Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

25 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Is there an argument to be made, to get Root to bat at 3? He's normally coming in pretty early in an innings anyway, so bat him at 3, then let number 4 become a problem instead! ;) Well either that, or just bat Moeen at 4. I'm sure he could do it.

Let Root bat wherever he's happiest. I don't imagine that's at 3 otherwise he'd have pushed himself up there some time this summer.

This line up could suprise us, I suppose, but I guess we'll still be relying upon runs from Cook, Root and 6-8.

• Like 1

I relent and agree that Root should bat where he's happiest, as skipper no point loading him with more pressure. However I do regret he feels that way. For the last 18 months it's made no difference generally as to when he's come in to face the bowlers, bar maybe a handful of overs. Given his experience, allow Ballance or whoever in at 4 instead who could do with less pressure, but alas that isn't happening.

No it isn't. He threw a lot of punches.

On the Ashes squad, some strange picks. I would've taken Plunkett over Overton, Rashid over Crane and Hales over Vince. The other three could've gone with the Lions anyway and actually got some cricket (Overton and Crane) instead of carrying drinks.

From the squad, I'd go in Brisbane with:

Cook

Stoneman

Root (I know he doesn't want to bat at 3)

Ballance

Malan

Stokes (if available!)

Bairstow

Moeen

Woakes

Broad

Anderson

2 hours ago, chappy said:

On the Ashes squad, some strange picks. I would've taken Plunkett over Overton, Rashid over Crane and Hales over Vince. The other three could've gone with the Lions anyway and actually got some cricket (Overton and Crane) instead of carrying drinks.

Cook

Stoneman

Ballance

Malan

Stokes (if available!)

Bairstow

Moeen

Woakes

Broad

Anderson

I'd go:

Cook
Stoneman
Root
Ali
Malan
Stokes
Bairstow
Woakes
Broad
Anderson
Ball

2 hours ago, chappy said:

Cook

Stoneman

Ballance

Malan

Stokes (if available!)

Bairstow

Moeen

Woakes

Broad

Anderson

Stopped reading. 

21 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Is there an argument to be made, to get Root to bat at 3? He's normally coming in pretty early in an innings anyway, so bat him at 3, then let number 4 become a problem instead! ;) Well either that, or just bat Moeen at 4. I'm sure he could do it.

Yes but Root wants to bat at 4. For me its a fairly weak squad which three areas at the top of the order not sorted., No real pace in the side. The strength is Cook and Root and the lower order Anderson and Broad outstanding but will this be one ashes too many for them. I think the Aussies will win the series but hopefully its close and Stokes is such a tosser to get involved in a brawl. is he crickets Joey Barton? Moeen should bat higher but wont. that 100 the over day! His final 50 coming off 12 balls. He makes Jos Buttler look slow. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes but Root wants to bat at 4. For me its a fairly weak squad which three areas at the top of the order not sorted., No real pace in the side. The strength is Cook and Root and the lower order Anderson and Broad outstanding but will this be one ashes too many for them. I think the Aussies will win the series but hopefully its close and Stokes is such a tosser to bet involved in a brawl. is he crickets Joey Barton? Moeen should bat higher but wont. that 100 the over day! His final 50 coming off 12 balls. He makes Jos Buttler look slow. 

He's obviously got a huge temper and can't handle his drink.  He's a knob, but a rather expensive lawyer will get him off.  I'd tell him to **** off if I were England though.  Whistling and looking out a window did for KP last time out in Australia.

Cook, Stoneman, Root, Bairstow, Malan, Ali, Foakes, Woakes, Broad, Overton, Anderson

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

He's obviously got a huge temper and can't handle his drink.  He's a knob, but a rather expensive lawyer will get him off.  I'd tell him to **** off if I were England though.  Whistling and looking out a window did for KP last time out in Australia.

Cook, Stoneman, Root, Bairstow, Malan, Ali, Foakes, Woakes, Broad, Overton, Anderson

Too valuable to dispense with. if it was anybody else apart from maybe Root or Anderson they would have got rid of

Â