Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Well the Pixel phones are not cheap are they

Google clearly targeting Apple users at the higher end of the market. That must be where the money to be made is

How do the specs compare to the top end Android phones already out? 

I guess Microsoft will launch their Surface phone next...

That enormous bottom edge makes me appreciate Samsung a lot more. If you're going to have massive bezels, stick physical buttons on there, don't waste the edges and then take away a whole area of my screen for buttons as well.

• Like 1

I've been mooching about social media and it seems to be 99.99% people saying it's well over priced which was exactly my first thought. The Oneplus 3 is £250 less.

I wonder how Google are gonna play this? 

I wish them a lot of luck. The reviews are going to have to be spectacular at that price point. It's the same price as an iPhone but it won't hold its value like an iPhone. 

18 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

I wish them a lot of luck. The reviews are going to have to be spectacular at that price point. It's the same price as an iPhone but it won't hold its value like an iPhone. 

It won't have the same "appeal" as an iPhone either. 

Pixel comes in two sizes, 5” or 5.5”, and three colors: Very Silver, Quite Black and our limited edition for the U.S. only, Really Blue

:lol:

The cheapest Pixel XL is £719.00, by comparison my 6P cost about £429 from memory, thats a massive leap in pricing which does put them into the iphone territory which makes it an even harder sell.

With all the other stuff going on at Alphabet you do wonder if the bean counters have taken control.

I think they've just abandoned the race to the bottom of the market. It'll show what a really top end Android phone can do.

If you want a cheap Android, there are many of them. There are a range of Android 6.0 handsets available on Amazon, delivered from the UK at £60-70. If you want a high end, you've got the flagships. And if you want something in between, there are hundreds if not thousands of them all with different features and functions.

I'm surprised Google are still making handsets.

• Like 1

Totally agree but for the XL they are in the same marketplace as the Note 7. 64gb version unlocked from Carphonewarehouse £699.00. So more expensive with less memory than the 7. There was a bit of a backlash when they brought out the Nexus 6 as the price had gone up dramatically from the 5 so not surprised its happening again.

As others have said it will need to be the best android handset out there to justify that price tag and I dont see too many Samsung fanboys or iphone users making the swap so not sure who they would be targeting with it.

I wasnt considering the move from my 6P as I am more than happy with it so will be interesting to see how the reviews shape up.

Did I miss the Andromeda announcement yesterday? 

26 minutes ago, limpid said:

They don't care how many they sell.

Course they do. They could afford not to sell many, but they sure as heck want to sell loads. The profit from top end phones where the software and hardware manufacturer are the same is huge. Additionally, they want to take market share from Apple in particular.

Big business doesn't care about making (more) money is not something I see written down very often.

So do they make more money from Pixel owners than they do from Samsung Galaxy owners or Motorola owners etc. Not enough to justify its existence.

Nexus phones were supposed to be reference devices for programmers & developers and that obviously at times held them back as it was as close to a pure android experience you could get. Motorola showed what you could with pretty much the same thing with a few little tweaks added to improve the user experience and from that point on maybe Google took the decision to be not held back be the previous limitations of the OS which does explain why Nougat was released before the new handsets which has happened previously and why the Pixel Launcher and android assistant as it appears on the pixel will not be available for other handsets for the foreseeable future.

23 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

So do they make more money from Pixel owners than they do from Samsung Galaxy owners or Motorola owners etc. Not enough to justify its existence.

Google basically give away the Android software to other phone manufacturers and make money based on the people (phone users) using their software.

These expensive new pixels high end phones have very large profit margins - sale price is way more than build price (for apple at least). For the money Apple and Samsung will have economy of scale in terms of recurring costs, which Google will not yet have, but if you think about it Google's success with Android has been gazillions of users all using their software, and from each user Google makes a small amount of money. Apple, for example makes a huge amount of money from each user, because they make the hardware and the software on their phones. If Google can do the same, they will get the best of both profit methods - money from other manufacturers phones being used and sales from Play and from adverts and also money from their own hardware.

25 minutes ago, blandy said:

Course they do. They could afford not to sell many, but they sure as heck want to sell loads. The profit from top end phones where the software and hardware manufacturer are the same is huge. Additionally, they want to take market share from Apple in particular.

Even if they sell in bucket loads, I suspect the total profit will be less than a second of advertising revenue. They wouldn't give their staff 20% of their time to work on their own projects if they were only driven by money. They'd work them as hard as Apple work their staff. NB. I'm not saying they aren't driven by money, but it's clearly not their only driver.

I don't think I understand the reference to Apple. If the Pixels are wildly successful they will still make almost no impact on the iPhone market share. That's for Samsung, HTC, Sony, LG etc to do. I genuinely don't know where you are going with that. Google and Apple are barely in the same markets. Primarily, one sells advertising and services and the other sells hardware.

25 minutes ago, blandy said:

Big business doesn't care about making (more) money is not something I see written down very often.

Indeed, and I didn't say that.

1 minute ago, limpid said:

Google and Apple are barely in the same markets. Primarily, one sells advertising and services and the other sells hardware.

At the moment... see my post above.

2 minutes ago, limpid said:

Indeed, and I didn't say that.

You implied it, clearly - "they don't care how many they sell" - the more they sell the more money they'll make, so yes, of course they care - they want to make more money. Not caring how many they sell would be the opposite of that.

1 minute ago, blandy said:

You implied it, clearly - "they don't care how many they sell" - the more they sell the more money they'll make, so yes, of course they care - they want to make more money. Not caring how many they sell would be the opposite of that.

I don't understand that leap. They might be selling them at a loss.

Â