• £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree. If City really want him then lets take 'em to the cleaners. They seem happy to tell us how rich they are the rest of the time so lets see the colour of their money now - if bloody Joleon Lescott is worth £24 million Milner is worth at least £30million!!

City fan here, comes in peace.

I think James Milner's words about silverware are key. Whilst he might have a better chance of winning things here than at Villa Park in the medium term, we're nowhere near that level yet, and mightn't ever be. If United bid for him, or Chelsea, or even Arsenal should they sell Fabregas, then he'll most likely go there rather than to us.

Sadly, Milner's arrival would almost certainly see us move Stephen Ireland on, which will be sad, but he's not performed over the last year, and unfortunately players are only judged on their last season nowadays. Stephen Ireland is as good a young player as i've ever seen, better than Milner, but the new gaffer doesn't fancy him so that's that.

From a Villa view, though, let's say a deal was made at around £25m, possibly a bit more. Whilst disappointing to lose your best player, O'Neill makes players, and i'm sure he'll buy wisely, spending the cash on three or four signings and that being enough for you to improve again next season.

Milner going your direction and Ireland + £20 million wouldn't be the worst bit of business in the world, or even Ireland + Onuoha and £15 mill.

Thing is, player swaps generally don't happen in the topflight.

I also get the feeling that Jimmy -if he moves at all will only go to a bigger club. At this point in time you can't offer him any more than we can. That may change if you secure CL football next year and we don't, but that's far from a banker. There is also the danger that if he goes to Citeh he could be in a situation where you have a new manager by January. New manager, new ideas. Someone who decides to tear the thing up and start again on a whim. It can't be the most settled of environments, lets be fair.

Jimmy might find himself played out of position or not even played at all. Part of the attraction when he joined Villa was joining a settled environment for pretty much the first time in his career and a manager he trusted.

He might jettison all that if one of the bigger sides come in, but not sure he'd take the punt on Citeh being able to justify that kind of gamble.

As you say, United or Arsenal and it would be a different story.

It'd be £30m from a team without a bottomless pit of money. Just for Man City though it's £50m. Plus Ireland. What they gonna say, they don't have the money? Milner's not worth that? Jog on then.

I do think the squad needs freshening up, so Milner leaving could be a blessing if we get in excess of 30 mill for him.

I like the optimism , but if MoN were to strip the team down to the bare essentials and rebuild around a couple players, Milner would be first choice every single time. Followed by Young, Gabby and Downing (in that order).

A Chelsea insider said: "Losing out to City for Robinho was embarrassing at the time, even if it did turn out to be a lucky escape.

"But we are determined to get our man this time and we are very confident it will happen."

Pathetic insider there.

£30 million to Chelsea. I'll have some of that.

Milner who can also play at right back.... :rollseyes:

So the chance to team up with international colleagues John Terry, Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole could prove irresistible

Yes, I'm sure that would be the clincher for anyone :lol:

From the comments made recently I think he will be off. When players say they don't know where they are going to be playing next season then it's kind of all over. It's one thing trying to crerate a chance for Heskey and another setting up Drogba for example. There is a small rumour about Lampard going around as well so maybe the papers are not making things up this time.

Yeah I'm afraid once the big one or two clubs calling its rare you see a player turn it down.

We could do an awful lot with £25-30 million, unfortunately we won't get another James Milner with that but we'll replace him and move on. Obviously the one worry it players prices will start to go up once clubs know how much we have to spend so some sort of swap deal could be best for us. Not that they happen too often mind.

We should hold out for £ 35 million if its Citeh or Chelsea. Make it a British record transfer. That will get us 3 players of equal or potentially equal ability.

We've got to be pragmatic on this one folks!

If he leaves for city ill probs end up hating him more than barry. Sideways step not in the champions league just moving for the cash yet again great way of repaying MON for all the faith he has shown in him, rescuing him from the doomed barcodes and grooming him into a potential future england international. Someone mentioned in this thread would we give up what we have at this club currently for Man City's millions... Hell no that club has no soul and i hope their arab owner gets bored of his hobby and pisses off leaving them in a world of pain.