Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Middlesex appealing their relegation 

they got done for 2 penalty points for slow over rate on a game that was abandoned due to a crossbow being fired onto the pitch and they are arguing it deprived them of a chance to pickup the over rate

On 28/09/2017 at 23:39, dAVe80 said:

You know what, thinking on, screw it! Let Stokes off, make him captain, and let him punch **** out of the Aussies (especially Dave Warner) ;)

As an Aussie I don't mind this. I really really can't stand Warner!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Middlesex appealing their relegation 

they got done for 2 penalty points for slow over rate on a game that was abandoned due to a crossbow being fired onto the pitch and they are arguing it deprived them of a chance to pickup the over rate

Strange situation. If they win, Hampshire could appeal, that they went into the last day against the bears only needing to draw. And they did by scoring at about 1.2 runs per over. If they had upped that to about 2.2 an over they could have won. Not an unrealistic target.

4 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Good news for England - James Pattinson to misses the whole Ashes series through injury.

What's the Aussie bowling attack going to be, do you think? Stark, Hazlewood, Cummins, and Lyon are givens, I take it?  

7 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

What's the Aussie bowling attack going to be, do you think? Stark, Hazlewood, Cummins, and Lyon are givens, I take it?  

If fit, yep. Starc's not bowled for months though and is very injury prone... Hazlewood is recovering from injury too. Not a lot in reserve if these two break down again.
Cummins & Lyons seem good to go. Lyon is massively improved of late, a real danger now.

Batting wise, Australia are in a similar place as England - a couple of top class players, plus a bunch of guys struggling to prove themselves.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

If fit, yep. Starc's not bowled for months though and is very injury prone... Hazlewood is recovering from injury too. Not a lot in reserve if these two break down again.
Cummins & Lyons seem good to go. Lyon is massively improved of late, a real danger now.

Batting wise, Australia are in a similar place as England - a couple of top class players, plus a bunch of guys struggling to prove themselves.

Who is waiting in the wings, aside from Coulter-Nile, and Bird? Anyone we should be aware of?

6 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Who is waiting in the wings, aside from Coulter-Nile, and Bird? Anyone we should be aware of?

I think the only other guy in with a shout is Jason Behrendorff - quick and dangerous left armer, but in the tradition of Australian fast bowlers, very injury prone! Aussies badly need Starc and Hazlewood to be fully fit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Really interesting listen this, even though it has brought back some horrible memories! From BBC 5live:

Pomnishambles: The Inside Story of the 2013-14 Ashes Whitewash

"Pathetic", "humiliating", and "An absolute hammering." These are some of the fairer evaluations of England's 2013-14 Ashes tour of Australia. Officially ranked as their worst ever tour down under, why did it go so horribly wrong? And what lessons can this year's squad learn from the 5-0 whitewash? Michael Vaughan and Tom Fordyce find out from Graeme Swann, Mitchell Johnson, Jimmy Anderson and other key figures from both sides who were there as the disaster unfolded.

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Really interesting listen this, even though it has brought back some horrible memories! From BBC 5live:

Pomnishambles: The Inside Story of the 2013-14 Ashes Whitewash

Yeah that was an absolute disaster but there is no way they should have played back-to-back Ashes which won't be a problem this time.  Imagine going through a gruelling 5 match series to win the urn and then a couple of months later try and defend them away from home.  No wonder so many of the team never played again, though the KP thing to this day remains utterly ridiculous.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yeah that was an absolute disaster but there is no way they should have played back-to-back Ashes which won't be a problem this time.  Imagine going through a gruelling 5 match series to win the urn and then a couple of months later try and defend them away from home.  No wonder so many of the team never played again, though the KP thing to this day remains utterly ridiculous.

I recall it was that way, due to the world cup. The KP thing still wrangles me a little. I'm fully aware of the history, but it seems as if he was slightly ostracised from the group. I think there was definitely a clique of senior players (Swann, Anderson, Broad, and Prior) who had a lot of power in the dressing room, and as KP wasn't part of that, he was easy to scapegoat.

Listening to the full thing also makes me dislike Swann a bit (although I'll always respect him as a player). Always seems full of himself, and a bit of a snidey git. 

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

yeah, Swann strikes me as a bit of a nob tbf. 

It was a good podcast, and whilst he smashed us, it was quite nice hearing from Mitch, I mean it was one hell of a response to that song :thumb:

I laughed a lot when he said he was singing "Let it Go" in his head, when the Barmy Army started singing his song.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

It was a good podcast, and whilst he smashed us, it was quite nice hearing from Mitch, I mean it was one hell of a response to that song :thumb:

Yeah I'd love to sort out Swann's underbite using a brick wall.  Unfortunately he's working for TMS and BT Sport during the Ashes so it will be hard to avoid him.  Unless he decides to pack it in and come home after three Tests again.

On 10/11/2017 at 02:04, Rodders said:

Yeah, can't forgive him for bottling it and retiring half way through an Ashes series so as to keep his average under 30. Tosser.

On 10/11/2017 at 01:41, dAVe80 said:

I recall it was that way, due to the world cup. The KP thing still wrangles me a little. I'm fully aware of the history, but it seems as if he was slightly ostracised from the group. I think there was definitely a clique of senior players (Swann, Anderson, Broad, and Prior) who had a lot of power in the dressing room, and as KP wasn't part of that, he was easy to scapegoat.

Yes, but at least we replaced KP effectively...  imagine how bad the decision would look if our middle order hadn't been so brilliant since we sacked him.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Â