Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Thought Bears were about 15 short after the start we had but the bowlers have turned up big time! Glamorgan 4 down inside the power play, perfect. Just Rudolph to get rid of here really and you'd think that would be that. 

12 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Well, that's that then.

We've never got near 200 this season  (feels like).

Love to be proved wrong, but we've as good as lost already.

Apart from the quarter final, but yeah, I know what you mean.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Avfc96 said:

Our running has been shocking in the final, so many 1's that could have easily been 2's and Pollock being run out. 

Hain was struggling wasn't he. We did well. Notts were just too good. We needed a fast start like in the semi to chase that type of total. In Guerney and Ball that have two very good one day bowlers.  Pollock will learnt from that mistake. Great prospect

Edited by PaulC

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Hain was struggling wasn't he. We did well. Notts were just too good. We needed a fast start like in the semi to chase that type of total. In Guerney and Ball that have two very good one day bowlers.  Pollock will learnt from that mistake. Great prospect

Agree about Pollock, he's had a brilliant debut season and his performance in the semi-final was fantastic.

10 hours ago, Avfc96 said:

Agree about Pollock, he's had a brilliant debut season and his performance in the semi-final was fantastic.

I think we just have to take the positives from it. Giles and Troughton have transformed the side from ageing to young and to reach the final was a major achievement. Stone bowls at 92 mph, seriously quick by any standards and in Hain, Sibley, Hope, Pollock and Thomason the future looks better than it did at the start of the season

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Thoughts on the Ashes squad? I think Adil Rashid is more than a tad unlucky not be going as the second spinner. The selectors obviously see a bright future for Mason Crane, so want to give him a chance.

• Joe Root (Yorkshire) captain
• Moeen Ali (Worcestershire)
• James Anderson (Lancashire)
• Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire)
• Jake Ball (Nottinghamshire)
• Gary Ballance (Yorkshire)
• Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)
• Alastair Cook (Essex)
• Mason Crane (Hampshire)
• Ben Foakes (Surrey)
• Dawid Malan (Middlesex)
• Craig Overton (Somerset)
• Ben Stokes (Durham)
• Mark Stoneman (Surrey)
• James Vince (Hampshire)
• Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)

Edited by dAVe80

2 Surrey players gives us a fighting chance of winning , but we probably needed 3  to be safe :) 

Roland-Jones  is possibly one that deserved a call  and I'm not sure I'd have picked Dawid Malan

other than that it looks a decent team

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

2 Surrey players gives us a fighting chance of winning , but we probably needed 3  to be safe :) 

Roland-Jones  is possibly one that deserved a call  and I'm not sure I'd have picked Dawid Malan

other than that it looks a decent team

Toblerone Jones is injured unfortunately, or I think he'd have been a shoe in. Hales was mentioned as potentially coming in for Malan, to bat at 5, but the selectors seem to have stuck with their man.

Foakes is a good call from Surrey, as he's a fantastic gloveman. Can't see him displacing Bairstow though, unless they decide to push Johnny up the order.

• Like 3

Yeah, TRJ very unlucky with the injury there.

Malan isn't too bad - probably did enough to warrant being the man with the position to lose first of all.

For me I am flummoxed by Vince. Our number 3 options are frankly dire. Ballance as an alternative to Malan at 5 I'm fine with, but I'm not optimistic we'll end our 50/2 type starts in any of the tests this year. Though Stoneman at least has enjoyed good form since the Windies series.

Bowling wise really unsure about Mason Crane - not sure what he has done really. Just going as a back up. May as well have picked Leach and then have Crane actually playing games with the Lions.

• Like 1

Is there an argument to be made, to get Root to bat at 3? He's normally coming in pretty early in an innings anyway, so bat him at 3, then let number 4 become a problem instead! ;) Well either that, or just bat Moeen at 4. I'm sure he could do it.

Â