Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Call me old fashioned but I like to see a right hander and a left hander open the batting. 

Strauss and Cook worked pretty well to be fair. 

I was thinking just how good Vernon Philander actually is. A bowling average of 22.21 and sr of 48.8. In the current era only Dale Steyn matches that with a sr of 41. Compare this to our finest bowler James Anderson an average of 28.27 and sr of of 57.1  and Philander and Steyn don't bowl too often with the duke ball which swings more and for longer. Who is the better bowler the one that has been around longer and played more tests and taken more wickets or the ones with the better sr and average. I think the later. 

Edited by PaulC

Another top game at the Oval last night in the T20...great to see the bowlers come out on top for a change.

KP, much to my surprise, was in fine form. took 26 off one over - which in the end was the difference between the two team.

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 09:41, Gillz said:

Another top game at the Oval last night in the T20...great to see the bowlers come out on top for a change.

KP, much to my surprise, was in fine form. took 26 off one over - which in the end was the difference between the two team.

He had a mare tonight. Which of the Curran brothers do you think will end up having the better careers? I reckon Sam!

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

He had a mare tonight. Which of the Curran brothers do you think will end up having the better careers? I reckon Sam!

Tom could be an outside shout for the Ashes but like you I suspect Sam might end up with the better career

11 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Tom could be an outside shout for the Ashes but like you I suspect Sam might end up with the better career

Two great prospects anyway. Sam only just 19 is ahead of where Chris Woakes was at the same age. 

40 minutes ago, Xela said:

England's women win the World Cup. Good fight back as it looked easy for India at one point. 

It was fantastic. Thought India were nailed on, but fair play to the lasses, they really dug in.

Really enjoyed watching this competition. I never give up on England ladies they've come through many tough games. I knew with India that if you can get their big two or three batsman out the rest will follow. I though the missed stumping by Sarah Taylor, who is brilliant keeper normally, and the dropped catch by Knight might be costly but what a spell from Shrubsole. 6 wickets in a final, it doesn't get any better than that for her.  The ladies have  won 4 world cups now! How many have the men won ;). The ladies rule!

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

For me the big difference is the bowling speeds. Women both low 70mph top, the men bowl 90 mph plus. But they have improved a lot in the last 10 years. We had the Indian batsman in the semi hitting 171 off about 120 balls. The fielding has improved and their throwing arm strength is good.  I think their will always be a gap but its got closer.  also they are slower at running between wickets. men would make many of the ones that women run into twos

Edited by PaulC

On 7/21/2017 at 21:39, PaulC said:

KP was terrible. Running out finch and then just throwing away his own wicket.  Once again only some very good bowling rescued a win from an under par score.

The Currans are both very exciting prospects and its hard to tell who will go further. Tom is currently the better bowler - he's a bit more experienced and disciplined than Sam. Sam probably is the more talented, but he needs to get some consistency. His biggest improvements this year have actually been with the bat - Alec Stewart said he reckons he might be a better batsmen than bowler in the end.

I think Tom will end up being the one who plays for England most and has a better career - think Sam will be a top county player but will become one those players who is both a good bowler and good batsmen - but not great enough in either discipline to make the step up internationally. 

20 hours ago, mjmooney said:

How does women's cricket compare with the men's game? (vis a vis women's football which arouses so much contempt on VT). 

The biggest difference for me between cricket and football is that in women's cricket they bring the boundaries in, in other words make the field smaller, so really while there are obvious differences between the strength and general skill levels between men's and women's cricket, it's not as marked as in football, where I'm watching a lady goalkeeper trying to fill a full-sized goal meant for 6ft4 men and looking a bit daft sometimes.  

11 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

The biggest difference for me between cricket and football is that in women's cricket they bring the boundaries in, in other words make the field smaller, so really while there are obvious differences between the strength and general skill levels between men's and women's cricket, it's not as marked as in football, where I'm watching a lady goalkeeper trying to fill a full-sized goal meant for 6ft4 men and looking a bit daft sometimes.  

True but the stumps are still the same height and the wickets are still 22 yards I think anyway. To be honest I don't know why there is a need to compare anyway. Men will always have the physical advantage even though women are getting stronger. Some of those Indian batters couldn't have been over 4 ft 10

See that Rikki Clarke's gone back to Surrey, all of a sudden. 

SURREY CCC HAVE RE-SIGNED ALL-ROUNDER RIKKI CLARKE FROM WARWICKSHIRE ON A TWO-YEAR DEAL.

Clarke, 35, first played for Surrey at the age of nine and made his debut for the club in 2001, representing Surrey for the first seven years of his professional career, winning the County Championship, Benson & Hedges Cup and the first ever Twenty20 Cup.

He has since represented Derbyshire and most recently Warwickshire, where he has won all three domestic competitions.

A Guildford CC player since an early age, Surrey CCC Director of Cricket, Alec Stewart, says that Clarke will provide added experience, balance and quality to the club’s squad.

Â