of Cook, I may have panicked like a big wuss early doors.Nice to see batsmen who aren't Cook and Root get runs - I think we're in a reasonable position and should be able to make a game of this one - I make Australia favourites from this position, but I think it bodes well for the series.

• Like 1

Â